You are here: Real Ghost Stories :: Apparitions / Voices / Touches :: Shadow Man In My Apartment

Real Ghost Stories

Shadow Man In My Apartment

 

I live in Hollowville, NY, a small village in Upsate NY. My apartment is in an old roadhouse, maybe 150 years old, maybe more. There was a murder here over a 100 years ago, although I'm not 100% sure it was in this building.

My boyfriend and I have lived here for 8 months. From the beginning, we noticed things, although we didn't compare notes for awhile. When we were in the bedroom, which we only are when we are sleeping, we would hear things moving around in the kitchen. It's a medium size apartment, and the two bedrooms are down the hall away from the rest of the rooms.

Sitting on the couch in the living room, you can see through the dining room to the hall. Both of us had noticed a shadow figure standing in the hall doorway on several occasions. The desk is also in the living room. If you are sitting there your back is to the room.

One night, I was at the computer, my boyfriend had gone to bed. I heard what I thought was my boyfriend walk through the dining room and into the living room, where the floor creaks. Then I felt a cool breeze. It was winter and the windows were closed and the heat on. I turned around and no one was there. A few minutes later I heard the footsteps again. That night there were a lot of noises in the kitchen, and just a feeling of someone being in the apartment.

For several months things like this went on; a door closing on its own, the shadow being in the hall, the feeling someone is around, the noises. As the weather got hotter though the activity slowed down, and now nothing has happened in a while.

Does weather or the time of year have an effect on paranormal activity? I can't think of anything else that's changed, either with my boyfriend and me, or with anything else.

Other hauntings by eden319

Hauntings with similar titles

Find ghost hunters and paranormal investigators from New York

Comments about this paranormal experience

The following comments are submitted by users of this site and are not official positions by yourghoststories.com. Please read our guidelines and the previous posts before posting. The author, eden319, has the following expectation about your feedback: I will read the comments and participate in the discussion.

eden319 (3 stories) (5 posts)
 
10 years ago (2014-06-17)
Well, I don't know if I've brought on the activity or not but it has definitely increased. A few nights ago, I wasn't sleeping very well. I had gotten up to bring a fan into the bedroom, and I know I had turned all the lights off afterwards, except the one I leave on that let's just a little light into the bedroom, just enough to see your way to the bathroom. I suddenly woke up and opened my eyes, then realized it was really bright. I was trying to figure out why; was the moon out, was the bathroom light on? When I hear a male voice. It sounded like a short sentence, maybe 7 syllables. That woke my boyfriend up. He asked why the light was on, and I said I didn't know, so he went to see. It was the dining room light, which we never use. The switch is right where we see the shadow man, and the voice sounded like it came from there also. My boyfriend said he did not hear the voice, although I believe it woke him up. Nothing has happened since.
Triskaideka (2 stories) (388 posts)
 
10 years ago (2014-06-05)
I live in a townhouse which is pretty modern. It's probably existed for about 20 years at maximum. But the window of my room doesn't seal fully. So during the wintertime, I can feel a bit of a draft. That means when I'm sitting at the computer (near the window) I feel that draft upon me. The room might technically be 74 degrees F but it feels like it's 68 F. And I live in Seattle, not in the Midwest or Canada. So I can't imagine what it's like in drier or more northern areas.

Now that it's summertime, I feel a draft only super late at night when it's all cloudy and rainy (as Seattle often is). The foggy nonwindy days are (hopefully obviously) the les drafty days. So yes, I'd say that air movement, chills, etc. Indoors would rely upon regular weather.

Otherwise, I have little useful input. 😊
eden319 (3 stories) (5 posts)
 
10 years ago (2014-06-03)
Also, if anyone is interested, here is a link to a little info about the area. I believe the tavern on the hill would be this building, and we live upstairs.

Http://www.usgennet.org/usa/ny/county/columbia/clav/holo.htm
eden319 (3 stories) (5 posts)
 
10 years ago (2014-06-03)
Thanks for your comments. So far I haven't felt threatened by this figure, but I have to admit at night I get almost terrified it's going to touch me. I have no idea why, whether it's in my head or some sort of intuition (which I guess would also be in my head, ha). We got one of those Android spiritbox apps, which I don't really believe is real, but oddly, it does seem to respond to what's on the computer screen. We use the app on a tablet, it responds to the laptop. We stopped though, because we decided it probably wasn't a good idea. We used it 2 days, then the next couple of days it sounded like someone was walking down the hallway several times throughout the day. We were in separate rooms at either end and both heard it more than once, each thinking it was the other. We've talked to a couple of people who lived here before, either in this apartment or one of the others, and they all said it was definitely haunted.
If something laid in my bed with me, that would be the last time I slept in that house, even if I had to live in a cardboard box.
randomassociate (2 stories) (7 posts)
 
10 years ago (2014-06-03)
I too have been living with something similar. But this shadowy figure has interacted with us (if you can call it interacting). He sleeps with my mother I mean, he lays down on the bed and tries to hold my mother, like cradle her while she sleeps. She used to get so freaked out by this that she didn't sleep in her bed for over a year, for fear of 'him' climbing into bed with her... 😕
Iamnobody (1 stories) (3 posts)
 
10 years ago (2014-06-03)
I think that weather might have something to do with frequency of hauntings, but most of my encounters have been in the Spring and Summer. I do know that the paranormal definitely are more active at night.

About the shadow, be careful. As far as I know, those shadow spirits are known to have malevolent intent.
Nectarvore (1 stories) (226 posts)
 
10 years ago (2014-06-02)
Also... Anniversary hauntings... Sometimes activity peaks, plateaus and comes down with regard to a date significant to the spirit. This is true of both residual hauntings and intelligent hauntings in my experience.
Nectarvore (1 stories) (226 posts)
 
10 years ago (2014-06-02)
I agree with BJJ... Increasing activity or intensity of activity with storms... Definitely. For me, myself, I find Autumn to be very active, the darkening of the year... Peaking with the Equinox... The Southern Autumn begins in March... So by the witches calendar our Samhain falls mid April. It's purely intuitive, but this time of year always feels gobliny and a bit tweaked for me. Any latent activity seems to gain power... Feeling also a natural flux of paranormal energy in the beginning of spring... Like the domain of the light half of the year seems to shake out the shadows or something...
Argette (guest)
 
10 years ago (2014-05-31)
I once heard that there was an increase in paranormal activity around the first of the year, say in the week before and in the weeks after.

In my own house, there seems to be more action January through April.
BadJuuJuu (guest)
 
10 years ago (2014-05-31)
I think that weather and seasons can affect paranormal activity. On rainy or stormy days, our property is much more active. Mostly outside, the yard and porch, we'll see stuff. Inside has gotten quiet even on bad weather days. Where we lived before, summer was extremely active, much more than winter. I've heard other people say their houses are more active in the cold months. Depends on the individual haunt, no two hauntings are the same.
Do you feel fear or discomfort? The activity you describe doesn't sound threatening, and I'm inclined to call it benign, but how you feel about it is what matters. I would suggest keeping a journal of the activity, date, time, weather conditions. Good advice that was given to me by another member, and that journal has helped me out alot.
anoopma1989 (3 posts)
 
10 years ago (2014-05-31)
in trissur kerala after second show many people see a big shadow man following them... One of my uncle see that and he noticed that that shadow have no left hand... His experince was terriffic...

To publish a comment or vote, you need to be logged in (use the login form at the top of the page). If you don't have an account, sign up, it's free!

Search this site: