You are here: Real Ghost Stories :: Haunted Places :: Haunted Tunnels

Real Ghost Stories

Haunted Tunnels

 

If you have ever been to or lived in Colorado Springs you've probably heard the story about the haunted Gold Camp Road tunnels, there are a total of three tunnels up there.

Summed up, the story says that several years back an elementary school bus carrying kids for a field trip was going through the third tunnel when the tunnel collapsed, killing everyone on the bus. There is no information on this actually happening, only that there is still metal from something trapped in the tunnel that is now closed off from the public. It is unknown if this actually happened or if it was just a hoax that got out of hand.

The myth is that if you drive to the second tunnel, turn off your lights and put your car in neutral and wait a minute, you will see a dark figure at one of the entrances to the tunnel and you will start to feel your car get pushed out of the tunnel up the hill, depending on which way you come from and when you get home later you will see tiny hand prints in the dirt of your car.

I have always believed that we were never alone on this earth but always believed that we were among angels and demons and I did not believe that people could come back as ghosts or anything like that. However, I have had one experience at this tunnel and my sister had another, as well as others at my apartment, that has started to changed my mind about ghosts.

The first incidence happened 4 years ago when I had moved out here. I went up Gold Camp with a guy I was seeing and he had taken me to the tunnel and stopped in the middle and shut his lights off. At first, I didn't know what he was doing because I didn't know about this story at the time. After about five to ten minutes it got really cold and I thought I saw an animal run by the entrance, then the car started rolling, we were facing downhill so I just assumed we were rolling from gravity. After we left he told me about the story, there were no hand prints or anything so I just brushed it off and assumed he was messing with me.

Fast forward two years, my sister had moved out here a year after I did and I never thought to tell her about the tunnel story because I didn't believe it was true at the time. I was working night shift at my job one night and I guess my sister, who was staying with me at the time, had gone out to the mountains with her friends.

My sister had an upgraded Chevy Tahoe at the time which was pretty tall with aftermarket tires and such. The next morning when I came home and was walking in, I noticed she had tiny little handprints on her back hatch above the window and it also looked like someone had rubbed their hands along the sides of the Tahoe.

I went inside and asked her about the baby handprints and she started freaking out and ran outside. When she came back she told me about how they went up there and her friend told her the story so they tried it. They were going uphill when her Tahoe started rolling but didn't really think much into it until she seen the handprints.

Thankfully these were very minimal experiences compared to a few other stories I've heard. I'm still weird about going up there after dark because I later found out that these tunnels are actually huge witchcraft grounds. There have been sacrifices, murders, rapes and a lot of dark stuff happen here. Almost everyone who has been up these tunnels have witnessed something strange or felt dark energy in or around these tunnels.

If anyone has been here or experienced something I would love to hear your stories.

Other hauntings by Ranaychristine19

Hauntings with similar titles

Find ghost hunters and paranormal investigators from Colorado

Comments about this paranormal experience

The following comments are submitted by users of this site and are not official positions by yourghoststories.com. Please read our guidelines and the previous posts before posting. The author, Ranaychristine19, has the following expectation about your feedback: I will read the comments and participate in the discussion.

rynne (69 posts)
+2
4 years ago (2019-12-23)
Hello, Ranaychristine19

There is a similar/identical story (with palm prints if children) from San Antonio too. As others have pointed out, the story at least from TX has been debunked (see link below for more). Further, the article mentions the accident with bus load of children had occurred in Utah. The (second) snopes link explains the optical illusion responsible behind this 'legend'. Thought you might find it interesting. Thanks for sharing.

Https://www.mysanantonio.com/lifestyle/article/San-Antonio-s-ghost-tracks-an-urban-legend-12315211.php

Https://www.snopes.com/fact-check/san-antonio-ghost-tracks/
fence_sitter (4 stories) (27 posts)
+3
4 years ago (2019-12-15)
These so called "magnetic hills" that seemingly pulled vehicles that were engaged in neutral gear uphill are also common here in the Philippines; however, these were debunked when some scientific investigators just poured water on the road and noted their flow direction (water became the ideal choice for this experiment since water is non-magnetic). And in all cases, the water flowed towards the seemingly "uphill direction". Their findings proved that these seemingly uphill portions were actually sloping downwards and the uphill appearance were all optical illusions all along (some even went to the extent of doing engineering leveling work on the area just to prove that these places were really going downhill. Just my two cents worth...peace.
silverthane61 (4 stories) (344 posts)
+2
4 years ago (2019-12-15)
I would not be surprised to know that many other states have variants to this legend. A vehicle rolls uphill, or over train tracks or across a bridge, etc. I do note that the difference in your and your sister's experience is that your vehicles apparently rolled in 2 different directions - at least that is what I read. Is the tunnel road sloped in any way?
Bibliothecarius (9 stories) (1091 posts)
+4
4 years ago (2019-12-15)
Greetings, all.

I think that there is a fair amount of 'urban legend' in your narrative, which you readily admit: "It is unknown if this actually happened or if it was just a hoax that got out of hand" and "The myth is..."

Since I first read this story, yesterday, I've had a nagging feeling that there are familiar details in the first few paragraphs, about the school bus trapped in a cave-in, though my brain is telling me the narrative I'm remembering was in Washington State. Does anyone else on YGS remember this? (If not, perhaps it was a documentary I saw.)

The legend of ghost hands pushing a vehicle uphill has been attributed to multiple sites around the U.S. & elsewhere. While the road appears to slope upward, that's only in relation to the background visible to the naked eye, which your brain uses to orient itself. However, the sloped road may only *look* like it slopes uphill, when it actually slopes very slightly downhill; the much more severely-sloped background thus provides a disorienting frame of reference, and the "uphill" motion is a convincing illusion.

I don't doubt your experience, Ranaychristine, as you are so matter-of-fact about what happened, but I do question a supernatural cause for these events.

Best,
Biblio.
LuciaJacinta (8 stories) (291 posts)
+3
4 years ago (2019-12-14)
I liked your story and put it in my favorites because it's a great ghost story. But I have to admit, I think it's just a campfire ghost story. There are at least three locations here in PA that I know of that have the exact same urban legend to them...there's a bridge, tunnel etc... You put your car in neutral, the car moves uphill even sometimes, you see dark figures at the other end and baby handprints on the car. I think it's pretty standard.

I believe this all happens but logically in locations like this there is a lot of natural metals that could potentially draw the car forward in neutral, the handprints could be any number of things from small animals to just dust... Who knows.

Now, in the one location in PA, I admit it is down right creepy but I attribute that to the evil acts like you mentioned like maybe a rape, etc... That most likely occurred there.

I like your story though. I would love to visit there one day.
Lealeigh (5 stories) (512 posts)
+2
4 years ago (2019-12-13)
Hello Ranaychristine,

You are right. There is no data to back up the claim that the tunnel collapsed upon a bus full of kids.

I found some information here:

Https://coloradocommunitymedia.com/stories/ghostly-gold-camp-road,47562

It says that the tunnel did collapse but there is nothing to suggest that anyone was harmed during the event.

I will say this: They started building the tunnels in 1897 and I can assume that the safety of the workers wasn't held up to the standards that we have today; I am sure that there were many accidents that were either undocumented or their accounts have not stood the test of time.

The tunnels probably are a place of restless energy. I do not find that hard to believe!

Thank you for sharing your story.

- Maria ❤

To publish a comment or vote, you need to be logged in (use the login form at the top of the page). If you don't have an account, sign up, it's free!

Search this site: