You are here: Real Ghost Stories :: Haunted Places :: The Haunted Dome Building

Real Ghost Stories

The Haunted Dome Building

 

In the 1990s, I worked for the Department of Corrections / Central Administration located in the Dome Building, on Center Street, in Salem. This structure was part of the Oregon State Mental Hospital, and was connected to a neighboring building by an underground passage. The Department rented the building from the Mental Hospital. At one time it had been the Salem Hospital, and was an old, ornate building.

I worked on the first floor. I would use the women's restroom, down the right hallway from the front entrance. Many times when I was in a stall, it sounded like someone else was in the restroom. I would hear the paper towels being taken from the receptacle, and the sound of the towels being used to wipe hands. Many times when I entered the bathroom, the stalls were empty, so no one came in before me, and no one was there when I came out.

One winter night, I had been asked to work overtime. I was the only person left in the building. When I walked down the hallway to use the restroom, I looked upward. Near the high ceiling (about four stories high) were many cloud like objects, floating back and forth. It was fascinating to watch the clouds floating around.

It was a long drive home, so I stopped watching the clouds, and used the familiar restroom. While I was in the stall it sounded as if the door opened and someone was using the paper towels. I looked underneath the stall door, and there were no feet to be seen. Of course, when I came out of the stall no one else was in the room.

Other employees told stories of working in the building "by themselves", too. Employees heard doors slamming, keys rattling, doors were left opened that had been shut; and lights turned on or off.

Hauntings with similar titles

Find ghost hunters and paranormal investigators from Oregon

Comments about this paranormal experience

The following comments are submitted by users of this site and are not official positions by yourghoststories.com. Please read our guidelines and the previous posts before posting. The author, Tamarrah, has the following expectation about your feedback: I will read the comments and participate in the discussion.

Tamarrah (1 stories) (1 posts)
 
10 years ago (2014-08-24)
Greetings, Triskaideka: there were not any locker rooms, & it was a first floor restroom.

Hello, Johnny Cash Muse: I have had many, many paranormal experiences. I have worked, lived, and visited a number of buildings that were inhabited or visited by other wordly "life" forms.

I have read many, many books about spiritual beliefs and paranormal subject matter. I am always interested in new ideas/stories.

I have seen other cloud like forms, but the others were different from the ceiling floaters.

Hi, Argette: Thanks for the kudos. I have been scared by other paranormal events, but was not scared in the Dome building. Unless it's a demonic entity, I am not too scared.

Many thanks to you all for reading my story.
Triskaideka (2 stories) (388 posts)
 
10 years ago (2014-06-05)
I have a couple very strange questions for you.
Were the restrooms downstairs, and were there any locker-rooms connected to those restrooms?
Swimsinfire (11 stories) (556 posts)
 
10 years ago (2014-06-03)
Yup, scary. Now you know why you got asked to do the night shift. 😊 Hope they find their way to the light.
johnnycashmuse (guest)
 
10 years ago (2014-06-01)
Tamarrah,
Wow, sounds like an interesting place to work. Could be that a few of the former Hospitals workers and patients sre still in the old place long after they left this life's physical relm (So to speak. Fancy way of saying ghosts...Lol). The cloud things you talk about sound facinating, I have seen a lot of strange and some unusually formed spirits in this world but cloud like forms is a new one. I think I would have stood there watching too until Id have to run to the facilities.

Spooky old buildings are great, but not so much if you have to sometimes work in them for any real length of time.
Great story.
JACQUIE. 😊
Argette (guest)
 
10 years ago (2014-05-31)
Scary place to be all alone! I have worked in several scary workplaces and have never liked being alone at work. But a grand old government building is especially scary. Kudos to you for not running aways as fast as you could!

To publish a comment or vote, you need to be logged in (use the login form at the top of the page). If you don't have an account, sign up, it's free!

Search this site: