After experiencing strange occurrences on and off for over 10 years, I have decided to tell others' about it. My Uncle died when I was 5 years old (I'm 15 now) of a brain aneurism. I was there when it happened as well. He died in my house before the medics could arrive. I was heartbroken and shocked.
A couple weeks before he passed away, he began giving me some of his possessions; especially the ones he loved the most. The closer it got to his passing, the more stuff he would pass on to me. The day he passed was the day he brought the most stuff over; his "Star Wars" memorabilia, special coins, and other belongings. I couldn't believe he was giving me some of the things he cherished the most.
There was something more to it than just a coincidence. A good week or so after this was all over, I strictly remember strange, but at the same time comforting, occurrences. I would (and still do) see what I believe are shadows that quickly disappear, like air passing by. I will also hear eerie creaking sounds, like there is someone there.
I would have a couple friends of mine come over a few years ago, that were not sure if they wanted to come back to our house again. About 75% of my family that I tell this to believes what I am saying is true, but the other 25% have yet to step into my shoes and relate to what I'm saying. They don't believe in ghosts. The proof is out there, in fact, it's everywhere!
My mom has also told me about strange things that she used to see around the house: lights burning out constantly, strange voices she things she heard, and a few other things. We feel this as more of a comforting feeling than a frightening one.
I hope you don't have to go what my Uncle had to go through, and that your house stays clear of spirits.