You are here: Real Ghost Stories :: Haunted Places :: Mysterious Occurrence At A Local Church

Real Ghost Stories

Mysterious Occurrence At A Local Church

 

From June of 2000 to July of 2011, my family and I resided within a quiet suburban neighborhood in the small town of Baltimore, Ontario. As a child, I attended an elementary school in Baltimore and beside the school was an old church and a cemetery. The church, reportedly constructed in 1809, had always intrigued me, as it appeared to be haunted.

Even at first glance, I had always viewed this particular church with a peculiar sense of awe. I had always perceived the ambiance of the grounds as being quite unnerving and I ultimately made a routine of visiting the cemetery very regularly.

Throughout my final year of high school, I habitually jogged from our house to the cemetery at night. Being highly superstitious, I would roam the cemetery alone in order to hopefully catch a glimpse of a potential spectral resident doomed to forever linger throughout the cemetery grounds.

It was a quiet Friday night during the Spring of 2007. I had finished another assignment for a writing class I was enrolled in and found myself with nothing else to occupy my time. In order to relieve my boredom, I decided to once again jog to the cemetery.

I stopped running by the time I reached the church. It was close to ten that night and I anticipated another uneventful visit. I ventured through the grounds, careful to avoid stepping on any of the gravestones. There were perhaps hundreds of them throughout the area and dodging them proved no easy task. I took my usual route along a pathway behind the church where it was most brightly lit. I stopped abruptly after reaching an adjacent stretch of forest area, as I thought I heard the sound of rustling through the leaves.

Not wanting to immediately jump to conclusions, I tried to remain skeptical by assuring myself it was just a local resident casually strolling through the forest. As the sounds approached even closer, I soon realized that nobody was present. There was sufficient light from both the moon and the church for me to notice. The sounds continued until they appeared to be just inches from my feet. Evidently, I got far more than I had bargained for.

Feeling immensely perplexed and mildly intimidated, I promptly turned around and walked away. I went home and spent the remainder of the night dwelling on the event. Despite my reaction to the encounter, I continued to visit the cemetery on a consistent basis. I never experienced any further strange occurrences. Even to this day, the event remains a mystery.

Other hauntings by GingerRead

Hauntings with similar titles

Find ghost hunters and paranormal investigators from Canada

Comments about this paranormal experience

The following comments are submitted by users of this site and are not official positions by yourghoststories.com. Please read our guidelines and the previous posts before posting. The author, GingerRead, has the following expectation about your feedback: I will read the comments and participate in the discussion.

LuckySOB (1 stories) (5 posts)
+2
2 years ago (2022-02-07)
Hi GingerRead! Thanks for your story! There is a very old cemetery deep in the woods about a mile from my house. I saw it during the day and there's a huge statue of a man named Lorenzo de Zavalla on a horse. Google his name and you'll see he was a part of Texas gaining independence from Mexico.Anyway,I was creeped out during the day but hope I can muster the courage to go one night and bring a camera and EVP recorder.
Anno_Domini (3 stories) (167 posts)
+2
2 years ago (2022-01-26)
Hi GingerRead,

Your account reminds me of an incident which happened one night / early morning when I was a teen and snuck out of the house to join friends from the neighbourhood for a chat and supper at the nearby park. We were sitting around, chatting, drinking, cooking instant noodles over a solid fuel folding stove fire when out of the blue a large bush (more of a manicured hedge) not 5 meters from us shook VERY violently for perhaps about 5 seconds.

The best way I can describe it is, it was as though there were 2 cats fighting inside the bush, except there was absolutely no noise at all apart from the rustling of twigs and leaves.

The bush was standing on its own, there were no trees or other bushes next to it. We stared at the bush for a couple of minutes, expecting animals of some sort to exit or at least appear but the bush stood as silent as a tombstone. For the rest of the night we kept a wary eye on it but nothing else happened.

AD
Miracles51031 (39 stories) (4999 posts) mod
+2
2 years ago (2022-01-10)
GingerRead - I was just wondering if there was anything else to indicate you were approached by a ghost. Some people feel cold spots, which I'm sure you know, but I feel static and/or coldness.
Miracles51031 (39 stories) (4999 posts) mod
+2
2 years ago (2022-01-10)
GingerRead - did you feel anything when the noise stopped at your feet?
Rajine (14 stories) (740 posts)
+2
2 years ago (2022-01-01)
Hi GingerRead

Usually graveyards will have a lot of ghostly activity but I must say that you are quite brave to venture out alone and at night.

To publish a comment or vote, you need to be logged in (use the login form at the top of the page). If you don't have an account, sign up, it's free!

Search this site: