You are here: Real Ghost Stories :: Ouija Board / Seances :: Bad Tarot Card Experience

Real Ghost Stories

Bad Tarot Card Experience

 

As far back as I can remember (around three and four) I've had experiences with the supernatural. My dad isn't a strong believer but my mother and her father are very religious and are constantly warning my siblings and me about the spirit side. Even though my father isn't really a believer, my siblings and I grew up as strong Anglicans.

Seeing as this is my first story I will give you a quick look into my background before I begin with my account. When I was around 6 I started to see people out of my peripheral vision. It started out with every time I walked past an open room and has since died down (for lack of a better word), since we moved. However, whenever this happens and I look back to see if there is anything there; I see nothing.

I also see what I've come to think are "shadow people" all the time. One in particular who stands at my bedroom door and watches me every night since I was a toddler. All of the stuff I have experienced comes with VERY strong feelings (which I never doubt and have never lead me astray) and vivid dreams that started after my aunt died. I've had much more experiences with my dreams than anything.

Back to my experience now... It was about four summers ago when I was still living with my parents and siblings. My sister, cousin and I went shopping at a thrift store and I came across tarot cards. I had always stayed away from them because my mother was very against it and the things creep me out. I wasn't too sure about it but I decided to just try it out.

So when we got home my sister, cousin and I all went down to my basement - typical eh? - to try out these cards. The instructions weren't in the box so we had to Google them but it was pretty harmless at first. It went my sister, cousin and then me and seeing as my sister was the best at interpreting them, she read ours. We did a couple rounds like this until we decided to do a different layout.

Everything went fine with my sister's and cousin's reads. However, when it reached me things got weird. As soon as I split the deck I got a really dark feeling from the right pile. Feeling sort of compelled, I chose that one (in spite of my instincts to tuck tail and run). The cards were normal until my sister flipped over the "death" card. As soon as the card was turned over the room got really cold and there was a very evil, angry feeling and the room was filled with a putrid stench. I probably should mention two things: 1. I do know that the "death" card doesn't typically mean death and usually represents change, and 2. We had gotten the "death" card before.

We all knew something was there with us and I felt like there was a heavy weight in my chest. Also, usually I have a feeling of "light" surrounding me at all times and it was like something had severed it and I started to bawl at the empty feeling. We looked around the room and I asked everyone where they felt this darkness was the most and my sister and I said, "Behind our cousin," while our cousin said, "Behind me."

Thoroughly freaked out of our minds we said a prayer to God and put the cards away. Still crying, my sister said she'd get rid of the cards and I ran up stairs to look up verses from The Bible to see what it says on demons. I did some research since then and many different websites say that tarot cards can act like a portal much like Ouija boards.

The reason I've brought this up is because ever since we used those cards, my parents' basement feels dark, depressing and evil and every now and again it smells like death. Whenever I go to visit my parents I refuse to go into the basement as it always feels like something's watching me. I know that I should have listened to my grandfather and mother's warnings but it seemed pretty harmless at the time. I have never, nor will ever, touch those cards again. I don't know what was and very likely still is, in that basement.

I'm open to all advice and I've been told I'm an empath so that might have a factor in it? This isn't my worst experience but I'd like to know what could be bunking in my parents' house and if there is any way for me to help? Thank you for your time and if you'd like to hear more of my encounters I will gladly write more.

Stargazer_44 xoxo

Hauntings with similar titles

Find ghost hunters and paranormal investigators from Canada

Comments about this paranormal experience

The following comments are submitted by users of this site and are not official positions by yourghoststories.com. Please read our guidelines and the previous posts before posting. The author, stargazer_44, has the following expectation about your feedback: I will participate in the discussion and I need help with what I have experienced.

Nightling (1 posts)
 
7 years ago (2017-03-13)
Not sure if you're aware of this video or not, but I noticed that the second story in this video, is this story.

Https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wo-astHuCto
Darkangel73 (4 stories) (127 posts)
 
10 years ago (2014-04-24)
Take those cards back to the thrift store, recommend a cleansing of the basement etc. One can never know what is attached to objects period.
modz27 (4 posts)
+2
10 years ago (2014-01-12)
Ghosts do not hide on cards. If you are an empath, either you have summon the ghosts or the ghosts have been with you and you just had called their attention through being open on using the cards. The ghost might have been hiding on your basement way before you bought the cards. Since they did not harm you, they may just looking for someone who can sense them and help them to be prayed over or help them to finish their tasks on earth. If you want to help them you may ask an expert's help.
glesgaboy (24 posts)
-2
10 years ago (2014-01-09)
deadmanriding, well said!
Many people don't want to listen at the mention of the Bible or Jesus.
I have been blessed with an open mind.
When I started working in a hospital many years ago I was told to stay away from 2 painters who were "Bible thumper's".
I didn't and they became good friends to me until this day.
I am no saint and like you I have walked a fine line in life but if it were not for those 2 painters and our many conversations my lack of hope may have killed me.

Stargazer_44, an interesting tale but be careful, messing with the unknown is a foolish thing to tempt.
Take advice regarding the cleansing of your parents basement.
BTW, you did not mention if your parents were being affected by it?
GB
Tresna (8 posts)
+1
10 years ago (2014-01-06)
Gosh, a lot of people have already weighed in on this one! Just thought I should give you the thoughts that came to mind when I first read it. There was probably a spirit in the house already, and when you began using tarot they saw an opportunity to get your attention. Sounds like an unhappy spirit, but just from this experience, there's no real reason to assume that they have something against you. Don't let yourself be too worried about this experience. Fear isn't a thing that helps you very much- in spiritual matters or in life. Plus that spirit probably wasn't trying to scare you anyway:)
ladydarke (113 posts)
+3
10 years ago (2014-01-04)
Stargazer, are you aware of the old Latin definition of "genius" as being the spirt of a place or thing, often presented as being a guardian spirit of that loci? The genius of ones house, for instance, would have a little shrine and be fed to keep it strong in order to keep the house well-protected and such. Even today, people will speak of houses having personalities and this is likely what is being sensed, though the name for it is not known.

It is my experience and understanding that tarot cards are not a portal unless "ur doin it wrong" by actively trying to talk to the dead and such. They don't summon anything, but over time can have their own genius fostered and grown by the user, if the cards are fed with energy and the intent to do so is there. This is no more "evil" than a house is evil, but it can have been exposed to bad things, like a house that has had bad things happen it in, in order to feel dark.

Even in a deck without a genius, tarot cards can also absorb energy through usage, as any object can: for instance, suppose these previously-owned thrift store cards of yours had been used by someone in crisis who kept asking the same question over and over, such as "Is he cheating?" or "Will I lose my house?" and pushing all this dark energy and emotion into the deck. The residue of this negative energy could be still carried on the cards, as it could be on any thift store item. An empath needs to be a bit careful about second-hand things because you, more than others, can pick up a lot of extra baggage that way!

It is also possible to do spellwork through cards, by laying out a pattern to describe events as they are desired to fall. This is mainly a tool for focus or to use for visualization of intent. The problem with intent is you can do that wrong, too: if you focus only the negative you bring that instead of the desired positive outcome. An example would be when trying to diet, every time one looks in the mirror, one goes, "I'm so fat, I'm so fat." Guess what you bring on yourself? Whereas, if you look into the mirror and use a positive affirmation such as, "I'm going to lose weight, I'm losing weight," that is what you manifest. This is a tenet of psychology as well as spellcraft. So, it is possible the cards were used this way with an unfortunate focus on negative affirmations rather than positive outcomes, enhancing the negative energy pumped into the deck.

I do find, though, that tarot cards do not tell the future. What they are really best at is channeling the higher consciousness of the user to lay out subconscious knowledge and desires. This will often lay out a map toward a probable future, but the real strength in tarot is of shining a light on the crossroad where you stand *now*, at this moment, and making legible to you the road signs on the paths that brought you to this place as well as the roads leading onward. It might be best described as actively accessing the same subconscious mind that speaks to you through dreams.

I do not think the cards themselves have summoned anything into your parent's basement unless, as I said, you were actively attempting to use them as a substitute ouija board. It is a possibility that you accessed any negativity that came attached to them, again, as it might have to any thift store purchase. It's also possible that some pushy opportunistic entity happened to walk in and took that opportunity and those tools to try to scare you.

There are many cleansings available on the internet, I'm sure, which you can certainly do if you feel it necessary, but I would think the simplest way is to not be afraid and reclaim the basement. Make it bright and cozy, and spend time there doing positive things that make everyone laugh and be happy.

Hope I could help. Cheers.
deadmanriding (1 posts)
-2
10 years ago (2014-01-04)
Hi Stargazer_44 You're already back on the right path; never go back to tarot or any other form of divination. I speak as an old man who's experienced things no one should, ever since my early childhood at age 2. Your's was a mistake that you recognized immediately & you did the right thing turning to God for forgiveness & help & destroying the cards. I'm assuming that you've been born again through acceptance of the Holy Spirit in the name of Jesus. This is not a religious ritual, it is a very real spiritual event, whereby His Spirit dwells within you & there's nothing in all of creation that can take that love, protection & power away from you. I walked a very dark path in my own strength until I was pulled back from certain death by the Lord revealing himself to me & I had to learn the hard way, over many years, that I can do nothing in my own strength. I mean that literally. Any attempt to remove this presence other than turning it over to God to deal with will result in further problems. You've been blessed with a curious but repentant/obedient spirit & will learn the power of prayer is all you need. Messing with tarot opened a door that you have closed. There's no reason to still fear what you experienced & no reason not to go back to the basement if you stand in the power of God's Holy Spirit. Fallen angels tremble & run at the mention of the name of Jesus Christ. The only way they can ever harrass you is if you give them grounds/authority to by walking in sin. Keep looking inside yourself & turn away from the things that are sinful & focus on the Lord instead. That was the hardest lesson I had to learn & at your age, you're way ahead of where I was on the learning curve when I was young. God bless you son & protect you, in the name above all names, Jesus Christ.
SupWolfPup96 (2 posts)
 
10 years ago (2014-01-02)
From what you have said in your experience and from personal accounts I would say you do sound like an empath. As for your parents home. You could do a few things, you could try a smugging, or even cleaning the basement can help release the negative energy trapped there.
spiritwaiting (42 stories) (843 posts)
 
10 years ago (2014-01-02)
[at] Stargazer,I well as miracles am an empath. Miracles I completely agree when you state" There are times it sucks". Because there are times when its unwelcome, but you just have to go with it. Back to stargazer, The tarot cards may have helped. You somehow to highten your energy field around you, thus making you more aware of a spirit. Because of you already being a little scared of the Tarot deck. And yes, they can sometimes open up portals, much like a quija, and automatic writing, because you are attemptingto talk with other side. Have you ever tried looking up the history of the home? Do your parents own the home? And if so, is it an older home, meaning Was it built and then owned by previous owners?
Miracles51031 (39 stories) (4999 posts) mod
 
10 years ago (2014-01-02)
Well darn, I didn't mean to run stargazer off with my comments 😕 😢
Miracles51031 (39 stories) (4999 posts) mod
+3
10 years ago (2014-01-01)
stargazer_44 - keep in mind this is just my opinion, okay? And I mean no disrespect by anything I say because I have too many family members who feel the same way 😊 I just wonder if maybe the power of suggestion was at work here? You knew how your mom felt about tarot cards, as well as your grandfather's feelings about the "spiritual side", not to mention being creeped out by the cards, yet you bought them anyway. So the inclination was already there for you to have bad feelings toward them.

You mentioned you are an empath. Being an empath myself, I know what that's like. And there are times it freaking sucks. I think it's possible you picked up on the emotions of a ghost. I also don't think the tarot cards had anything to do with this. But that is only my opinion. More than likely you'll get other opinions, which is what this site is all about.

You asked if there is anything you can do about your parents' basement. Simply answered. Yes. You can do a cleansing. The thing about cleansing, though, if you don't believe, it's not going to work 😢 Another thing, don't believe everything you read on the internet.

To publish a comment or vote, you need to be logged in (use the login form at the top of the page). If you don't have an account, sign up, it's free!

Search this site: