You are here: Real Ghost Stories :: Misc :: Hauntings At Work?

Real Ghost Stories

Hauntings At Work?

 

This is my first post on here so bear with me! I'm 20 years old and I live and work in London. I have had paranormal experiences in the past but they have never been in my own home. I have been working in my current job since July 2013 (a sales job in a publishing house in Clapham) and the first few months there I never experienced anything out of the ordinary until around November.

I was sitting at my desk doing some sort of admin work when I heard some sort of humming noise in my ear. It was like one long deep hum in the same note for about 5 seconds. What was weird about it was that it didn't feel like it came from anywhere- this part is hard to explain; I mean it didn't sound like it had come from any sort of direction but it also didn't sound like it was coming from somewhere right by my ear and it also wasn't a hum that came from inside my head. I don't know, its really hard to explain, but anyway it startled me and I spent the next 5 or so minutes in a complete state of confusion. After that I forgot about it and got back to what I was doing.

Another thing I want to add is that ever since I worked there (although I didn't ever take notice of this in the beginning) weird things were happening to me in the toilets. We have a single room for the toilet which consists of two cubicles- a boys and a girls, although no one takes notice of the signs and usually just goes into whatever cubicle is free at the time. Anyway whenever I'd use the boys cubicle I'd have problems with the door, the lock would always get stuck. One time it was so bad I had to text one of my colleagues (I always take my phone to the toilet for a quick twitter/text check) and ask them to come and help me out. As soon as they came in there the door unlocked fine. As far as I know none of them have ever had any problems with that door.

Then at the end of November/early December a new girl started who sits behind me. There is a mezzanine in the office which is used at lunchtime for people who want quiet and sometimes for meetings if the conference room is booked up. I sit with my back facing the mezzanine but the new girl that sits behind me, faces it. We were chatting one day and she said that she thought she saw a man up there but he would disappear when she looked back. She said this happened a couple of times. She never went into much detail about the way he looked or what he was wearing though.

There is a church opposite our work and me and my colleague (Emma) think that maybe our office was built over part of the church grounds in the olden days or something?

I just find this all weird as nothing ever happens in my home or anything like that but when I come in the office I get all this stuff like the humming in my ear and the toilet door! Does anyone know why this might be and if the stuff I have experienced is paranormal or down to me being paranoid?

Hauntings with similar titles

Find ghost hunters and paranormal investigators from United Kingdom

Comments about this paranormal experience

The following comments are submitted by users of this site and are not official positions by yourghoststories.com. Please read our guidelines and the previous posts before posting. The author, CarysPugh, has the following expectation about your feedback: I will read the comments and participate in the discussion.

sds (14 stories) (1436 posts)
 
10 years ago (2014-01-28)
Dear CarysPugh, welcome to YGS. I will tell you something. First we eliminate the rational explanation before jumping on to paranormal. Well, I used to advise my friends when they tell me unexplainable things. Like Val suggested, it is always better to maintain a journal if the events are recurring.

Secondly, it is better to check your ears first and as far as the toilet doors are concerned, it might be coincidental. You better discuss with others in the office, perhaps that would give you some insight.

And I read your reply to Val's comments. Then you now start experiencing 'things' at home also. Because you said in your narrative that you don't experience anything at home. Now, you heard a "nooo" in your ears when you were sleeping and the iPad paused by itself.

So my suggestion would be (a) maintain a journal of whatever that is being experienced by you, if possible, with some rational explanation you could think of or why such a rational explanation doesn't fit in. (b) to clear-off medical possibilities, please do have your ear checked.

If after, these eliminations, the experiences do occur without any mundane reasons, then we shall have to turn to paranormal.

Keep us posted of developments.

Regards and respects to you.

SDS
valkricry (49 stories) (3269 posts) mod
 
10 years ago (2014-01-27)
CarysPugh,
Am I to understand that things are now happening at home as well as at work?
zzsgranny (18 stories) (3329 posts) mod
 
10 years ago (2014-01-27)
CarysPugh: Yes, I read your answer to Val 😊. I don't want to sound like I don't believe you, because I've experienced hearing a voice in my ear (the one ON the pillow 😆), and also deep breathing in my ear while on a ghost hunt with some other members of this site.

Anyway, here's an example of fluorescent lighting in an office:
Http://home.howstuffworks.com/fluorescent-lamp.htm
glesgaboy (24 posts)
 
10 years ago (2014-01-27)
Hello CarysPugh, London is a large and noise filled city with sounds I'm sure, bouncing on and off everything causing echos on the strangest of places.
Your part about the humming reminds me of a cafeteria I used to sit in in a hospital I worked in.
Depending on where you sat you could literally hear a conversation between two people sitting a good 70 to 100 feet away from you.
It had something to do with the shape of the place and how the sound carried.
Quite amazing actually.
The toilet doors, again like other comments made here could have been coincidental but the girl seeing the figure disappearing kind of makes me wonder if there really is something going on there.
Maybe you should research the building if you can with regards to history.
See if there is a connection with the Church you mentioned.
On another note, I spent some time in London a few years ago, Wembley Neesdon area.
Had a good time, quote the lively town!
GB.
CarysPugh (1 stories) (2 posts)
 
10 years ago (2014-01-27)
zzsgranny: did you read my earlier comment about what else has happened since posting this story? Also, I have no idea what type of lights they are! All I know Is that they have a tendency to cut out at the slightest hint of a storm😁 haha!
zzsgranny (18 stories) (3329 posts) mod
 
10 years ago (2014-01-27)
CarysPugh: One of the questions I have is about the type of lighting in your office. I'm assuming it's fluorescent. Fluorescent lights are notorious for humming and buzzing. This link explains it a lot better than I can 😆
Http://www.straightdope.com/columns/read/2110/why-do-fluorescent-lights-buzz

Don't forget to rule out any mundane explanation before deeming something paranormal. Please keep us posted!
AzraelX (8 stories) (115 posts)
 
10 years ago (2014-01-27)
Have you got your ear checked any time? If not, do so.
Tinittus coluld be the reason for the humming sound and many other sounds.

Tinnitus is the medical term for "hearing" noises in your ears when there is no outside source of the sounds.

The noises you hear can be soft or loud. They may sound like ringing, blowing, roaring, buzzing, hissing, humming, whistling, or sizzling. You may even think you are hearing air escaping, water running, the inside of a seashell, or musical notes.

Regarding the door being stuck, the question is - what is the material of the door and the door frame?
Is it made of wood?
Wood contracts at lower temperatures and expands at higher temperatures. The expansion and contraction are not uniform through out the door or the frame, creating tightness in certain areas of the door and frame.

In my house, the door to my room is always getting stuck.

Regarding the human shape in the periphery of the vision, it could also be of a psychological and natural cause. Your friend would have seen some shape in the periphery of her vision and her mind would have ascribed it a human tone and then her brain would given it more human attributes and thus she thinks she saw a human where none was present at all.

I have a graveyard next to my site, across my window. Nothing happens. Unless, your mind wants it to happen.
CarysPugh (1 stories) (2 posts)
 
10 years ago (2014-01-26)
Hi Valkricry, I never mentioned the humming to anyone else, but I will when I get into work and see whether my colleagues have experienced anything. Some more weird things have happened since I wrote this. Early last week I was asleep and it must have been around 3 or 4am and I woke up to a man shouting 'NOOO' in my ear, it was sort of like the humming noise in regards to I couldn't work out where it was coming from. I was really freaked out but I remember sort of smiling to myself and Then going back to sleep (weird I know). Anyway the night after that. I was watching a film on my iPad with my little brother and I said to him 'can you pause it quick while I go to the toilet' and no word of a lie AS SOON as I'd said it, my iPad paused on its own, me and my bro just looked at each other like oh my god! Then the next day I was at work and I'd come out of the toilet cubicle and went to open the main toilet door (note the door was slightly ajar) I went to push it open but it slammed shut before I'd even touched it. I opened the door and looked both ways to see if someone maybe closed it on their way past but there was no one there! After this I was really freaked out. A couple of days later I was at work in the kitchen heating up my lunch and I was looking out of the kitchen window waiting for the microwave to ding, when I saw a really huge shadow go past behind me, I usually would ignore this and pass it off as someone walking past outside the kitchen, but because so many other stuff had been happening I was freaked out and ran to look outside the door again and there was no one there (I can see because one ay
Way leads back to the office so I would see someone walking to their desk, and the other way is out of the front door and I would have heard it open and close) anyway I've been freaked out ever since and have been going to sleep early to make sure I'm asleep before everyone else
valkricry (49 stories) (3269 posts) mod
 
10 years ago (2014-01-25)
CarysPugh, although odd, there really isn't enough here to say either yes or no or even a firm maybe as to whether there's paranormal activity taking place.
Have you asked if any of your coworkers if they hear the humming? (You can always shrug off any weird looks by saying something like "must be wax in my ear or something.") Another thing you can do is a little research on the building to see if it is indeed built on old church grounds. Try keeping a journal of any oddities you run across (like the bathroom locks, humming, or anything else that seems inexplicable. You might see a pattern emerge.

To publish a comment or vote, you need to be logged in (use the login form at the top of the page). If you don't have an account, sign up, it's free!

Search this site: