You are here: Real Ghost Stories :: Ghost Hunting :: Drakelow Tunnels

Real Ghost Stories

Drakelow Tunnels

 

My latest Ghost Hunt took part in a place known as Drakelow Tunnels.

The tunnels are located in the Midlands area of the UK and were built initially as a shadow factory for Land Rover during World War 2.

After the war the tunnels were taken over by the government who made changes to convert the tunnels into a nuclear bunker. After the Cold War the tunnels stood untouched until been released back to the public. I had been trying to get to this location for a while and was looking forward to getting stuck in.

With no source of natural light and no electricity, torch light was the order of the day. We found early on that this created an unforeseen problem. A local Airsoft group have access to the tunnels and it turns out the Airsoft pellets they use glow in the dark. You can imagine the excitement when we turned our torches off and noticed a number of glowing "orbs" behind us, only to find out on investigation they were nothing but small rubber balls.

The strangest part of the night occurred part way through the night. We had created a circle with one person in the middle and attempted building up energy within the group. Whilst doing this, the person in the middle mentioned seeing a shadow lurking outside the circle, but more specifically behind one person. He said he was going to reach out and touch the person who the shadow was behind. His hand fell on my shoulder. Great.

He called out, asking the shadow to come closer and to enter the circle. As he did this I started to find it difficult to see the outline of the people standing next to me. The people next to me in the circle started to mention that they had lost site of me altogether but could still see the outline of the person to the other side.

The person in the middle asked how I felt, apart from been shrouded in (I'm not sure how best to explain it) "solid" darkness might be the best way. I felt fine so we continued and asked the shadow to enter the circle again.

The darkness continued to seem solid around me, but the two people either side of me were able to see me again, but to them I had changed. A few mummers rippled around the circle and I was asked by the person in the center how tall I was. I responded with 5'-9". To which I was told "You're not anymore."

The description I was given was that, to the eyes of the people in the circle, I now appeared to be 6 foot tall and a lot broader. (Sweet I had grown taller and got muscles.)

This continued for a few seconds before the shadow backed off and the darkness around me seemed less solid and I could see the outline of the people nearest to me again.

This is the first time I've been the witness to any form of transfiguration. How ironic I still didn't get to actually see it.

Other hauntings by SmokenMirrors

Hauntings with similar titles

Find ghost hunters and paranormal investigators from United Kingdom

Comments about this paranormal experience

The following comments are submitted by users of this site and are not official positions by yourghoststories.com. Please read our guidelines and the previous posts before posting. The author, SmokenMirrors, has the following expectation about your feedback: I will read the comments and participate in the discussion.

Swimsinfire (11 stories) (556 posts)
 
11 years ago (2013-07-09)
Thankyou Smokenmirors. This sounds exciting. I have seen a light surrounding a person before, but that's another story.
SmokenMirrors (6 stories) (78 posts)
 
11 years ago (2013-07-08)
It would of been good to capture this on camera, just to see what everyone else was seeing at the least.

Funny you should ask that Val. Through out the experience I was asked a number of times how I felt, but all the way through it I felt fine and myself.

Hi Aussiechick, I know exactly what you mean. If this had been my first ghost hunt I think I think a cleanup in the ails would of been needed. 😊

Swimsinfire, The energy building was new for me on this hunt, although I have done energy circles before The reason for it is that spirits are said to feed off of energy so by creating an energy circle we make for lack of a better word a buffet for them.
The part which was new to me was we were first asked to imagine roots growing from our feet into the ground anchoring us to rocks, and then to imagine been enveloped in white energy and to imagine passing it through our hands to the person on the left.
Swimsinfire (11 stories) (556 posts)
 
11 years ago (2013-07-05)
I'm impressed you can stay so articulate. Explain the consentrating the energy in the circle thing, if you would for us newbes. How do you do it, and why. Awsom story.
sds (14 stories) (1436 posts)
 
11 years ago (2013-07-05)
Dear SmokenMirrors, I would definitely have very scared if that middle person had told me that the shadow was around me. Really a good experience. Like Val asked, I wanted to know what was your feeling. Whether you felt lonely or possessed or belligerent. I just want to know if there was any change in your way of thinking or moods.

As Val said, you should have caught that on film. Next time, if you go for ghost hunting, please don't forget to take your cam.

Nice experience and thanks for sharing.

Regards and respects to you.

SDS
AussieChick95 (10 stories) (40 posts)
 
11 years ago (2013-07-05)
I really like they way you told your experience, Very serious with bits of humor, Your very brave for remaining calm, if someone had told me that I was being touched by a spirit I would have to change my jeans if you know what I mean 😉
valkricry (48 stories) (3257 posts) mod
 
11 years ago (2013-07-04)
Smoken,
Too bad you couldn't of caught that on film! Now that would have been something! But you didn't feel any different? No, emotions not of your own, or anything?
I won't claim to understand it - but it definitely sounds like you had a very cool experience.

To publish a comment or vote, you need to be logged in (use the login form at the top of the page). If you don't have an account, sign up, it's free!

Search this site: