You are here: Real Ghost Stories :: Family / Friends Visits :: Was This My Grandfather?

Real Ghost Stories

Was This My Grandfather?

 

I am new to posting on this site but I have read quite a few as I have always been interested in the paranormal. I thought I would post one of my own.

I am going to start by explaining I have had a few strange experiences, but only recently have I thought maybe they are all linked. This one I am going to share with you was when I was in labour with my first child who is now 5.

I was in the Labour Ward for a few hours before anything happened. I was quite scared with it being my first child, I didn't know what to expect. I was with my sister and my partner and we was all talking, when I asked them if they would go and let my mother know what was happening. To be honest, I just needed the quiet and to be left alone as I deal with things better that way. A few minutes after being left in the room on my own, I spotted a man by the doorway. He looked strange, only had one arm. He was wearing a flat cap, a checked shirt and scruffy jeans. He looked like he hadn't had a bath in ages.

He began talking to me, telling me he was in a ward in the hospital and he had been here awhile. He told me not to be scared, that I would be ok. I asked him what he was in for and he told me he was there because he needed to be. I turned to get a glass of water, looked back and he was gone.

I was on my own for a few more minutes then my sister and partner was back. I wanted to tell them about this man but before I had chance the machines started beeping. It was all crazy and blurred at this point, doctors rushing in and the baby seem to be struggling. Quite a while later, what seemed hours, my daughter was born at 12:40 am.

The next day my mum came to visit me and I mentioned this incident with the man while I was in labour. I told her about him only having one arm and him been scruffy and that he was staying in a ward here. As I explained, she stopped me and said he couldn't have been as this was a maternity hospital only now. She asked me to describe him and I did and we left it at that.

I didn't think no more about it until the day after. She came back again to visit and she brought a picture with her which she showed me and I said, "How's that possible? That was the man from the night I was in Labour." My mum then told me he was my grandfather and he had been dead for 30 years. She told me he had been shot while in the Army and lost his arm. He went onto alcohol when he was made unfit to work and his family disowned him, which I find sad. My mum also told me he had died in the hospital were I had my daughter.

I'm sorry for the length of my story. I just wanted to share. Sorry if it didn't make much sense, but could this have really been my grandfather I've never met before and, if so, why did he choose to show himself to me and not my sister?

Hauntings with similar titles

Find ghost hunters and paranormal investigators from United Kingdom

Comments about this paranormal experience

The following comments are submitted by users of this site and are not official positions by yourghoststories.com. Please read our guidelines and the previous posts before posting. The author, Tamzinite, has the following expectation about your feedback: I will read the comments and participate in the discussion.

spiritwaiting (42 stories) (843 posts)
 
11 years ago (2013-09-22)
Tamzinite, To me this sounds like your grandfather wanted you to tell your mom that he was there with you. Because he couldn't be there for her. He was making his presence known also to keep you calm, because having your first child is quite the scary experience. What an awesome grandpa! Love your experience. 😊
Tamzinite (1 stories) (10 posts)
 
11 years ago (2013-09-22)
Thank you for your comments I do have other stories that I think are linked to this since I've had my daughter a lot of strange things have been happening I'll post them at a later date with a photo maybe you all can shed some light on thank you again c
Miracles51031 (39 stories) (4999 posts) mod
 
11 years ago (2013-09-21)
Tamzinite - sometimes loved ones visit to welcome a new member in the family. Maybe it was simply since you were the one bringing that new member into the family, your grandfather showed himself to you. Or as Val suggested, perhaps you able to pick up on him and you sister wasn't. There could be many reasons why it happened that way, but I'd take comfort in the fact that he was there to welcome your daughter into the world.

Thank you for sharing this with us 😊
valkricry (49 stories) (3269 posts) mod
 
11 years ago (2013-09-21)
Tamzitnite, no one can say with absolute certainty why a spirit would show themselves to one person and not the other. It could be that he did but she was unable to pick up on him. Or maybe the monitors and such gave him enough energy to manifest to you and you just happened to be alone. Another thought is maybe because you were a patient, as he was, he sought to give comfort - something your sister wasn't in need of at the time. Another thought that occurs to me, is perhaps he was there to aid your daughter?
Anyway, I liked your account. 😊
Tamzinite (1 stories) (10 posts)
 
11 years ago (2013-09-21)
There was a little complication as she was struggling I also lost consciousness too for a few minuets
mamachong (11 stories) (228 posts)
 
11 years ago (2013-09-20)
It sounds like you might have had a little bit of complications, or am I wrong? But sounds like a pleaseant calming experience.
Tamzinite (1 stories) (10 posts)
+1
11 years ago (2013-09-20)
Thank you for the comments I wasn't under any influence as I wanted a natural birth and it's what I got all I felt really was comfort. I never got the chance to meet him as he passed before I was born. Seems funny you should say about guardian Angel I have a picture of my daughter of whom I was in Labour with at the time and in the picture it shows a pink like glow with her facing into it smiling I will post the picture when I can get it on to my phone.
kyotesknwlkr (1 stories) (1 posts)
 
11 years ago (2013-09-19)
I think he was there to tell you everything would be ok, it was bumpy but now its ok. He must watch out for you.
notjustme (19 stories) (852 posts)
 
11 years ago (2013-09-19)
Tamzitnite - loved it! I love stories of family visitations. I envy you got to see your grandfather. I never met any of my grandparents except for my mom's mother. But I know my mom's dad would have been very nice to me, I don't know why I know this. Your grandfather was there to witness and probably offer a helping hand in the birth of your daughter. Hopefully I will see mine too when I have a baby! 😁 notjustme
Femaelstrom (1 stories) (56 posts)
+1
11 years ago (2013-09-18)
First, I'm of the opinion that there's no reason it WASN'T your grandfather. Being as you're his grandchild, he had a vested interest in making you feel at ease, as you, yourself stated you were nervous. (Rightfully so)

Second, being as he died in that same facility, another reason for his spirit to be present.

You should feel blessed that he acknowledged the birth of your child in such a wonderful way, and at such a wondrous time. And why not you instead of your sister? You didn't state if you were medicated, or under the influence of anything but the rigors of childbirth. (As a mom of 6, I know how stressful that is...!)

Seems as though your own Mother acknowledged the experience with her information. Perhaps he is your guardian angel...? Either way, it was an experience you should share with your child when it's old-enough to comprehend. And congratulations!

To publish a comment or vote, you need to be logged in (use the login form at the top of the page). If you don't have an account, sign up, it's free!

Search this site: