You are here: Real Ghost Stories :: Haunted Places :: Dead Wife's Spirit

Real Ghost Stories

Dead Wife's Spirit

 

I went on vacation to New Hampshire with my family last summer in late August. We rented a cottage on Hampton Beach. The cottage was fairly new (newer than my house, which is 15 years old) and was owned by a man who lived alone. He used to be married, but his wife died in the house from heart failure, I think. We stayed there for about a week.

Within the week, I could feel the presence of the owner's dead wife's spirit. I would occasionally hear footsteps. There was an occasional odor of cigar smoke, which she could have smoked cigars in her lifetime. For a few seconds, there was major temperature changes, I could feel as if somebody was breathing on me. At night, in my dark room, I would see her shadow. For no reason at night, I would start throwing up. I always brushed these experiences to the side.

On my last night at the cottage, I was home alone. It was about 2:00 am. I was brushing my teeth in the bathroom, with the door closed. Suddenly, there was a very loud "BANG" on the bathroom door. I suspected a robber, so I opened the door and began searching the house. No one was there.

About an hour later, my family came back. Within the hour after the bang, I was still hearing strange noises, such as footsteps and I think I heard her say "William" which was the owners name, but nothing after I fell asleep.

The owner had never warned us about this haunting. Since the events were fairly common, I would guess that the owner would experience events like these. Her ghost was most likely watching over him after her death.

Hauntings with similar titles

Comments about this paranormal experience

The following comments are submitted by users of this site and are not official positions by yourghoststories.com. Please read our guidelines and the previous posts before posting. The author, Thomas_Moore__, has the following expectation about your feedback: I will read the comments but I won't participate in the discussion.

Thomas_Moore__ (1 stories) (1 posts)
+1
10 years ago (2014-01-15)
Thank you, everyone.

I will now answer questions, sorry that I'm a little late.

I was sure the vomiting was not natural, because it wouldn't happen during the day. It was also more like projectile vomiting.

I am not sure why nobody else had any experiences

Nobody else in my family smokes, and I do agree that cigars are a more masculine way to smoke, so I will just leave it unexplained.

I know for a fact that his wife died in the house, I believe the cause was heart failure.

There are two sections of the house, the guests side, and the owners side, the entity could reside on the guest side because she doesn't like visitors

At the time I was the only person who showed any sign of fear, because everyone in my family is a sceptic but me.

Thank you everyone!
The trip was very traumatizing for me, but everyone of you have very good points that could help me get answers for me experience.
There are things about the trip that confuse me still.
Thanks again!
valkricry (49 stories) (3269 posts) mod
 
11 years ago (2013-07-09)
Dear Thomas,
As several pointed out you seem to have made many assumptions. It would be unusual for a woman to be smoking either a cigar or pipe. Not that it never happens, it just generally a 'man thing'. But, in general a paranormal odor such as a perfume, cigarette smoke, etc. Is something closely related to that entity from daily use.
Did anyone else experience these odors or hear anything? Did your parents have you checked out, because of the nightly vomiting? Were you vomiting or spitting up? There is a difference, and I do know that for some salt air causes the sinuses to drain.
Did you talk to the owner about these experiences for confirmation?
RedWolf (31 stories) (1292 posts)
 
11 years ago (2013-07-09)
Thomas_Moore_
The other posters make very good points. My question is you say the owner never warned you about the haunting. You make the assumption that he even knows about it. Never assume someone knows they have a ghost. A friend of mine never knew she had 2 ghosts until years ago I asked her if anyone ever died in the house. She was living in an apartment in her in-laws house. She said yes her husband had a brother and a sister both die in the house. I told her they were both still there and watching over her son. So in the future make NO assumptions.
Regards
Red
Swimsinfire (11 stories) (556 posts)
 
11 years ago (2013-07-08)
Wait... As in Sir Thomas More, the guy who, at his hanging said "Could you help me up? I shant need any help down." Ther seems to be a lot assumed. Maybe confirm a few of the assumtions. And I agree with the medical theory, only I usualy get nausious when paranormal things are happening, so I believe you.
sds (14 stories) (1436 posts)
 
11 years ago (2013-07-08)
Hello Thomas_Moore_, I want to ask you how did you that it was the spirit of owner's wife. How did you come to know that it was there to look after him? Did anybody else experienced what you had during your stay? You said that the owner did not warn you. But, did you ask him when you were leaving? Please respond.

Regards and respects to you.

SDS
LoveInLimbox3 (1 posts)
 
11 years ago (2013-07-07)
maybe a good idea to pay a visit to the doctors, strange smells and vomiting are a sign of minor strokes, althought your tale sounds captivating! 😁
mamachong (11 stories) (228 posts)
 
11 years ago (2013-07-07)
Lady-glow does have a point... Did your parents take you to see a doctor after throwing up? You said you could smell cigar smoke and that the lady could have smoked. Did you know for sure she smoked or your just guessing?
lady-glow (16 stories) (3157 posts)
+1
11 years ago (2013-07-07)
Did anyone else in your family hear the noises or share any of the experiences you had?
What did your parents do when you trow up? Did they take you to see a doctor?

This would be an unforgettable vacation trip, though one I wouldn't like to do again.

Thanks for sharing and welcome to YGS.

To publish a comment or vote, you need to be logged in (use the login form at the top of the page). If you don't have an account, sign up, it's free!

Search this site: