You are here: Real Ghost Stories :: Haunted Places :: Hidden Room

Real Ghost Stories

Hidden Room

 

In a past story I have briefly mentioned the house my grand-parents used to own. The House is a pre-war terrace in Birmingham. I'm not sure when it was built but the street in the same form as it is now shows on 1910 OS maps, so I would assume the house or variant of it was standing at the same time.

As you entered the house you had to walk through a short corridor that led to a narrow staircase leading to the 1st floor.

When my grandparents first moved in my Granddad discovered that part way up the staircase the left hand wall sounded hollow. Exploring into the bedroom over the stairs he discovered a small walk-in wardrobe with a false back. Pulling this aside he found a small hidden room. The only thing I have been told this room contained was a diary written onto the walls of the room. Unfortunately no one can remember what the diary said.

My Granddad chose to open the hidden room up by taking the fake stairway wall down creating a space that was mainly used for storage.

A few nights later my Nan was sleeping (Granddad worked night shift so wasn't home) She woke up to see a man stood in the doorway of her bedroom, believing him to be her husband she asked him what he was doing home. Getting no reply she began to panic and hid whilst calling out for her mom who was living with them at the time.

When her mom entered to see what was wrong my Nan asked if she had seen the man, but she had see no-one. The layout of the upstairs landing would mean the man would of either had to walk past her mom to get to the stairs or enter the bedroom which held the now blocked entrance to the hidden room.

A few days later my Granddad was sleeping, as I have previously said he worked nights so the house was empty. (I don't know if he had been told about the events previous). He was woken by a heavy weight pressing the bed sheets on his face. Apparently up until this point my Granddad used to sleep with his head under the covers. He struggled against the weight which continued to press down suffocating him. As quickly as everything started it stopped. A case of one minute the weight was there the next it was gone. He quickly pulled the covers off his face and jumped out of bed to find the room and consequently after some searching the house empty.

As far as I know nothing else happened after that.

Other hauntings by SmokenMirrors

Hauntings with similar titles

Find ghost hunters and paranormal investigators from United Kingdom

Comments about this paranormal experience

The following comments are submitted by users of this site and are not official positions by yourghoststories.com. Please read our guidelines and the previous posts before posting. The author, SmokenMirrors, has the following expectation about your feedback: I will read the comments and participate in the discussion.

taurus83 (4 stories) (84 posts)
 
11 years ago (2013-06-24)
smokenmirrors, wow! I would have been absolutly terrified. That had me turning on my light! 😲
SmokenMirrors (6 stories) (78 posts)
+1
11 years ago (2013-05-20)
Val. I have always been intrigued to find out what was on the wall but unfortunately the house has been sold on and my granddad is no longer with us.

Amie. You may be right, we believe that opening the room up created a disturbance.
Amie_16 (2 stories) (104 posts)
 
11 years ago (2013-05-18)
Hmm I think that the 'thing' whatever it was, didn't like your granddad finding out about the room...
And whatever was written on the walls of the hidden room would have a great connection with all the incidents...
Thanks for sharing
Regards
valkricry (48 stories) (3257 posts) mod
 
11 years ago (2013-05-18)
Smoken, too bad there is no way of knowing what had been written on those walls. I bet it was fascinating. Given the length of time the house has been standing, I wonder who was hidden away in that room and why?

To publish a comment or vote, you need to be logged in (use the login form at the top of the page). If you don't have an account, sign up, it's free!

Search this site: