You are here: Real Ghost Stories :: Haunted Places :: Our Chill Gutter Tunnel And The Gray Lady

Real Ghost Stories

Our Chill Gutter Tunnel And The Gray Lady

 

This is my story. Weather you choose to believe it is up to you.

My name is Ashleigh and I live in South Africa. I guess I should start off by telling you the background of the scenario since some places in the world have a very different outlook on normal day to day lives than others, as well as different names for different objects.

A few years back a bunch of my friends and I used to go down to the sports field which is like literally 5 blocks from my dad's place. We were young, about 16 at the time. Now when you see the sports field it is along side the main road and as soon as you enter the gates, the ground slopes downhill onto the main soccer field and then right at the back it slopes downward again (quite a steep slope) to a smaller field. The smaller field was always open to the public as they always did dog training there.

Anyway, just behind and below the smaller field are some bushes and trees covering an entry to what is a main gutter for the rain water. It is big enough for lots of people to fit into at the same time, and always had a small stream of water seeping from the sloping concrete entrance. What is even more freaky is that the whole small town is surrounded by deserted mine dumps and this gutter was about 500m from the biggest mine dump in the city. The mines there are abandoned.

Anyway, we (at the time it was the 5 of us) decided we needed somewhere to "chill" and have fun. And me being the only girl decided I was not going to be scared and go into the gutter tunnel to check it out. We had taken torches with (or in American they call it flashlights. I know you guys aren't dumb, but some people may not know this) us to see in the tunnel. I was the first one in there and the boys waited for my signal to come on in. I switched the torch on, and had a look at the walls of the tunnel. I was kind of freaked out! On the walls there were symbols of satanic pentagrams which looked like they had been done in blood.

I called the boys and they reckoned it was ok to be our chill area even though there was freaky writing on the wall. The tunnel (according to many local residents) was more than 1.8km long underground, and had no lights in it. So it was dark and deep.

We went there for a good few months with nothing odd happening, but I always had this uneasy feeling because of the markings on the walls. Eventually times changed and two of us were at school, while the other two went to the tunnel (and the last one had to move overseas.)

To make a really long story short, my best friend Solly (he's a year older than me) came with me one day to sit in the tunnel. The two of us went there alone. We sat there for a few hours talking about all the good times we had had in our friendship. It didn't last long because we kept hearing funny noises which sounded like a lady moaning from the back of the tunnel. We knew we were the only ones in the tunnel (or at least we hoped so) so we took a walk into the tunnel and flashed the torches to see if we could see anyone. Sadly we never did, but we did return with the other two friends after exams were over the next day. When we went there, the same thing happened. So we decided to investigate after a few days time with backup resources incase anything happened.

(I had lent a Wicca book to one of my friends which I had gotten from a pagan lady (very freaky lady I might add) of some of the common evil spirits that were supposedly around, stuff like the jackal etc, you know all that 13 ghosts stuff? My friend had called me to come and take it because she had an uneasy feeling and she kept seeing figures outside her bedroom door at night since she got the book from me. So I went to the tunnel with my friends, and burnt the book there in the tunnel).

We eventually went back there and heard the noises again (now this only started happening a few days after I had burnt the book there) and all of us went in as planned to investigate. There were six of us then, as we had invited other people to bring a camera with to record what was going to happen if anything did happen. We went in with Anton recording behind us all the time, and with 1000 candle light torches x 2. So we could see fairly well into the tunnel.

We had walked in the tunnel for 15 minutes, and every meter or so the drawings and symbols became more and more weird and scary! Right in the middle of the floor there was what people believe to be a devils trap supposedly to trap evil spirits and demons and banish them. And then the symbols stopped. We heard the moaning again of the women just in front of us and we shone the torch there. What I saw was a women standing against the left side of the wall. Her skin was grey and she was definitely not well.

She looked almost dull and she was covered in wounds as well as nude. It was as if someone had stabbed her. She was shaking and moaning and all of us could see her. I slowly backed away, and the others followed me. As we turned to walk back to the entrance in a fast pace, we turned back to see her following us then disappearing, and re appearing closer and closer. We started running, but one of the guys named "Angelo" screamed and said she had attacked him.

Eventually we all made it out the entrance panting and trying to get ourselves together. Angelo said that the women had attacked him, and when he lifted his shirt, there was a hand mark of what looked like he had been slapped really hard on the back. Anton had lost the camera in the run away and everything had been filmed!

From that day on, we all vowed never to go there again, not even to set foot on the grounds. So I guess the rumours of the haunting are true according to the local residents (which we only found out after everything had happened).

Angelo however (a few years later) had managed to get his "hand mark on his back" into the local city newspaper. People that stay next to the field say that they hear a women moaning and crying at random times.

And from that day on, we never went there again.

Any comments or suggestions are welcome. Ideas too. My opinion is that this woman was murdered there. And I would not be surprised if it was a bunch of people involved in a cult of some sort.

Hauntings with similar titles

Find ghost hunters and paranormal investigators from South Africa

Comments about this paranormal experience

The following comments are submitted by users of this site and are not official positions by yourghoststories.com. Please read our guidelines and the previous posts before posting. The author, Sinobiah, has the following expectation about your feedback: I will read the comments and participate in the discussion.

AndreaS (2 posts)
+1
9 years ago (2015-01-08)
http://huisgenoot.com/nuus/die-spook-van-schubart-park/
Thats the only story in SA about a ghost and then a few years later when his friends tried to call up the ghost again, but nothing about sports fields and tunnels.
briar24 (6 posts)
 
13 years ago (2011-07-28)
Wow that's some crazy stuff. Did the old lady say anything besides moan. And I completely believe you. 😊
ghosty24 (5 posts)
 
13 years ago (2011-03-25)
i believe it. It sounds real.
Maybe,they did some kind of spell on her,
Or they sacrificed her, and it messed her up.
optimisticbabe (6 posts)
+1
14 years ago (2010-05-21)
I agree with Nasha. But, still a good story none the less.Bravo. 😁 😁 😁
troyarn (5 stories) (479 posts)
+1
15 years ago (2009-02-16)
Although I enjoyed it, I have to go with others and feel this to be a bit false. I am just a poor boy, but why would anyone just leave a camera behind?

And the weird movement of this "ghost" seems to go well with the myriad of movies out now that emulate "The Ring" and its ghost.

Great story, but too cliche. Really, I was hoping for an original. Sorry if I'm wrong.
Nasha (1 stories) (12 posts)
+1
15 years ago (2009-02-15)
I don't think this is true... A very good story but I'm just not convienced. Its a classic touch that your friend lost the camera...
Sinobiah (1 stories) (13 posts)
 
15 years ago (2009-02-14)
Hey guys, I tried contacting the paranormal investigators in South Africa, but I have had no response from them. And people say they have stopped investigating.

So I don't know what else to do. I also did drive by the sportsfield yesterday, and they have fenced the area off completely with 3m high concrete palasade fencing or something. So getting back in there is impossible.

There is another way in around the back, but it would mean to take a trip through the mines which isn't safe, as it is all bush and like semi forest. I don't think I would be able to get there.

Some things are just better left alone I guess.
hazzardsyndrome (10 stories) (121 posts)
+1
15 years ago (2009-02-14)
wow, I'm not sure what to make of this one.
Not in a "i don't believe it" kind of way but more of because its a very intense story.
I honestly don't know what to say, its obviously a very powerful manifestation and maybe even worthy of further investigation?

Have you ever considered perhaps getting some sort of paranormal investigative team to look into it? Seems to me that it could make for some very real results
Thanks for sharing, I enjoyed reading this very much
Take care
WolfReal (1 stories) (140 posts)
 
15 years ago (2009-02-14)
That is amazing. I wonder what the connection is between being able to see the stab wounds very clearly but the ghost having no facial features.
Sinobiah (1 stories) (13 posts)
 
15 years ago (2009-02-13)
I did not get a very good look at her, but I was very freaked at the fact that she had no face. Her facial features were smoothed out.

Like where her mouth would be, she would have it smoothed to like a whole. And here eyes? Well, she had none! They were smoothed out softly to form dents in her face. Her nose was just like a ridge on her face.

She had really bad stab wounds that no person could have survived. She also had a really bad cut right across her rib cage, exposing some internal organs.

Im no medical proffessor, but it was gross. And we were all freaked by it. I had nightmares for months on end about it, and went to a phsycologist, but she though I was mental... So I stopped going when she told me I needed "more help".

And yea... That's pretty much all.
WolfReal (1 stories) (140 posts)
 
15 years ago (2009-02-13)
You did not mention that she had no face. That was an important fact you left out.

So she was moaning which means she had a mouth. Did she have lips or was it just kind of a hole? What about eyes and a nose? Were they gone or was it just kind of smooth where the eyes and nose should be?
Sinobiah (1 stories) (13 posts)
 
15 years ago (2009-02-13)
Wolfreal,

You may think what you want. If she could run after us, she could have gotten out. We had 1000 candle light torches and could see quite clearly. No person in this world stinks of rotten meat, oh and did I mention she had no face? Explain that... Its a 3m walk from the tunnel to the houses next to the sportsfield.

My friend also went to the doctor and they said he is in perfect health although the handmark was burnt into his skin on his back. So no skin diseases were contracted.

And I don't see why local residents would hear a women like we heard for the past decade... And residents confirmed that they know of a bunch of people going there every so often, dressed in black. Must be the cult.

To me its an angry spirit.
WolfReal (1 stories) (140 posts)
 
15 years ago (2009-02-13)
Alright, so it is easier to believe that a ghost would have a rotting smell coming from them rather then a badly injured person. The grey complexion was perhaps because she has been there so long out of the sunlight.
Disappearing and reappearing. All of you were running. One person perhaps more had a torch but the closest person to her (with a torch) was running as well. The torch would be moving as they moved swinging back and forth in hand. At one point the torch would illuminate her and then swing down and not illuminate her thus making it look like she was appearing and disappearing with the ghostly grey skin against the blackness of the tunnel making this illusion even more vivid. The hand mark. If the lady were injured she could have easily contracted a skin disease that became infectious to others that came into contact with her.
From what you have outlined here, I believe you left a very real and injured person in that tunnel. I suspect the people that did that to her eventually came back and finished her off. It is a truly sad story. She could have been helped against all of her hope but instead, at the last second that hope ran away.
Sinobiah (1 stories) (13 posts)
 
15 years ago (2009-02-13)
Oh and as for the marking, I did not mean to give everyone the impression that they were of wiccan faith. They were just there. From what I could see they were of satanic faith.

No offense to anyone who is Satanic.

Please also note that no real names were used in the story as my friends wished to remain anonymous!

God Bless all 😁
Sinobiah (1 stories) (13 posts)
 
15 years ago (2009-02-13)
Wolfreal, everyone saw it, not just me. And in my personal opinion, I don't see why a normal women would be "grey" in complexion and standing naked. And also re apearing and dissapearing. All of us also felt an uneasy feeling and a horrid stench coming from her when we saw her.

As for the slap on my friends back, he still has the slap until today. The mark never went away. And he was behind all of us as he is a but on the large side if you know what I mean? So one of us playing a trick on him would have been impossible as he was the last one out of the tunnel.

We never did any missing persons investigations. We just decided to leave it as it was. And yes there are many missing person reports in our area. And tell me why you think a cop would believe our story? They would probably lock us up in a mental institution.

And a normal human being would not have a rotten stench coming from her, nor would they have paranormal powers to dissapear and re appear, as well as leave a mark on another human being for life:)

Im not wiccan, infact I am Christian. The book I lent from the Pagan women I had left at my friends house for a while. And when she told me about the people walking outside the door, she had asked me to get rid of the book. So I burnt it in the tunnel.
GwynnethSilver (1 posts)
+1
15 years ago (2009-02-13)
Interesting story. However, I have to add that I'm Wiccan and the symbols we use are not evil, such as pentagrams and pentacles. And I don't think that lady was strange "just" because she was pagan. I know some strange Christians. Did you ever do any research on the tunnels? Was there anyone murdered or anything there? Also try to do some research to help understand things. 😁
Boo123 (3 stories) (26 posts)
+1
15 years ago (2009-02-13)
Hi Sinobiah, this story reminds me of one of my own, I am in Namibia and we also had a tunnel like that underneath our school, in the begining of your story I thought you were in the same school. The tunnel under our school also is next to our sport field about 1.5 km long with satanic drawings on the walls and end up on the otherside of another school in the bushes. We also attemted to walk through it but never did, it is scary as hell. Great story, Of what I know about that tunnels... I DO BELIEVE YOU.
WolfReal (1 stories) (140 posts)
+1
15 years ago (2009-02-13)
OH and one more thing. You saw a naked lady in a tunnel who looked hurt? I am wondering did you call the police? Most any person would have called the police so they could help her. Just because you think you saw her appear and disapppear does not mean that your eyes were not playing tricks on you. She may have been a person that needed very real help. Perhaps because it was so dark she could not find her way out of the tunnel and only "chased" you because she could not speak. She was trying to follow you to get out. The hand mark might have been this lady attempting to hold on to your friend because she could not keep up.
WolfReal (1 stories) (140 posts)
 
15 years ago (2009-02-13)
Ah... Yeah. First let me point out the obvious. " (I had lent a Wicca book to one of my friends which I had gotten from a pagan lady" This tells me you study\ read Wicca and therefore either believe or want to believe it in. This is ok, nothing any more strange then someone reading the bible. However I suspect if you put someone in that tunnel who does not believe in that sort of thing, they would have seen nothing. As for the others, either they were just playing along. Your friend who was slapped? If slapped was slapped by another person that was there with you. Certainly not a ghost. Good story though.
Haunted86 (9 posts)
 
15 years ago (2009-02-12)
I think that lots of things happen for a reason but wicca can't be the main source
hobbyholly (11 stories) (572 posts)
 
15 years ago (2009-02-12)
Oh oh
In no way do I believe those who practice Wicca are the same as those who practice satanic type things.

I was just curious about the burning of the book. Frankly, every time I hear about book burnings, I think of Fahrenheit 451
KimSouthO (27 stories) (1960 posts)
 
15 years ago (2009-02-12)
I have heard of many areas like this and it makes perfect sense. If this tunnel was not part of the main field, I am certain it was not traveled at night often by persons wishing to participate in sports. It probably was not as well lit as the other field areas either. What a more perfect sight for the type of worship that was referanced by the drawings you saw. I would not be suprised of what could have happened, either sacrifice or self sacrifice (which is also quite common). You stated that there had been rumors through the town regarding the tunnel. Was there also mention of any missing persons in the area?

For others who comment, those who practice Wicca are not thesame as those who practice the Satanic cult.

Thank you for taking the time to share your story with us!

God Bless!
Sinobiah (1 stories) (13 posts)
 
15 years ago (2009-02-12)
nah I never practiced wicca. The most I ever did was read a book. And as for the newspaper article... Ill see if I can get ahold of it to show you guys.

It still puzzles me until today. Maybe ill convince them to go back and try do it again, although I'm not too sure how safe that would be! As far as I know, nobody ever did go back because they were too scared after that. And besides, the water must have destroyed the data, or it would heva been washed away...

And like I said, weather you chose to believe it or not is up to you:) at least I know its true! No offence taken!:)
ThatRandomGuy (1 stories) (75 posts)
 
15 years ago (2009-02-12)
Very nice story.
Though I doubt the satanic markings were more than your average graffiti (but who's to say they aren't really satanic markings).
KurLz (30 posts)
 
15 years ago (2009-02-12)
Great story thanks for sharing. I think you definately could be right that the woman may have been murdered there by some sort of cult. So no one ever went back to try to get the camera?
hobbyholly (11 stories) (572 posts)
 
15 years ago (2009-02-12)
That was quite a story.

I'm honestly on the fence about this one. Please don't take offense. I think you'd agree this a rather "grand" story.

"satanic' drawings and markings are (at least for me) uneasy to look at, much less a tunnel with little lighting.

Do you practice Wicca? I barely know anything about it, but is a good idea to burn a book?

To publish a comment or vote, you need to be logged in (use the login form at the top of the page). If you don't have an account, sign up, it's free!

Search this site: