You are here: Real Ghost Stories :: Ghost Hunting :: My First Ghosthunt

Real Ghost Stories

My First Ghosthunt

 

I took part in my first ghost hunt for Halloween last year. I will try to recite my experience as best I can but if you have any question feel free to ask. The location was at a hotel and bar that has a reputation for been active. The building still trades as a hotel so I will leave it unnamed. Suffice to say we had permission from the owners before going ahead. I am a confirmed believer but have never sought to seek out the paranormal in any way so approached the event apprehensively but open minded. The event was a real eye opener and the story I would like to tell occurred during one of the vigils we held during the night.

I will start with a quick lay out of the area. Beneath the hotel runs a series of tunnels and rooms which make up the cellar. At the far end of the cellar is a narrow tunnel which is used as the barrel run for the bar. We were told that ordinarily this room would be stocked with beer barrels but on this night it was empty. It was in here where we decided to hold our vigil.

The first thing we noticed on entering the barrel run was the cold temperature compared to the rest of the cellar. This could be put down to the time of year and the fact the run has a metal door that could be opened to drop barrels down, which would allow cold air in. The area also had a very strange atmosphere which it hadn't had when visited earlier in the night.

Turning our torches off (we weren't in total darkness due to moonlight shining through the barrel drop doors and an emergency exit light.) we created an energy circle and called out for any presence to make itself known. We were awarded with a soft tapping at the end of the corridor away from the barrel drop. We ruled out pipes as no visible pipes ran through this part of the cellar and the main pipe run was at the opposite end of the cellar. We had explored that area earlier in the night and it is behind a heavy wooden door which blocks out most of the noise. We had an interesting experience there which saw a member of the group run out at high speed.

Anyway back to the tapping. We called out again for the tapping to be repeated and it was, still faint and in the same location. One of the group pointed out a strange shadow that had appeared in the open doorway which joined the barrel run to the rest of the cellar, this was at the same end of the tunnel the tapping had been coming from. We all turned and every member of the group agreed that they could see a shadowy figure at the end of the corridor. From where I stood the shape of a body, shoulders and head could be seen clearly.

We were the only group in the basement at this time but shouted out to see if it was someone who had lost their group. We got no reply but the shadow appeared to move in our direction. We called out again encouraging the figure to approach us; it didn't but did stay in the same position before disappearing. It didn't fade or "walk" away. It was a case of there one minute gone the next.

We moved out of the main barrel run into a side room of the barrel run that was used for storage of old bar furniture. The doorway we used was the only entrance. Away from the two sources of light we'd had before this room was pitch black with the torches off. The moment we walked into the room the atmosphere became very heavy and to me felt hostile, other members of the group later confirmed that they felt unwelcome in the storage room.

We created a circle around an old table and called out for any one present to make themselves known. One of the group facing towards the back of the room said they could see red lights flashing, (Great that's the way my back was facing.) Calling out again we asked if he (the feeling we had was we had a male spirit with us) could do anything else. The sudden loud noise of wood scrapping across stone caused a few screams and numerous torches to be switched on. The table we had circled had visibly turned slightly. All members of the group denied accidentally touching the table so we turned our lights off and asked if he could do it again.

The feeling we got was the entity was a male and the same person who we had seen as a shadow earlier.

We waited and apart from red lights flashing at the back of the room only seen by the same person as earlier nothing happened so we asked, "If you want us to go do something to show us and we will leave."

This was quickly followed by the unquestionable sound of a coin bouncing and settling on the floor behind me. We quickly turned our torches back on and I went to investigate. The only thing I found that could have explained the noise was a 10 pence coin; this could have been here before we had entered but it was a very distinct noise.

Taking that as our queue we left the room and ended our vigil.

Other hauntings by SmokenMirrors

Hauntings with similar titles

Find ghost hunters and paranormal investigators from United Kingdom

Comments about this paranormal experience

The following comments are submitted by users of this site and are not official positions by yourghoststories.com. Please read our guidelines and the previous posts before posting. The author, SmokenMirrors, has the following expectation about your feedback: I will read the comments and participate in the discussion.

geetha50 (15 stories) (986 posts)
 
11 years ago (2013-04-19)
I really liked your account of your experience. I going to agree with Valkricry that your group member deserved what he got. I haven't read your second story on here yet but I am going to but I would love to hear more of your accounts.
SmokenMirrors (6 stories) (78 posts)
 
11 years ago (2013-04-17)
Hi 4d,
I arranged my second ghost hunt not longer after this and have a third ready to go. I have posted another story for the second ghost hunt just waiting for it to clear all the red tape before it shows.
4d (15 stories) (167 posts)
 
11 years ago (2013-04-16)
Haha, yes! 😆 That sounded like it was a blast! Would you go ghost hunting again after this experience? Thanks for the story - 4d
SmokenMirrors (6 stories) (78 posts)
+1
11 years ago (2013-04-15)
Once we had found out what had happened. (Which took some coaxing) we came to exactly the same conclusion as you Valkricry. He deserved what he got.
valkricry (48 stories) (3257 posts) mod
+1
11 years ago (2013-04-15)
Smoken,
I'm sorry, but that is kindof funny 😆! Can you imagine his reaction if the ghost had done as he asked, instead of blowing in his face? And making that kind of request! I think he sort of deserved a good scare 😉
A wonderful tidbit! Yhanks!
SmokenMirrors (6 stories) (78 posts)
 
11 years ago (2013-04-15)
[at]Harrypotterrules. Nope (s) he didn't say a word so we was just working from assumption and feeling that it was male.

[at]demonicsheikh. We do it for fun, I've never heard of the horse dung technique and I don't fancy walking around with pockets full of the stuff so respectively I think i'll give it a miss.

[at]Valkricry. In my story I mentioned the pipe run. Well we knew where this was because earlier in the night we had chosen to pay it a visit.
It was a long narrow corridor with low hanging pipes.
We had spread out down both walls and called out into the dark for any presence to make themselves known, a member of the group had there arm raised and lowered. Repeat calls got the same result to the same person. As we were calling trying to get something to happen to different individuals a male group member screamed and ran out. (how he got out in the dark without tripping or hitting one of the low pipes is a mystery in itself.) Needless to say this ended the session. We later found out he had said. "Touch my willy." and had felt as though someone had steeped up close to him and blew heavily into his face.
demonicsheikh (55 posts)
-3
11 years ago (2013-04-14)
Do you investigate paranormal activities or was it just for fun?
The easy way to provoke a spirit is to get some cow menuer and throw it on the ground and then ask the spirit to appear. Because most entities are demonic they prefer people who have dirty clothes, place etc.
But be warned that it may be dangerous.
harrypotterrules (59 posts)
 
11 years ago (2013-04-13)
Did (s) he say anything to you? (I say "[s]he because sometimes girls can get haircuts that resemble those of a boy to a certain extent.)
valkricry (48 stories) (3257 posts) mod
 
11 years ago (2013-04-13)
Excellent read! Now Smoken, you simply have to relate the experiance "which saw a member of the group run out at high speed." I'm dieing here of curiousity!

To publish a comment or vote, you need to be logged in (use the login form at the top of the page). If you don't have an account, sign up, it's free!

Search this site: