You are here: Real Ghost Stories :: Haunted Places :: The Old Prison Pub

Real Ghost Stories

The Old Prison Pub

 

I previously posted a story about a strange chant that I heard and I have received some good feedback, so I thought I would also share another story with you. It makes for an interesting read!

Three years ago, I got a job in a pub in my local town. When I told my dad, he told me some history about this certain pub and I was fascinated! The pub is situated next to the town's police station and the when I worked there, the pub was called 'Whittles' but had previously been called 'The Sergeant at Arms' because BEFORE it became a pub, it was part of the town's prison. In the cellar of the pub, there is a blocked off, cemented wall. Behind that wall is actually a whole underground tunnel system, which would have linked that pub to the police station and various other buildings in the area.

Anyway, I worked in this place for just under a year, and while there I started to date the guy that lived there (his parents owned the pub). He told me a few experiences he had had since moving in. He mentioned that on his first night there, he slept in what was then to become the living room. He said he was shaken awake and heard a voice say, "Go home, this is our place." Once he had officially moved in, he went to an upstairs room. He said that room had so many experiences such as the door slamming, rapping on the walls and other strange noises that he didn't feel comfortable in there and moved into the bedroom next door to that.

When I first spent the night there, I was quite excited and also a bit nervous. I wanted to see if I could possibly experience anything but at the same time felt a bit scared in doing so! I didn't hear anything that first night, but I did notice the atmosphere in the pub change during early hours in the morning. The atmosphere became almost oppressive and gave me the impression I was being "watched." I am aware that that may sound a bit corny, but it honestly felt like that!

About 4 months later, I had worked a shift in the pub and it was late at night. The pub was closed and the only people in were the landlords and myself. We were sat at the bar chatting and I heard the men's toilet door open. I was sat with my back to the door and it was about 10 feet behind me. I then heard someone walk across the wooden floor and I heard a sound like keys jingling, but as if the keys were attached to someone's belt and were slapping against this person's thigh as they walked. As I turned around to look, I said to my boss, "Who else is in the pub? I thought everyone had gone home?" and lo and behold there was no one there. I asked if my boss had heard this and he just joked that I'd drank too much! But the noise I heard, especially with the keys, was so loud that I was puzzled why only I heard it!

Another time I was sat in the boyfriend's room and he said that the room felt eerie that night and he was sure something was going to happen. He went to go to the toilet and so I was sat alone on his bed. There was no television on as we were listening to music and I had paused it while he went to the loo. From the middle of his bedroom, I heard a very loud growl. It didn't actually frighten me although it probably should have and for some reason, it made me laugh and I had the urge to growl back... But due to my knowledge of growls usually coming from demons, I chose to ignore it.

Later that night, we both went downstairs to get some crisps. The cellar to the pub was locked (as it always was when not being used) and we had to walk past it to get to the small kitchen for the crisps. We heard a noise behind the cellar door which sounded like someone rustling about 10 packets of crisps together! Very odd. We both looked at each other puzzled, grabbed the crisps and started to walk back upstairs. About 3 steps up, we heard a huge thud in the cellar and a knocking on the door and what sounded like a full box of crisps being kicked down the stairs. We actually ran up the stairs quickly at that, as not only are no crisps stored in the cellar, but we were too frightened to open the door and take a look!

The week after, the boyfriend, his mum and I were sat in the kitchen. Next to the kitchen is a long corridor which leads to the downstairs area of the pub. We were all sat talking and we all heard a little girl run down the corridor and giggle. The boyfriend has a 3 year old niece called Ellie who visited often. She wasn't due to visit that day and so we all stood up and said, "Aww! Ellie's here!" and went out to greet her. There was actually no one there. We were all a bit freaked out that time, because we all heard the running and the giggle very clearly.

The weirdest experience I had was when the boyfriend's parents had gone on holiday and had asked me to stay in the pub for that week and keep the flat upstairs safe. I had just finished a shift and went upstairs to the flat. I decided to phone my boyfriend just as I was opening the door to the flat to ask him what he wanted for tea. He answered the phone and we spoke for about 2 minutes but I couldn't seem to turn the lock in the door. I told him that I couldn't get in the flat and he laughed at me and said that, "Maybe the ghosts didn't want me there." As soon as he said that, the phone signal went bizarre! We both heard about 20+ other voices all speaking at once, none of which were understandable and some of which sounded very panicked. I then managed to turn the key in the lock, opened the door and the voices on our call stopped. We both said that was very freaky and decided to hang up.

Let's just say, the hour I was sat in that flat alone, waiting for him to come back from work was rather unsettling! It probably was just a bad signal and we had somehow crossed wires, but it didn't feel like that!

There were many other things that happened whilst I worked there, such as rapping on the walls, things falling from shelves, but I just got used to it and it didn't bother me after a while. I asked the owners if they had ever considered holding a paranormal night there just to see what was picked up, but they refused saying that they had to live there and would simply rather not know.

Other hauntings by MissKawaii83

Hauntings with similar titles

Find ghost hunters and paranormal investigators from United Kingdom

Comments about this paranormal experience

The following comments are submitted by users of this site and are not official positions by yourghoststories.com. Please read our guidelines and the previous posts before posting. The author, MissKawaii83, has the following expectation about your feedback: I will read the comments and participate in the discussion.

rosemay (52 posts)
 
11 years ago (2013-01-29)
Both lol! Though I like to think us weirdos are the "normal" ones:)
MissKawaii83 (3 stories) (7 posts)
 
11 years ago (2013-01-28)
Oh HA! Thanks Rosemay! So if fit right in at your house?! So do you get a lot of a activity or are you just a bit strange like me? Haha
:)
bizzjoe (1 stories) (162 posts)
+1
11 years ago (2013-01-27)
rosemay: I think the author got insulted because she thought you were laughing at her story for the wrong reasons... I must say, I also found it amusing that she felt like growling back... No harm done
rosemay (52 posts)
+1
11 years ago (2013-01-26)
Oh come on. There are tons of stories about growling from an unseen entity and the reaction is nearly always to run in terror screamin the demon is going to get me. You want to growl back at it! I love it! You'd fit right in around my house lol
MissKawaii83 (3 stories) (7 posts)
 
11 years ago (2013-01-25)
Thank you for your comments guys:)

I must ask Rosemay, why are you laughing so much?! I appreciate opinions of any kind... And you must want to share yours or you wouldn't have commented! Fanks:)
rosemay (52 posts)
+1
11 years ago (2013-01-25)
Oh my goodness, girly! I am rolling here! Glad you chose not to growl back, but that was frikkin hilarious!
Dreamerxx (1 stories) (36 posts)
 
11 years ago (2013-01-25)
Sounds like a very busy place (paranormal) and its a shame the owners are not interested in having a paranormal night, but I can understand why they wouldn't.

Bizzjoe I love crisp butty's but I have mine with cheese sometimes 😊
bizzjoe (1 stories) (162 posts)
 
11 years ago (2013-01-25)
great story about proper ghosts... I love crisps too, the irish tayto brand, but I do like the odd pack of walkers cheese & onion... Mmm nummy... & sometimes I put them in bread... Mmmmm

To publish a comment or vote, you need to be logged in (use the login form at the top of the page). If you don't have an account, sign up, it's free!

Search this site: