You are here: Real Ghost Stories :: Apparitions / Voices / Touches :: Dial-up, Msn Messenger, Taps, Clicks & Knocks

Real Ghost Stories

Dial-up, Msn Messenger, Taps, Clicks & Knocks

 

This is a totally new experience for me one that has baffled me for days.

Last Saturday 5th February 2011 I woke up earlier than I normal would have on a weekend. I was awake at 6.30am, an hour and half before my alarm goes off. (I usually get up at 8a.m. Both Saturday and Sunday). Not wanting to stay in bed, I got out of bed, had a coffee, cleaned up a little and unbelievably cooked as well and about 9.30a.m I was at the Gym. I got home about 12 noon and with not that much left to do, I decided to make myself a cup of coffee and finish up any little bits I had not managed to do before I left.

Whilst in the kitchen I heard what sounded like a PC trying to connect to the internet. Remember when internet was Dial-up? Well that is the noise I heard loud and clear. I turned to look at the studio to see if it may have been something in the studio, but off course the PC's, laptops all the equipment was switched. I shrugged it off as me hearing things. Maybe I had over done it at the gym! I turned to finish making my coffee; I then heard what sounded like a message coming through. Not text message but a message coming through on MSN. Again I turned around and looked to the PC only this time telling myself the damn thing is off. I then took my mobile phone out to see if I have received a message, maybe I had changed my message tone accidentally without realising. Chances of me doing that are very slim. No message on my phone, so I looked to my partners phone, nope not his either. I was in the kitchen for maybe half an hour and throughout that half an hour or so, I kept hearing noises that only a PC or Laptop would make, the dial-up connection, the MSN messenger, little bleeps.

That same evening whilst in the living room, I kept hearing funny clicks near the TV and the Hi-fi system. These two electrical items are on opposite sides of the room. Although the morning incidents did spook me a little I was more freaked out by the taps, clicks and the little knocks I was hearing by the TV. The same little taps were heard on the Hi-fi system although they stopped. I came to a conclusion that electrical items will make weird noises when you switch them off, does not matter what item it is. But my problem is that the TV, as it does appear to be happening around that particular part of the room, can be off all day and night and these taps, clicks, knocks are still heard. We have all heard them. Men seem to have an explanation for everything, no offence guys but me I don't know.

I switch everything off between 10-11pm, however recently I have been so spooked by the noises I have started to leave the TV on all night, hallway light included. I am afraid to turn my back to the TV. I know it sounds stupid I mean it is not as if the TV is going to walk over to me and go BOO. I just feel I can't turn my back on it, maybe I should say corner as well as TV. This is happening every night now. I sometimes find myself saying just P*** Off.

I noticed my son had slept with his TV on all night last night. When I asked him he denied having it on all night and said he woke at 5 this morning and could not sleep so he put the TV on. He was sound asleep when I walked in. I wonder if he is hearing what I am.

So since last Saturday I have been hearing funny PC sounds. The noises near and on the TV have increased and are now accompanied by what sounds like someone jumping over a wall and a bell. I actually asked my son when he came out of his room about 11.30p.m last night what he was banging.

So there you go any ideas?

Other hauntings by Surya

Hauntings with similar titles

Find ghost hunters and paranormal investigators from United Kingdom

Comments about this paranormal experience

The following comments are submitted by users of this site and are not official positions by yourghoststories.com. Please read our guidelines and the previous posts before posting. The author, Surya, has the following expectation about your feedback: I will read the comments and participate in the discussion.

winx717 (2 stories) (31 posts)
+1
13 years ago (2011-02-17)
I am no expert, but I do know that most every night, with my t.v. On or off, it always makes tapping/popping noises. I'm not sure what causes them, but I would imagine it has something to do with the heat from the t.v. Causing expansion and contraction. Sometimes it's so loud that it sounds like someone physically hit the t.v.! It's unnerving, but still natural.

I hope you get to the bottom of this soon. Good luck!
Surya (39 stories) (867 posts)
 
13 years ago (2011-02-11)
Thank you everyone for your comments. Apologies for the late reply.

I'll address some of the questions. My flat is ground floor semi-detached. The living adjoins my son's room. We do have central heating near the telly but it is turned off as we know the heat can effect the electrics. The grounds themseleves, used to be a mental hospital many many years ago. I will try to attach a picture of the grounds. Just recently the rangers have cut down some trees which although gives us more light now the area seems empty if you know what I mean.

The computer sounds, my partner is a musician/ producer I know for a fact all equipment is switched of when he is done working. There is definitely no chance of any trojons/viruses.

The only thing I am puzzled by is since submitting this story I only hears the odd taps and clicks now.

Once again thank you for your comments.

Surya
dazram (16 posts)
+1
13 years ago (2011-02-10)
Surya. Have you heard from ghostseer, I hope she is ok. Seems like it all got too much for her. 😢
dazram (16 posts)
+1
13 years ago (2011-02-07)
Surya, Aswell as the other posters suggestions, you should check out what was there before, the house you live in was built. England is a very ancient place, anything could of happened at the exact spot where you live. Head to your local library for more info. [ gee that sounded a bit corny]But you sound fairly concerned about what is happening and I wish you well. Also you should discuss it with your immediate family so you can all try and get through this together. Good luck. 😊
SmokeyKnight (3 stories) (193 posts)
+2
13 years ago (2011-02-07)
If you hold up anything with the ability to transmit near a speaker of smoke sort (ie. Stereo) it's make a weird sound. Almost a buzzing sound, similar to the sounds dial-up used to make.

The whole virus/trojan thing... If the computer is off no one should be able to access your system. I hear noises like the MSN messenger thing all the time. Drives me nuts! I just haven't figured it out yet.

Best of luck, and hopefully it's nothing.
lsandhu (2 stories) (360 posts)
 
13 years ago (2011-02-07)
Could be phantom noises. I used to hear them in my house all the time when I was growing up, and still occasionally do. These are normal everyday sounds that occur when there is no apparent "natural" cause, and are paranormal in that sense. They are sort of like an echo, and seem to be benign if unexplainable. Another explanation could be electrical interference from having your cell phone or other wireless device next to any electrical equipment such as TV, clock, etc. This often happens with my cell phone, but sounds more like static.
Miracles51031 (39 stories) (4999 posts) mod
+3
13 years ago (2011-02-07)
Surya, in addition to the suggestions DC has made, I would check into any heating/air units. Some of them, as I have recently found out, make noises that you may not even be aware of. As DC said, there are too many normal noises to be investigated and "debunked" before going onto the paranormal. I'd also check and make sure there are no unwanted houseguests. Beetles make ticking sounds, just as a reference.
scrapmetalkitten (306 posts)
+1
13 years ago (2011-02-07)
I would make sure to do a good virus scan on your computer. Things like trojans and worms can hijack your computer (or allow someone to remotely use it) and sign in on the internet to try and spread the virus around or look up personal information. These are easily picked up in e-mails, downloaded files, and even just accessing some websites. My tv makes all kinds of weird clicks hours after it has been turned off. Now I'm not saying it isn't paranormal, but I'm just giving a few alternatives. The bell noises I cannot think of any reason why that would happen. Best of luck on solving your mystery.

❤ ❤ ❤
DCinAZ (guest)
+3
13 years ago (2011-02-07)
Surya,
Let's see what it isn't, because we know the Internet doesn't make those noises any longer. What about a fax? Or a wireless printer?
Do you live in a single dwelling, a home that stands alone, separate from any other structure? Perhaps a condo, townhouse or apartment? In any case, how close is the nearest neighbor? Does/Has anyone near your home, or yourself, have/had a pool or pond installed recently? Do you live near the water? I only ask that because sound travels more freely over water.
Those tics you hear coming from the TV will continue for hours after it's switched off. The circuit boards are testy sometimes. It could also be caused by a change in humidity. There are just too many variables to nail that down to one thing. Stereos are the same way. Pops and tics. Annoying as all get out but if the weather is going through ups and downs in your area, who knows?
I think once you can eliminate these suggestions then we may have to move into the unknown, but I'd try these out first just to be sure.

To publish a comment or vote, you need to be logged in (use the login form at the top of the page). If you don't have an account, sign up, it's free!

Search this site: