You are here: Real Ghost Stories :: Haunted Places :: Was This House Haunted, Or Am I Just Crazy?

Real Ghost Stories

Was This House Haunted, Or Am I Just Crazy?

 

So there are a few things that happened, all in the couple of years I was living in Virginia. We were living on base- my dad was in the military at the time. I loved it there, it was a big, two story house with three bedrooms and a downstairs that was huge. It was all well and good before some different things started to happen...

The first thing that happened was around Christmas time. My two older sisters, my parents and I were all outside hanging up Christmas lights and having a pretty fun time, and it was night time and relatively dark. My dad and I were chatting, I don't remember what exactly about, but mid sentence he stopped and said, "Look up there." and pointed towards the upstairs window that faced where we were at the time. I looked just in time to see a shadow move out from under the blinds like it knew it had been caught looking and I saw the blinds smack into the window and settle back into place. My first assumption was that this was my brothers playing around in my parent's room. They were not supposed to be in there and I walked into the house, ready to reprimand my little brothers. But when I looked into the living room, all three of them were fast asleep with a movie playing. My animals were down there as well, and when I went upstairs to see if someone had been in there, the door was closed so it's not as if the animals could have gotten in there. That seemed very odd to me. My parents immediately said it was a ghost and that's what they believed, but I was not so convinced.

The second event freaked me out more so than the previous one. It was nighttime again, and I got ready for a shower and hopped in as I did every night. About half way through my shower, the curtains suddenly were yanked open. My first reaction was that it was one of my brothers trying to pull a prank on me and such, so I started yelling, "Don't do that it's not funny!" And pulled the curtain back shut. But when I looked, no one was in the bathroom and I knew I didn't hear a door shut. I then reached out and jiggled the door knob, and it was locked.

The very last incident that happened baffled me. I shared a room with my two sisters, and my brothers shared the other room. Every day when I walked upstairs to sleep I found a toy on my bed. I thought my brothers were doing it and told them to stop and started to lock my door every time I left it. My sisters were always with me and my brothers could not have gotten in the room, but still, every night I would find a toy on my bed and I would tuck it underneath my bed and go to sleep. How could a toy have gotten on my bed from my brothers room when the door was locked? My sisters were with me all day, so they didn't do it. And my brothers were very young and didn't have a key to my room.

Is it possible that there was a ghost of a child in my house? With the pulling the shower curtain open, running away from the window when caught peeking, and a mysterious toy on my bed every day, that's the way it seems. What are your thoughts? Could a little boy or girl not yet at rest have been in my house?

Other hauntings by Lani12

Hauntings with similar titles

Find ghost hunters and paranormal investigators from Virginia

Comments about this paranormal experience

The following comments are submitted by users of this site and are not official positions by yourghoststories.com. Please read our guidelines and the previous posts before posting. The author, Lani12, has the following expectation about your feedback: I will read the comments and participate in the discussion.

ladyknight (4 stories) (19 posts)
 
10 years ago (2014-07-14)
Hi! I believe it is a ghost of a child. Maybe it wants to play with you or it wants you to know it is there.

Pray hard and if you want, get the place blessed.
sds (14 stories) (1436 posts)
+1
10 years ago (2014-07-13)
Hello Lani12, welcome to YGS and thanks for sharing. If your parents said that it must have been a ghost about the first incident, then my suggestion would be to ask them further about it. Secondly, I feel that something was trying to draw your attention to it. Do you still live in the house and do you have any further encounters in this regard? If you do stay in the same house and if your experiences continue, please do post it. It could give us more information for giving suggestions. If you don't live in the same house, then all I can say is that there was something that was trying to catch your attention.

If you have done any research about the house like asking your neighbours or parents, please do post it.

Regards and respects to you.

SDS
SilverWolf77 (1 stories) (41 posts)
 
10 years ago (2014-07-11)
The shower curtain bit freaks me out. Sounds like something from a scary movie.
otteer (8 stories) (398 posts)
 
10 years ago (2014-07-11)
Sounds like you had an interesting life in that house! I would tend to believe something was in your home but as to what, who knows. The fact your parents saw it, and there was no mention as to whether or not the lights were on in the bedroom, makes me think they did see something. That they so readily said it was a ghost leads me to think they had seen something before this? Something to ask them. Movement from yanking a shower curtain open is a totally different experiance from the wind lifting it, especially since most shower curtains are INSIDE the tub when a shower is taking place. I have had a cloth shower curtain outside the tub lift when the bathroom window was open, there was no sound. The curtain being yanked open, done that, as a young adult, my boyfriend was playing a joke on me, yanked open the curtain and ran out the door. There were footsteps and a metal sound from the curtain being yanked open. I turned quickly but had water in my eyes and couldn't see him, just heard the door close. Of course, he was in the hallway laughing while I was cursing lol. Interesting about the toy too. I would say over all, but not conclusively, you had some activity in your home. I enjoyed reading your experiences. Thank you for sharing!
Lani12 (2 stories) (7 posts)
 
10 years ago (2014-07-11)
Jwarren- Yes I have spoken to them, actually my sisters were doing the experiment with me to lock the door and we agreed to not go in there until bedtime and if we needed something two of us went in there to make sure the other was doing it. They saw the toys on my bed every day and were quite confused as well. 😊
Lani12 (2 stories) (7 posts)
 
10 years ago (2014-07-11)
Nickideums- Yes this was a few years ago and yes I do remember it. And I checked the lock on the door and tried to get in there myself and I was not able to- it was also a brand new hours
Nickideums (8 posts)
-1
10 years ago (2014-07-11)
Seeing dark shadows in a window when it's dark outside doesn't really constitute anything. Like I said before human eyes aren't all that reliable.

The toy thing really doesn't strike me as odd either to be honest, it sounds like you lived in a full house and I'm sure it's quite possible someone could have been screwing around. Unless the house is ancient there's actually lots of ways to unlock doors with keys and even if the door was really old, that just means it's even easier to unlock it.

The only thing that stands out is the shower curtain, but always, that's questionable at best. If you were taking a warm or hot shower, the heat, added with any air drafts or anything could have causes the curtains to move, it's actually the same concept to how a PSI wheel under a class moves.

Plus I don't doubt people remember things differently. Were the curtains really yanked "open" like all the way or did they just rustle or move or something?
elnoraemily (guest)
 
10 years ago (2014-07-11)
It definitely seems like it wants playful attention.

The curtains could have been a draft (the window, not the shower), but leaving a toy on the bed every day seems pretty deliberate, especially if no one else had access the room.

Maybe try leaving a toy out for it and see what happens?
Maybe set up a little camera, your laptop even, and see if you can see it playing.
jwarren (1 stories) (23 posts)
 
10 years ago (2014-07-11)
All of this stuff seems like things a child would do as a prank or joke, and with so many children living in the house it seems most likely that one of them did it.

But you seem sure that none of your siblings were involved. Have you spoken to them about whether or not they experienced anything?

Thanks for sharing!

To publish a comment or vote, you need to be logged in (use the login form at the top of the page). If you don't have an account, sign up, it's free!

Search this site: