You are here: Real Ghost Stories :: Pets / Animals :: Elliot's Messenger

Real Ghost Stories

Elliot's Messenger

 

When I was 15 years old, we had a cat named Elliot. We'd had him nearly all my life, he was pushing 12 or 13 at this time. He'd been a constant companion, and while I wasn't particularly close to him, he was definitely family. We used to call him King Elliot because it was clear he ruled our neighborhood and nobody ever had to worry about rats while he was around. He disappeared a few times over the years and we had a few scares but ultimately he always came home safe.

One day Elliot came home, laid down on the couch, and refused to get up again. On closer inspection it was clear he was feeling very ill. We took him to the vet immediately, and I can't remember how it was determined but I remember that the vet told us point blank that the cat had very advanced cancer and that there was no way he would live. It was pretty clear he was suffering so at that time we made the sad decision to euthanize him. I remember that while it was sad for me, my mother was a wreck. She was holding him so tightly that the medication could not get through the IV and the vet had to ask her to set him down on the table.

We went home and buried him in the backyard, it was a sad day. He was a great cat and we loved him, and we talked about him for a while and how tough he was that we never noticed he was sick.

The next morning my mother and me got up and made coffee. It was a beautiful summer day and the sunlight was shining through the window curtains. I got up to open the curtains further so we could get a nice view of the front porch and the sunlight, but when I opened the curtains I screamed in shock and surprise. My mother nearly dropped her coffee cup and said "What's wrong!?!" I said "Mom Elliot's on the front porch!"

Sitting on the front porch was a beautiful grey cat that looked exactly like Elliot, except it was Elliot in his prime, healthy and beautiful. We sort of exchanged looks and then ran outside to see this cat.

When we got out there, the cat waited for us. It didn't disappear and it didn't run away. We pet it and talked to it and it acknowledged us the way cats do. We even fed it. We obviously knew this wasn't Elliot, it couldn't be, but the resemblance was truly uncanny.

The cat returned the following two mornings, but after that it never came back again. We often wondered what became of it, and honestly it just seemed so strange that we couldn't help but think Elliot had sent some relation of his to let us know he was okay.

Regardless of what it may have been, it brought us all some comfort. It is to date the strangest thing that has ever happened to me and as far as I can remember the only truly unusual experience I've ever had. Whatever reason that cat had for being there, I'm glad it chose to stop by. He really gave us hope.

Hauntings with similar titles

Find ghost hunters and paranormal investigators from Maryland

Comments about this paranormal experience

The following comments are submitted by users of this site and are not official positions by yourghoststories.com. Please read our guidelines and the previous posts before posting. The author, LeavesFall, has the following expectation about your feedback: I will read the comments and participate in the discussion.

LeavesFall (1 stories) (8 posts)
 
11 years ago (2013-09-05)
Thanks guys:) It was the strangest thing that has ever happened to me but it definitely was also the most comforting too. I'm glad you enjoyed hearing about it:)
lady-glow (16 stories) (3157 posts)
 
11 years ago (2013-08-31)
This is such a touching story!
I'm glad you found comfort on this cat's visit, who knows for sure if it really was Elliot that came to say good-bye and to tell you that he got over his illness.

Thanks for sharing, I love your story! ❤
JulianLewis95 (1 stories) (3 posts)
 
11 years ago (2013-08-31)
That is so adorable. I'd be lying if I said I didn't have tears in my eyes.

I'm sure Elliot is watching you guys from a very happy place. 😊 ❤

To publish a comment or vote, you need to be logged in (use the login form at the top of the page). If you don't have an account, sign up, it's free!

Search this site: