You are here: Real Ghost Stories :: Haunted Places :: The Unexpected Encounter

Real Ghost Stories

The Unexpected Encounter

 

Once upon a time, I had an after school job at the local hotel, where my mother was the day chef. I was the night cook and enjoyed working in the old building that had been built before 900. The hotel had been an inn in the days when Richard the third had been in nearby Gloucester town. And it was considered old then!

I had heard tales of other girls from my year at school who had gone to work there and had fled screaming from the building because of "the ghosts". I was never a girly girl, and to this day it takes a lot to convince me of anything I haven't seen and felt myself. So... the evening shift held no great fear for me.

The kitchen was -and is- at the back of the building and the floor is made of cobblestones and flagstones, cool in summer and downright freezing in the winter. From the first kitchen, you have to go through four separate and windowless rooms to the far larder... And then turn round and come back out again because there is no other way out. This is important to know and to remember when you think you've seen the landlady go down to the far larder for the meat and you don't see her come back again! This happened more than once.

Some of the stuff that happened was quite funny. Ann -a girl who worked with me- was drying cutlery one night and I was preparing vegetables for the next day. We were called to the kitchen door (the only door remember), and when we turned back to the table... All my vegetables had gone. Carrots and leeks and onions and spuds. All the peelings were still on the table though. Ann and I searched the larders and the china store, but no vegetables I had to do it all again. Ann was crying with laughter as I was shouting to mid-air, "Thank you so very very much! Psychic onions is about all we need around here!"

For months over the Autumn and winter, Ann and I continued to work there without any great upsets, although a couple of the Saturday girls flew past us on the Christmas Eve when all the oven doors were opening and closing and the lights kept flashing on and off. In the Spring, though, things seemed to escalate a bit and all the new workers were having a lot of bother. The toilet light would go off and the flush would keep going and going.

The best sighting I personally had was when I worked on the day shift one day. They'd got a wedding on and I was to help in the kitchen and wait on if needed in the dining room.

We'd run out of Paprika and I got sent to buy some in the town. When I got back, I was told to go upstairs to the dining room. I'd still got the paprika in my hand and was climbing the stairs thinking what a glorious sunny day it was, with the sun coming through the big window and shining on the whole staircase. One of the barmaids called me when I was about halfway up and I turned back to answer her. While we were talking, a huge beautiful soft furred dog pushed past me on the staircase. "was I in your way there?", I asked it and Maureen and I laughed... That is, until it got to the foot of the stairs and disappeared, quite literally in front of our eyes. There was nowhere it could have gone. We were in bright sunlight. And, I had FELT it push me out of its way.

So there you go... Just one of the many sighting we had in the year or so I worked there.

Hauntings with similar titles

Find ghost hunters and paranormal investigators from United Kingdom

Comments about this paranormal experience

The following comments are submitted by users of this site and are not official positions by yourghoststories.com. Please read our guidelines and the previous posts before posting. The author, Vicki, has the following expectation about your feedback: I will read the comments but I won't participate in the discussion.

Abby (710 posts)
 
17 years ago (2007-09-22)
Dear Viki,

Your ghost story is ghostly, grinning amusing.

One starts wondering if all of England is haunted? ;) In fact I am starting to wonder if the entire earth is? :) There must be an epidemic of earth bound dead people?

I do think laughing about the experience at hand did help, certainly being scared to death or crying does not help matters in the least. It can compound it. If all else fails, laugh and laugh, it breaks up the energy, and may confuse and annoy the uninvited guest, pest ghost or ghosts.--Abby
bogienova (10 stories) (38 posts)
+1
17 years ago (2007-09-21)
Wow that is fantastic. I would love to see an old building with so much history in it.
Peace,
bogienova 😊
KimSouthO (27 stories) (1960 posts)
 
17 years ago (2007-09-21)
Thank you so much for sharing your story with us! I find the UK history fascinating! I to would love to visit and experience some of the history myself. Please share some of your other encounters with us, I would be delighted to read them.

God Bless!
ChrisB (6 stories) (1515 posts)
 
17 years ago (2007-09-21)
Hi Vicki. I agree with shane that the UK has a great history to itself and I'm sure that there is a lot of ghost activity in England. I heard that the most haunted places in thge UK are in BIrmingham city. I can not wait to go vist there. Maybe even next year. See you soon and take care
Shane (13 stories) (1258 posts)
 
17 years ago (2007-09-21)
Vicki, thank you for sharing your experiences with us. I always believed that the old english country side had more history to it than most places and when you have that much history you are bound to have ghost. One day I would love to visit the UK and experience some of the paranoraml events for myself.

Peace, Love, and Luck be with you.

To publish a comment or vote, you need to be logged in (use the login form at the top of the page). If you don't have an account, sign up, it's free!

Search this site: