You are here: Real Ghost Stories :: Old Hags / Night Attacks / Sleep Paralysis :: Sleep Paralysis, Supine Position, Cloaked Figure

Real Ghost Stories

Sleep Paralysis, Supine Position, Cloaked Figure

 

I was visiting my boyfriend in Kennewick, WA and this wasn't an uncommon thing. I visit all the time.

This one night we went to sleep and suddenly I had this awful feeling that something very bad was going to happen. I was laying on my back (supine position) with the end of the bed facing the door. While in this panic I kept trying to say "babe" to get my boyfriend's attention but no words would come out. At this point I was thinking it was just a dream, but based on how alert I was it definitely wasn't a dream. It was like my body was asleep and paralyzed but my mind was completely aware of what was going on.

Then a cloaked figure walked towards me and I could hear the footprints. The figure began to push on my chest very hard. I kept calling for my boyfriend but no words could come out. I then began to mentally pray and as I did this the figure released pressure on my chest and drifted backwards into the walk-in closet. Suddenly I felt my body loosen from being so stiff and I finally told my boyfriend what happened. Of course he thought it was just a nightmare, but because of how vivid it was I was very shook up.

I decided to call my sister just to see if she was awake. She's a bartender so sometimes she's out at strange times. I left her a voicemail and tried to go back to sleep. After an awful few hours of sleep I got up and had a missed call from my dad, who is a pastor/evangelist. In his message he told me that be had a very unsettling dream about me, that I was paralyzed. He called to make sure I was okay.

After more research I learned that most of these experiences happen in the supine position (on your back). Also, the way your bed is setup should NEVER have the foot of the bed facing the doorway, apparently in native culture it invites spirits to come to you. Lastly that there's demons hours and witching hours. Witches at 12 am and devils at 3 am. I checked the time I called my sister and it was 3:13 am.

Since my boyfriend's house, I have had one experience in my bedroom, and another in my new bedroom. I've also recently had another in my newest apt. I was wondering if anyone thinks that ghosts and spirits can cling to people? I feel like they're following me.

Hauntings with similar titles

Find ghost hunters and paranormal investigators from Washington

Comments about this paranormal experience

The following comments are submitted by users of this site and are not official positions by yourghoststories.com. Please read our guidelines and the previous posts before posting. The author, Ijustwannameowatyou, has the following expectation about your feedback: I will read the comments and participate in the discussion.

mystery1 (5 posts)
 
10 years ago (2014-06-26)
DO NOT SLEEP WITH A BED WITH ITS BACK TO A WALK IN WARDROBE it brings evil spirits... 😠
Triskaideka (2 stories) (388 posts)
+1
10 years ago (2014-02-18)
Dangit, I was trying to write prayer DOES help some people, along with identifying the situation when it happens and taking control over it. Why can't I type?
Triskaideka (2 stories) (388 posts)
+1
10 years ago (2014-02-18)
Studies also show that people who believe these cases are paranormal tend to continue to suffer from these such problems. People who give them a scientific explanation tend to be able to control the mental state over time and resolve the issue.

I still suffer from sleep paralysis on occasion but it's never scary. I see weird things, but I know what's going on. It's really easy to stir yourself out of that state once you can identify it.

That's not to say it's 100% likely to be cured by giving a scientific explanation. It's just more likely. Prayer doesn't help soothe some people and also allows them to seize control over their subconscious (or, I suppose whatever evil is plaguing them, though I don't personally believe that's the root of the problem).

Fact of the matter is, whether the cause is supernatural or physiological, the sufferer of the condition must learn to recognize the state when it happens, and seize control of the situation when it happens. Prayer alone will not be enough.

AFRIEND, I would recommend see about getting a sleep study, because it sounds to me like you suffer from frequent sleep paralysis, which could be connected to some sort of sleep disorder. A sleep disorder, on its own, can drive a person a bit mad and make them even more prone to nightmares.

PS - Ijustwannameowatyou, I just want to say... I love your username. 😁
AFRIEND (4 posts)
 
10 years ago (2014-02-18)
[at] lady-glow. Then please permit to cease from "preaching" as you stated and simply make a statement. My apologies.

Last night I dealt with an encounter. A whisper "snake like" and initially I thought it was my girlfriend next to me (I am not perfect, nor did I call myself a minister I hope). After listening more closely, I realized it was no person.

I immediately started praying, and suddenly, I became incapable of moving.

It felt like my heart stopped, and breathing became more tedious.

I finally was released and I came to.

So, this is not preaching. This is an experience. I hope this helps.:)
lady-glow (16 stories) (3157 posts)
+3
10 years ago (2014-02-17)
AFRIEND: from the comments guidelines: "...please avoid proselytizing or preaching, unless the author of a story specifically asks to receive feedback from that religious perspective..."
I grew up in a catholic family, but time and life have changed my idea of hell; now I think hell is having to spend eternity watching "Jerry Springer" and all the seasons of "Here Comes Honey Boo Boo". 😭 😭 😆
AFRIEND (4 posts)
-2
10 years ago (2014-02-17)
Ijustwannameowatyou, this is what really happened (its not sleep paralysis). You made it rather clear that you don't believe it was a dream, so you were physically in the same setting where you sleep.

The only thing is, you were not in the physical. This is what is known as a spiritual experience if I'm not mistaken. I'm not sure if everyone has them. I think some people have them and are afraid to sound crazy and others are convinced that it will be successfully explained as Sleep Paralysis (note the comments).

I've dealt with this for a while, and I've overcome it. I had to grow spiritually to handle it. If you really want beat it, read the Bible and pray more.

The Bible teaches you how to be more likened unto God and praying puts you more in contact with him.

This will put you in a state where if it returns, you'll be to handle without problem.

From what I can tell, if you pray before hand, handling it becomes a rather easy experience.

The first time this happened to me, I thought it was a dream. Like I said, I'd just been delivered from the spirit, but this is what shocked me.

After trying to get up and not being able to do so in my dream, I realized it was a spiritual attack. I thought, no big deal, I'll just wake up and it'll be over.

KiraLS, it hit me in the back of the head. It felt like a sledgehammer striking me.

After I finally woke up, I STILL COULDN'T MOVE.

I thought maybe if I shook myself, Elise, who was lying next to me, would have been able to wake me up so I could snap out of this trance.

With every bit of strength I had, I turned my neck so I could get my head to the left, because the spirit was holding me down and covering my mouth.

To this day, I still can't believe it, but there was a spirit on her back to. It was covering her mouth, and her eyes were wide and with red cracks from through them from strain as it was pulling it hair. It laid on her back. She was looking straight ahead.

It stills gives me chills.

All I could was reach out and grab her hand for mutual consolation, because we were finished, and all we had was each other.

I think this is what hell is going to be like

I don't it's just fire and brimstone.

Torture. That's when I realized Hell is torture.

I finally came out of it after that. What happened was I had just been placed in the spiritual realm. Your spirit is always there, subject to attack and strengthening even though your physical body may not sense it.

Pray, fast. If this happens to you again after you pray, see the difference.

Try, and see for yourself.

God Bless you.
ghstwrld (1 stories) (22 posts)
 
10 years ago (2014-02-05)
Sounds like sleep paralysis to me, whenever it's happened to me I've had the strangest hallucinations. I used to think my cat was walking on me, only to realise I'd not had a cat for around five years. I wouldn't worry too much. 😊
Nathaniel (37 posts)
 
10 years ago (2014-01-29)
It sounds like Sleep Paralysis to me. I have had hallucinations of feeding my pets. My son has had hallucinations of nurses in old fashioned white uniforms. Mostly I have no hallucinations, just all of the other symptoms. I usually just go back to sleep, as its easier than fighting myself awake. Its a little freaky, but its just SP.
josephgogi (2 stories) (34 posts)
 
10 years ago (2014-01-29)
This is definitely sleep paralysis coupled with a bad dream. You can see the room with peripheral vision but cannot speak or move. This has happened to me several times, but the foot of the bed I was on never faced the doorway or the wall where the doorway is located. It is a scary experience. The way I get out of it is to calm myself and say a prayer, usually the "Our Father". This always works for me now that I know what to do. There seems to be someone in the room or a dark figure that you can sense, especially when it seems they are sitting on the bed. I wrote about my experience with this on this forum.
Nectarvore (1 stories) (226 posts)
 
10 years ago (2014-01-26)
...I appreciate Bad Jujus discernment upon this. However, your father getting an unshakeable feeling to check in with you, right at that time? Seriously. Get the salt and frankinscence mate... What are the odds... Just sayin.
CuriousGuy (2 stories) (47 posts)
+1
10 years ago (2014-01-25)
Hey just wanted to share some information I had about Sleep Paralysis.

Usually, according to some research I've done is that its hallucinations you get while in sleep paralysis. The basic thought process I've come to think of based off the people I've talked to is the more comfortable you are with Sleep Paralysis the more comfortable the hallucinations will be (one guy I know has hallucinations of friends when he experiences it) while if your more scared of it you'll witness something more frightening.

Basically the thoughts of your mind (fear, happiness, Etc.) will be projected and influence what you hallucinate.

Also if you want to end it quick create a really rapid, irregular breathing pattern (since eye movement and diaphragm are pretty much all your body can control during this time frame.

Hope I've helped shed some light:)
Miracles51031 (39 stories) (4999 posts) mod
 
10 years ago (2014-01-24)
Ijustwanna - I agree with BadJuuJuu. I believe you experienced a classic case of sleep paralysis. However, to put your mind at ease would your boyfriend rearrange his bed? Seems to me that might be a way to see if this is sleep paralysis or something more.

I do think it's incredible and wonderful that your dad had a feeling about your paralysis and I mean that sincerely, not sarcastically. Has he had any other experiences with you or your sister like this?
BadJuuJuu (guest)
+2
10 years ago (2014-01-24)
A possibility that doesn't involve witches or demons...
Http://www.m.webmd.com/sleep-disorders/guide/sleep-paralysis
This is actually pretty common, and usually not paranormal. Superstitious ideas like "witching hour" and "demon's hour" can just make the incidents worse, as perceiving something as evil only increases fear. When something can be explained by science, its best to go with the scientific explanation.

To publish a comment or vote, you need to be logged in (use the login form at the top of the page). If you don't have an account, sign up, it's free!

Search this site: