You are here: Real Ghost Stories :: Haunted Places :: The Haunted Pub

Real Ghost Stories

The Haunted Pub

 

I haven't written a story in a while but I have a corker for you! This story goes back to when I was 18; I had my 18th birthday a few days before. Anyway, I used to be a painter and decorator and I used to work for my dad. I usually painted houses, private work but on the odd occasion, we would get work in factories, pubs, blocks of flats, that type of thing. When we did pub jobs, we would start at 11 PM, the pub would empty and we could crack on.

One afternoon whilst me and my dad where having a lunch break my dad said that he would like to get his head down (sleep) for half an hour or so. He asked that I wake him when we start decorating again. So, as my dad drifted off to sleep, I walked around the pub, looking at all the memorabilia. This pub is in a place called Raby, in the middle of nowhere. Not far from too far from where I live actually. I was looking around at the pictures of the famous people who had been there and was taking pictures to show friends. On a lot of the walls of the pub, there are or where mirrors and logos of alcohol would be stuck on the glass to promote their beer or spirits. Anyway, I got bored of looking and I sat down next to my dad. Now, on the wall opposite me was a mirror like on most walls and for some reason, I got the urge to take a photo. Back then, I had the Nokia 7650 which was one of the first camera phones that Nokia had brought out. So I did what my brain told me and took a quick snap. The mirror I took a photo of reflected to a different mirror and then reflected to the bar. So, as I took a photograph, I actually took a picture of the bar.

"Hey dad, time to crack on" I said as I put my phone back into my pocket, dad rubbing his eyes "what time is it lad" and me being cheeky, "time to start work" I could tell he wasn't impressed with my smart comment but we did what had to be done and we worked on for 4 or so hours and had another break, finishing off our cheese and onion sandwiches. As I'm sitting down, I was telling my dad about the people who had been in over the years, famous people and footballers. My dad is a MASSIVE football fan. So I took out my phone and started to show these pictures to my dad. We got to the last photo we were shocked. Completely unaware of what I had caught on camera, there was a female figure standing by the bar in grey. This will sound silly but she had red eyes! Anyway, we spoke about it; it could be a camera problem or something, trying to think of a logical reason for this female to be in the picture. Anyway, we cracked on once more until it was time to go home. When it was time, we packed up and went home.

The next day, we started work at the same time but we spoke to the manager of the pub and we spoke about what we potentially had caught on camera, even showing him the picture. He was shocked too and he immediately showed me a plaque on the wall, information of a woman called Charlotte who was burned and killed in a fire before the pub was a pub. According to this plaque, a woman was killed in a freak fire and her soul or spirit resides at the bar.

I hope you like my story. Thanks for reading

Other hauntings by MattyDude2009

Hauntings with similar titles

Find ghost hunters and paranormal investigators from United Kingdom

Comments about this paranormal experience

The following comments are submitted by users of this site and are not official positions by yourghoststories.com. Please read our guidelines and the previous posts before posting. The author, MattyDude2009, has the following expectation about your feedback: I will read the comments and participate in the discussion.

Lealeigh (5 stories) (512 posts)
 
4 years ago (2019-11-26)
I'm sorry. I was talking about a completely different place.

In my defense, when you search for Raby in Google Chrome, all it wants to "talk" about is Raby 'Castle'. After I searched in a different way, I found that:

"Raby is a hamlet located within the Metropolitan Borough of Wirral, Merseyside, England." - per Wikipedia.

It was an interesting read, regardless. Best Wishes to you.

- Maria ❤
Lealeigh (5 stories) (512 posts)
 
4 years ago (2019-11-26)
Hello MattyDude2009,

Is the town where you were working with your father actually called "Staindrop" in County Durham?

I am a descendant of Sir John Neville, 3rd Baron Neville de Raby (and, as a result, a descendant of Charlemagne), according to the lore of my family. Ancestry.com has also confirmed this. I understand that he built Raby Castle in the 14th century.

I am always interested to read anything about the places that I have found in my roots, if we are, indeed, speaking of the same town.

I know that this is an older story and I don't expect to get an answer but thank you for sharing your account!

- Maria ❤
Runswithlydia (1 stories) (27 posts)
 
11 years ago (2012-11-08)
Great story. Haven't been to too many haunted pubs, been to a few I wanted to leave quite quickly. Shame about the picture. Cheers.
DragonStorm80 (1 stories) (440 posts)
+1
11 years ago (2012-11-07)
BadJuuJuu ~ still as crazy as ever my friend 😆

I'd LOVE to go to england and do like a haunted building "tour" this pub would totally be on the list!

Matty ~ Have you ever been back to the pub?
BadJuuJuu (guest)
+1
11 years ago (2012-11-07)
DragonStorm! How have you been?
Matty I would love to visit this pub, but don't imagine I'll be getting to England anytime in the foreseeable...well...ever lol. I can't even find time to visit haunted places where I live 😭.
MattyDude2009 (6 stories) (19 posts)
+1
11 years ago (2012-11-07)
I noticed that too. If someone takes a photo of me, the red of my eyes can sometimes seem like my eye balls have turned demonic! Hehe! 😜 Oh, the cheese and onion sandwiches where the shizzle! Especially because the butter I used was so soft and buttery! Mmmmm then the cheese & onion mixed in...I'll tell you what, Gordon Ramsey hasn't got a chance! Haha! 😁
lsandhu (2 stories) (360 posts)
+2
11 years ago (2012-11-07)
I have blue eyes and they usually look red in photos. Very unfortunate phenomenon. I wonder if ghosts are susceptible to the same problem. P.S. "cheese and onion sandwiches"? Those sound delicious! If you still have the picture, please try to post it.
samtillie (5 stories) (242 posts)
+2
11 years ago (2012-11-07)
Scary...I wonder why she had red eyes? Can anyone she'd any light?
DragonStorm80 (1 stories) (440 posts)
+2
11 years ago (2012-11-07)
That is a pretty biazarre event! At first I thought maybe an optical illusion with the mirrors etc. Or tiredness because it sounds like you did a lot of hours from 11pm and still there in the afternoon.

But I just don't know, it would be great if you still had the picture, have you been back there since this happened?

BadJuuJuu ~ Good to see you back in here, you have been missed ❤
MattyDude2009 (6 stories) (19 posts)
+1
11 years ago (2012-11-07)
Awww I'm glad you like the story. Unfortunately not, I haven't seen that photo for years. I think the last I seen that picture was 5 or 6 years ago. I'm from the Wirral, just outside Liverpool. I'm not sure if I'm allowed to name the pub. Anyway, if you can get into the Wirral and want to see the pub, I will tell you where the pub is and what it's called. A very spooky pub though:P
BadJuuJuu (guest)
+2
11 years ago (2012-11-07)
I'm kind of a sucker for haunted pub stories and loved this! Don't suppose you still have the picture?
IFreakingLoveYou (1 posts)
+1
11 years ago (2012-11-07)
Wow, that sounds crazy! Kinda gave me chills. That's some experience you got there! (:

Have you been back to that pub, or witnessed anything since then?

To publish a comment or vote, you need to be logged in (use the login form at the top of the page). If you don't have an account, sign up, it's free!

Search this site: