You are here: Real Ghost Stories :: Misc :: Black Cloud Passing By

Real Ghost Stories

Black Cloud Passing By

 

I'm a 37 years old French and I've been living in Mauritius for more than 3 years now. It's important to say, because being French, I've never been raised in such beliefs as spirits, ghosts or demons.

Mauritius, though, is a place where a lot of people have witnessed paranormal activity of many sorts, but mostly apparitions of human-like or demonic forms, that they interpret as being ghosts or demonic figures. Some figures are so famous that they even get a name so that if you talk about it, anybody would know exactly what you're talking about. I've always been both very skeptical and curious about it.

So here is my story, which happened 3 months ago (Oct 2012). On a Friday night, at 2 am, all the dogs in the neighborhood, mine included, started barking intensely, not howling, just barking but strangely enough, altogether. My dog is a Labrador and he's usually calm and won't bark for nothing. He started barking, but I thought he would stop like all the dogs pretty soon, so I went to sleep. But he kept barking really loud as if he saw something, so I decided to get out of bed to check it out.

I live in a big house near a pond, and there is a dirt path between the pond and the end of my garden, which is fully fenced. I found my dog in the closed patio, which has large glass windows through which one can see the pond and the dirt path. My dog was clearly barking at something which was near the path. At first outside lights were off, so I could not see a thing. I turned the garden lights on, my dog went to the corner of the patio and was intensely barking. So I tried to look in the same direction as him, and suddenly I saw a form, at first indescribable, moving on the dirt path, very smoothly, and silently.

The more I looked at it, the more it took a tangible form of a big black cloud the size of a tall man, floating and moving like a slow flying carpet. It lasted about 15 secs until it passed by and went away, so I had time to really stare at it: I clearly saw two big white dots revolving inside the black cloud while it was moving through the dirt path. It seemed like the cloud was expanding as well. The dog saw it too. I now know my dog felt it before he even saw it, and I also believe I would not have seen it if my dog was not there then. I remember I touched my dog just before I saw the thing.

Some Mauritian people told me that I saw through my dog's eyes because I touched him, otherwise I would not have seen it. While I was staring at the black cloud, I could feel it slowed down very smoothly while passing in front of me, and the mass turned at me, but then speeded up and went away.

I've done some research, so far I cannot relate to other black cloud stories, which are often linked to shadow people, the black cloud was thick, one could not see through it, and it has never evaporated, it just left like a slow and low flying living form. Finally the two big white revolving dots were really impressive, because it was the proof the thing was everything but a bad disguise.

Has anyone seen anything similar?

Hauntings with similar titles

Comments about this paranormal experience

The following comments are submitted by users of this site and are not official positions by yourghoststories.com. Please read our guidelines and the previous posts before posting. The author, Samisan, has the following expectation about your feedback: I will participate in the discussion and I need help with what I have experienced.

Fenrispro (58 posts)
 
4 years ago (2020-06-07)
Thats so horrifying! Anything that scares animals is definitely sinister and evil
Samisan (1 stories) (4 posts)
+2
11 years ago (2013-01-28)
Thank you guys for your interesting comments. All I can add to these is that it was definitely not a human-shaped cloud, it was simply as high as a tall man, and as wide as the path, so probably twice as wide as an adult, but had the form of a cloud, not a human.

The two white revolving dots inside the black mass were the proof it was nothing but human, I would also add nothing but terrestrial as we know it. It did not look at all like a ghost as we imagine them, nor it looked like a shadow man, as the cloud was thick & black and not human-shaped.

It was moving very slowly, and from what I saw I could not think of it moving faster, but who knows what this thing was capable of anyway?

I would not deny the fact that my dog, and all the dogs in the neighborhood felt it way before I could. I also witnessed my dog barking at it as if he saw it long before I could.

Now the question is: what was this? A ghost? I don't believe so. A demon or an alien? That would definitely make more sense in relation to what it looked like.
lostghostgal (69 posts)
+2
11 years ago (2013-01-28)
Sound more like Black Blob/Cloud I seen my over my Bed where I laid down as I see it years ago.
Shlain (13 stories) (246 posts)
+1
11 years ago (2013-01-23)
Samisan,

This sounds like a shadow person taking a different form. If it moved slower when it passed by you its also an indication of intelligence. It noticed you.

"It's important to say, because being French, I've never been raised in such beliefs as spirits, ghosts or demons."

Now you're making me think all french people are this way.
RedWolf (31 stories) (1292 posts)
+2
11 years ago (2013-01-23)
Samisan
This is one scary encounter. I'm glad that you stayed inside and didn't get in the path of this entity. I certainly don't think I would want to be in your shoes.
As for seeing this mass because you touched your dog and seeing this entity through the dogs eyes is local legend.
I did not find out until I was a teenager that when I was young the family dog would get stiff and growl. My mother would look outside and see a woman dressed in a Victorian dress and a man dressed like a Dandy with an overcoat and Top Hat walking on the sidewalk in front of our house and when the man reached for the gate both people disappeared. My mother is not the only person who witnessed one of these events. Neighbors would tell her of seeing people dressed in what they described as old fashioned clothes walking in front of our house then disappear. These people did not believe in ghosts or spirits. In fact the one neighbor told my mother she nearly fainted the first time she saw this. By the way the house I grew up in is still in the family and is still haunted.
batVkitty (11 posts)
 
11 years ago (2013-01-22)
Well, I read somewhere on a website that a guy told his paranormal experience. I don't really remember the story but I will say what I remember. He says that he suddenly woke up in the middle of the night and heard something weird outside his room (his door was closed) and it sounded like something slithering and really heavy was being draged down towards his room. It stopped at his door. A minute later, he saw a Huge shadow that was cloaked, it looked like a man. Where his eyes should've been were just black space and that shadow growled at him and whispered things he couldn't get. I think he then prayed and it went away, but shortly after a black mass came closer and closer at the foot of his bed. The black mass jumped in his bed (he could feel it) and was soon next to him whispering things and it also barked at him. He was so terrified he even called his mom (something he would never do! That's part of the story I read.
Samisan (1 stories) (4 posts)
+1
11 years ago (2013-01-22)
This is more of Mauritian folklore, which suddenly appeared to me as no folklore anymore, only true facts!

My mother in law, who's Mauritian, regularly sees paranomal entities and even communicates with them.

She told me she knew what it was, to her I saw a demon that they call "Rascasse" in Mauritius. Apparently this demon loves to wander in dark places, and many people who work in cane fields saw it at night.

I was told that if you ever try to interfere with the black cloud in motion, it attacks you and then the best you can expect is to faint, or you get beaten to death.

Interestingly enough, during my research on the web, I found a demonic figure called Agramon, who is quite similar looking to what I saw, although it's not mentioned anywhere about the two revolving dots. It's believed to be the demon of fear, who can kill you by taking the form of your deepest fear.

Pretty spooky isn't it? I think I did the right thing by staying in my house while the thing passed by, not trying to see it closer.

You guys who are curious about paranormal activity, should visit indian ocean islands, you should find pretty easily people who pretend to have had such experiences.
rosemay (52 posts)
+1
11 years ago (2013-01-21)
Nope. Never. Sounds pretty freaky. I don't know anything about French folklore, but would be interested in hearing more about seeing through your dogs eyes from touching. It is always wise to pay attention to the animals. They can tell us a lot if we just accept it.

To publish a comment or vote, you need to be logged in (use the login form at the top of the page). If you don't have an account, sign up, it's free!

Search this site: