You are here: Real Ghost Stories :: Haunted Places :: Gradually Increasing, Slightly Spooky Happenings

Real Ghost Stories

Gradually Increasing, Slightly Spooky Happenings

 

My parents bought the house I currently live in back in the early 90's...I think it was 1994, when I was about seven years old. It is a relatively large house, with six bedrooms and three floors (basement, main level, and upper level with bedrooms and bathrooms.) A contracting company built the house with my Dad's supervision, and it has been in my family ever since. However, from the first day we moved in, I was incredibly nervous being in the house. I felt like something was watching me most of the time, especially when I was alone in my bedroom or when I was going down the stairs. (I felt like something was standing at the top of the staircase, watching me.)

After a couple of months in the new house, things escalated a bit. One night, the window shade on my bedroom window snapped up on it's own. The floors and stairs would creak in a very distinct way, as if someone was walking around in the hallway. At night, every night, my bed would rock back and forth a little bit, like someone was standing at the foot of the bed, shaking it. My sister would hear something knocking on the bottom of her bed at night, and it would stop when she asked.

One evening, around Christmastime, there was a knocking on the walls downstairs, in the living room. My sister and I were running around knocking on other walls, and it seemed like the knocking "followed" us from wall to wall, to the extent that my parents were concerned that there were mice in the walls and called an exterminator. They didn't find anything.

As we got older the activity gradually subsided, to the point where I had mainly forgotten about it or explained it away to myself. I moved out of the house and lived in a series of apartments during college and right after, and nothing out of the ordinary happened at all in any other place I lived. However, I moved back home about a year and a half ago to finish school, and things seem to have perhaps started up again.

The house makes a lot of noise. Right now the floorboards upstairs are creaking. At night, the noise can be loud enough to wake me up. I have a dog I acquired during college and, although she slept in my bed with me while we were living in an apartment, she won't go into my bedroom here, and often seems to be watching something on the ceilings that I can't see.

I find a lot of weird little things. I know this sounds weird, but sometimes random little things will suddenly be on the floor that I don't remember owning or haven't seen in years. The other day I was in the shower, and heard something fall onto the floor, and when I got out of the shower one of my sister's rings was in the middle of the bathroom floor. I have a cat that sometimes knocks stuff off of tables or moves things around, but she wasn't in the bathroom and I don't have an explanation for it, especially since my sister's things are kept in her room and behind a closed door. (She currently lives in Australia and her jewelry box hasn't been opened since 2011.)

The house also makes my fiancé uncomfortable. He is currently living in an apartment nearby because he doesn't want to stay in the house with me. He says he feels like he's being watched, and things do happen a little more obviously when he is around. One night he was staying over, and after we had gone to bed the hallway light came on. He got up, turned it off, and closed the door on his way back to bed. A few minutes later, the door opened a couple of inches. We didn't get back out of bed, but he has refused to stay another night since.

The house is on a plot of land that my parents used as a small hobby farm. We have a large vegetable garden and a small barn with some chickens, my pony mule, and a couple of goats. When we were pulling up some of the dirt for the vegetable garden the first time, we found an old horseshoe. My mom cleaned it up for me as best she could (it's very rusty,) and it's been hanging over my bedroom door for sixteen years. Maybe that is behind some of this.

Nothing aggressive or threatening has ever happened, just mildly curious, and I've never thought to tell anyone about it before now.

Hauntings with similar titles

Find ghost hunters and paranormal investigators from Maryland

Comments about this paranormal experience

The following comments are submitted by users of this site and are not official positions by yourghoststories.com. Please read our guidelines and the previous posts before posting. The author, Wampawhump, has the following expectation about your feedback: I will participate in the discussion and I need help with what I have experienced.

Argette (guest)
+1
11 years ago (2013-03-06)
Antiques In the house might be responsible for some of the occurrences. Entities or energy attached to them, I mean.
Wampawhump (1 stories) (6 posts)
+1
11 years ago (2013-03-06)
Darkness,

All I know is that the house was built on what used to be a thoroughbred racing and breeding farm and is near what used to be a tuberculosis sanatorium. My mother and I love antiques, and most of the things we have and use come from old family hand-me-downs and antique shops. We only ever treat these things as beloved heirlooms and with total respect. My wedding veil and china, as well as various decorative items we are using in the wedding, are all family heirlooms or have been purchased from antique shops, so currently there is a ton of flotsam scattered around all over.
We are also located on a the Patuxent River Wetlands, which is basically a swamp that the water goes through before it connects to the Patuxent river. I don't know if having the water so close makes a difference.
DARKNESS (3 stories) (2022 posts)
+1
11 years ago (2013-03-06)
Wampawhump: As already mentioned these experiences you have that you witnessed and shared with us I feel are strongly related to your house and more then that your land history. There could also be something attached to the horse shoe or some other material object that has been brought into the home. Have you any thoughts on this or know any of your house and land history? Thanks for sharing.

Dan
klll (2 posts)
+1
11 years ago (2013-03-05)
hi, I'm a journalism student in London, and am currently covering supernatural experiences for a forthcoming magazine.

This story really stuck out and if there is anyway to contact you for an interview, that would be really good.

If you are willing to tell me about your experiences, contact me on my email: kendal.lucy.beynon [at] gmail.com

Thankyou!
Kendal
Wampawhump (1 stories) (6 posts)
+1
11 years ago (2013-03-04)
Zack, that's the most telling thing for me, as well. Most of the time, visitors don't comment on the house, but once in a while, some do. I had a boyfriend before the fiancé who said the whole neighborhood made him nervous and refused to even come inside my house, but he was a bit of a weirdo and the farm is very close to the Glenn Dale Hospital, so people tend to think of the area as being creepy when it's really not.
Zack84 (8 stories) (32 posts)
+1
11 years ago (2013-03-04)
Wampawhump,

I found your comment about your fiancé being disturbed by the house while you and your family are not very interesting. I had a very similar experience in my mother's house during high school. All manner of strange things happened there but neither she, nor I were ever afraid to live there. Outsiders on the other hand seemed to loathe the place and refused to stay the night. Occurrences also seemed to intensify in our house whenever someone new arrived as well. In our case it was electrical issues and outages.

Thank you for sharing your account with us, it's fascinating!
imlovinit (11 posts)
+1
11 years ago (2013-03-03)
Sorry I have just read manofmysterys comment asking if you suffer from "bad luck", I'm sure everyone feels like nothing goes right at times I know I do but I mean are you saying that you can totally change luck or play with fate, if so count me in mate
Wampawhump (1 stories) (6 posts)
 
11 years ago (2013-03-03)
Cookie, it's totally cool. Marley's about 11, but she's extremely active. When she's awake, she is getting into things.

Zzsgranny, my Dad built the house himself. The whole town used to be a thoroughbred breeding farm- the racetrack in town is still used to train horses from all over the state. The horseshoe was buried in the dirt, so we know it wasn't off of one of ours- we've had horses since I was little, and it's definitely an older shoe. (not a draft shoe, definitely.)

Argette, nothing can keep this cat out of my stuff. I think part of the reason my dog won't come in my bedroom is because Marley usually sleeps with me and growls at her if she tries to come in.
Argette (guest)
+1
11 years ago (2013-03-02)
Some very good comments already made, so I am not sure if I can add to the discussion. I will say that I have experienced cats that move things, too. I solved the problem by making some rooms off limits and removing breakable items from cat areas. I have experienced odd house noises and another weird thing: Items I am looking for at I we not seen in a while sometimes appear in obvious places after I think about them. This happens sporadically, but when it happens, it happens in clusters.
zzsgranny (18 stories) (3329 posts) mod
+1
11 years ago (2013-03-02)
Wampawhump: I'm curious about the actual age of house. I know your parents purchased it fairly recently (as far as the bank is concerned LOL) but is it an older house? And if so, do you know any of the history of it or the land? That could give you insight about who is there.

I don't know if the horseshoe has anything to do with the activity as some horses throw shoes quite often, but it could've come from someone a long time ago. One clue to its age is the metal used. Iron would have been used during the 1700-1800's and slightly beyond. Other clues would be the positioning of the nail holes and the size of the shoe. Obviously, draft horse shoes would be much larger and would lead one to guess that the land was at one time farmed.

We have a regular poster (who hasn't been on site in quite a while) who is adamant about iron dispelling negativity. I love horseshoes 😊
cookie-eated-me (2 stories) (29 posts)
+1
11 years ago (2013-03-02)
Wampawhump,

You were clear with what you said, but I stupidly had this crazy mental picture of your cat standing on her hind legs, carrying things in her front paws! That's why I asked about your cat. Sorry.

And speaking of your cat, how old is she? Is she playful at all? I'm only asking, because one of my cats shifts stuff when he's playing.
Wampawhump (1 stories) (6 posts)
 
11 years ago (2013-03-02)
Cookie, that's okay! I apologize if I didn't make things clear. C:

Manofmystery, no. None of those things at all.
Manofmystery656565 (6 posts)
-3
11 years ago (2013-03-02)
It looks like to me that there is something in the house. Do you experience bad luck? When you try to excel something comes up to drag you down, when you spend the night in any one's house do you feel there prescence there? I can help.
cookie-eated-me (2 stories) (29 posts)
 
11 years ago (2013-03-01)
Wampawhump,

I do apologise to you. I really did forget that some cats can be thieves, as is yours. More likely, I should've known.

Please accept my apology for jumping to conclusions.
Wampawhump (1 stories) (6 posts)
+2
11 years ago (2013-03-01)
Cookie,

My cat takes things- socks mostly, but also anything she can get in her mouth, and carries it around the house for no reason. Like I said, it's mostly stuff like socks, small stuffed animals or any little thing I leave around the house like pens or napkins. She also takes my wallet out of my purse sometimes and drags it around the kitchen floor. I've seen her do that, so I don't want to immediately jump to conclusions when I find something that I haven't seen in a while lying in the middle of a room- my cat is like a ferret. She just gets into stuff and steals things sometimes.
cookie-eated-me (2 stories) (29 posts)
 
11 years ago (2013-03-01)
aw, you caught me, Rook!

Sorry, but i'm wide awake, and after last night's dream, i'm scared of going to sleep. 😨

Anyway, back to the cat... My Oscar is terrible for walking off with one of his toys, especially if it's his long piece of fluffy thing on a stick.
rookdygin (24 stories) (4458 posts)
+1
11 years ago (2013-03-01)
Cookie,

Isn't it past your bed time? LoL 😉.

I have a cat that will pick up and carry her favorite 'toys' around the house. Or she will carry/knock random things around from room to room so I think its really the personality of each individual cat that comes into play. Just Saying. 😁

Respectfully,

Rook
rookdygin (24 stories) (4458 posts)
+1
11 years ago (2013-03-01)
It sounds as if a 'spirit' that was attached to the property is curious as to what is happening around it. It does not sound threatening, just curious if perhaps a bit mischievous.

You may want to say something out loud concerning your dog not wanting to come into your room, you may find the 'spirit' accommodating on this point... I am not suggesting starting a dialog with the 'spirit' just say something out loud about your dog being afraid your room and that you would like 'her/him' to not be afraid anymore.

Thanks for sharing this experience with us.

Respectfully,

Rook
cookie-eated-me (2 stories) (29 posts)
+1
11 years ago (2013-03-01)
Wampawhump,

I'm not discrediting you or anything, but i'm curious as to how your cat 'moves things around'?

I'm only asking, because I have two cats myself, and neither of them can move things from one place to another. True, the younger one does knock things over, or off my coffee table, but all cats do that.

Cookie

To publish a comment or vote, you need to be logged in (use the login form at the top of the page). If you don't have an account, sign up, it's free!

Search this site: