You are here: Real Ghost Stories :: Apparitions / Voices / Touches :: A Haunting In My Dining Room?

Real Ghost Stories

A Haunting In My Dining Room?

 

This event happened when I was quite young, so I have a little recollection of it, and my mother does as well.

I grew up in a fairly nice 2-story, 4 bedroom, two and a half bathroom house in a suburban city just an hour or two away from San Francisco. In fact, I'm still living in that house. I have no idea when it was built, or who built it, but I know that my family must have been living in the house from the 70's and beyond.

When I was a kid, I remember seeing people in very old clothing, something you might see as "turn of the century" type clothing. It wasn't everywhere in the house, to my relief, but it was just in one room, the dining room. We never used that room besides for a sitting room for when guests would come over, or a drawing room for my grandfather when he got work as an engineer.

I never wanted to go in there when I was little. It was full of strange people that I didn't know as far as the younger me thought. I remember asking my mom if she saw them too, but she didn't.

Years later, as my mom was telling stories during dinner to my brother and I about when we were little, she would tell about how I saw people when I was a kid. Curious, I tried to remember what I saw, and I remember how they looked, and what sort of pattern in their walking that I saw. They would just linger a few steps, and mingle with each other and so on. When I glanced away and glanced back, they would be gone.

Did I imagine all of this as a kid? I no longer see anyone in this room, 10 years later, but I still get an eerie feeling when I'm alone in it.

Can someone help me?

Other hauntings by Chocolat

Hauntings with similar titles

Find ghost hunters and paranormal investigators from California

Comments about this paranormal experience

The following comments are submitted by users of this site and are not official positions by yourghoststories.com. Please read our guidelines and the previous posts before posting. The author, Chocolat, has the following expectation about your feedback: I will participate in the discussion and I need help with what I have experienced.

Chocolat (2 stories) (2 posts)
 
10 years ago (2014-04-01)
Thank you guys for telling me what could possibly be the cause of this. (:
AzraelX (8 stories) (115 posts)
+1
10 years ago (2014-03-19)
Yours is what is called a residual haunting. Scenes/events of the past somehow get imprinted or recorded on some medium, which we still don't know about. Sensitive people can see these recordings being played.

This is different from a supernatural haunting. Supernatural hauntings do indeed involve entities, both good and evil. But residual haunting do not involve any entities, but themselves are just recordings.
sds (14 stories) (1436 posts)
+1
10 years ago (2014-03-18)
Dear Chocolat, welcome to YGS. From your narrative, it is difficult to say if it were your imagination or you did see some apparitions in your dining room.

But if you are living in the same house, try to do some research or investigation about the house. You can ask some elderly neighbour or others, who have lived in that area for quite a long time. That could give you some clues, if there was anything paranormal attached to your house.

If there is any further development from your research, please post it and then we shall discuss further.

Regards and respects to you.

SDS
NorthCoastie (4 stories) (72 posts)
+1
10 years ago (2014-03-17)
Your experience reminds me of a story I heard from a speaker when I was in college. We had one of those extra credit speakers come in who gives a talk at the student union on some subject, and you get extra credit for going and doing a write-up on it or whatever.

We had some lady come in and talk about parapsychology. She said what got her interested was that she had all these memories as a small child of people in her house. She lived in some huge old house that apparently had a lot of empty rooms. She had these memories about the old lady who lived in the attic who used to yell at her for going up there, and a really kind guy in a soldier uniform, and some others I can't remember. It wasn't until she was older and brought up "whatever happened to so and so..." and her family was like "what the heck are you talking about?" that she realized something was up. She didn't know if these were dreams, her imagination, or what, but swore she would see these people in her house as a kid!
aarushi (11 posts)
 
10 years ago (2014-03-17)
i am really interested in paranormal... I watch horror movies search about places like Bhangarh and the screaming tunnel or whatever that is called... But some how I have not encountered strange sightings and feeling of being watched or an unknown presence ever...
Ghostexpert101 (14 posts)
 
10 years ago (2014-03-17)
As a kid you can see ghost better than adults. It depends if you seen a movie with different time periods it would explane the people I'm sensitive to ghosts and I know what it feels like when you don't know if it's real our fake. If you take pictures or videos in thier you can see orbs or other people in the pic or footage or if you have a phone that has a recorder and replay it to listen for a voice hope you find out soon
doe-eyedharu (2 stories) (14 posts)
+1
10 years ago (2014-03-16)
I think it might be a residual feeling of who lived there... Because they were not disturbed by your presence... It might be your imagination as well as a kid. 😲

To publish a comment or vote, you need to be logged in (use the login form at the top of the page). If you don't have an account, sign up, it's free!

Search this site: