You are here: Real Ghost Stories :: Orbs / Lights / Mists :: Lights In The Dark

Real Ghost Stories

Lights In The Dark

 

I don't know what these are, but I first began to see little lights around me when I was in high school in the 90's. Just to describe them, they only last for a second, and I mean I can look directly at them. They're usually white, but they can be any color (even black once, which looks like little holes in the air), and they range in size from smallish to miniscule (except for one, which I'll get to in a minute). They don't look as though they're only in my eyes, they look as if they're out in my field of vision somewhere and have distance to them, but even stranger, I think maybe I only see them with one of my eyes at a time. I think this because they have the same quality that light has when it's reflecting off a mirage in the road, or when you're looking at the highlights on a piece of glassware where both eyes can't focus on the same piece of light at once.

For a long time, I had no idea what they were and I thought I was crazy. I told my mom about them when this first started happening, who ended up actually taking me to the doctor in case something was wrong. They gave me a CT scan, but they found nothing wrong with me.

Usually, I will see these lights outside, either late in the day or full on night, but it helps if there's at least a little light to see by (for instance, moonlight makes them really shiny). I don't see them nearly as often indoors. I've noticed it depends on the location, but sometimes it seems like there are thousands of them, sort of like fireflies. They settle down in grass or hang out in trees. They don't literally float in the air; as far as I can tell, they're always attached or resting on something. But in some locations, even though I'm consciously trying to see them, I won't be able to spot any lights at all, or maybe only one or two. I had a bit of a time specifying a location for this story, because I've seen them all over the world, from California to the East coast, from Canada to Mexico, even once in a tomb in China.

Pretty early on, once I got used to the idea of these lights being around me all the time, I began to notice them on people and animals, too. I've seen them on hands and in the middle of foreheads. On cat's, I usually see them on their ears, and on dogs, on their nose. On people, most commonly it's their eyes, but I've seen them all over. I've seen them on horses all the way down to insects. It's like it's whatever part of the body might have its focus trained on you where you're allowed to see it, and something slips out for a second. For instance, I've seen them right as someone has started to laugh.

Ever since I was little, I had this weird 'problem' where bugs would fly into me like a bird hitting a window. I've never met someone else who has this problem where bugs are constantly flying full-speed into their ears (I have really sensitive hearing). I've also noticed that moths like to land right in the middle of my chest, and that my driver's side windshield always has a statistical nightmare of more insects-smears on it than the passenger side. It has occurred to me that maybe bugs can see these lights on people, too, and are getting confused.

Once, when I was in college (good-grief, about ten years ago, now), my boyfriend at the time and I were sitting on a couch in my parents' house talking when it started to get dark outside. We'll call him Fred. We didn't bother to get up to turn on the lights, we just kept sitting there while we talked, and we both started to notice these little, itty bitty lights all over my hands. I remember waving them around and watching the trails. He was the one that actually pointed them out, and then he held up his hands and tried to wave them around too. He said, "I wonder why I don't have them." His hands were just blank and dark. I learned a little later on that this guy was sort of a compulsive liar if not an actual sociopath. I think he was always trying to hide his real self.

But something similar happened one day with my current boyfriend when we were first dating. Let's call him Bob. We were sitting in a dark room talking and we ended up looking at our hands as we waved them around and we noticed all these tiny lights on them, just as I had seen with Fred. But we both had them, and we sat and played with them like giggling idiots for a while. I think it was because we were both being open and honest with each other.

Now for the creepy part. About a year ago, this one light actually seemed to be following me around for a while. It was yellow and a lot bigger than any of the other lights had ever been. I was home in Missouri visiting my parents when I first noticed it. I was staying in my old room, which was a basement room with two ground level windows near the ceiling. I remember it was full on night and all the lights were off except for the desk lamp when suddenly this huge, yellow light pops up right outside one of the windows like a silent explosion. It had all the same traits as the other lights I was used to, but it was so big I didn't believe, for a second, that it couldn't have been something real. I clearly remember seeing blades of grass and part of the window cutting across it, as if it were something that was actually out there. But I would have been looking very high up in the sky at the top of the tree-line from my perspective and my parents live in the middle of nowhere. I can't imagine what else it would have been.

I think I saw it a couple more times, the same color, just bouncing around here and there at normal size for the next few months, but then one day, when I was back home in Philadelphia, I saw it again, and for some reason, this time it really spooked me. To be honest, it had sort of spooked me in my parents' basement, too, but since I'd been in the city for a while at this point, I hadn't been seeing lights as often and wasn't as used to them just popping in like that. To be even more honest, I don't generally feel comfortable when I see them indoors, anywhere, unless it's on a living being, but I digress.

That night, Bob and I had a guest staying with us and I had gone up to my room to dig the air mattress out of the spare closet. I didn't think much about it and left the door open just a bit. Later, once everyone had gone to bed, I was in my bedroom alone trying to go to sleep when all of a sudden, my eyes flew open at the crack in the closet door just as the yellow light was going out inside. It was big again, not just a little point at all, but a shape that was actually cut off by the edge of the door, and it seemed to me like it was examining the things I had shuffled around earlier in a place I don't usually go into. This was the first time one of these disembodied lights have ever struck me as sentient or interested in what I was doing.

Since then, I haven't seen it again, but I'm a little wary of any disembodied light that isn't white, anyway, just because I don't know what they are. The white ones just seem friendlier and more innocent, and there's even one white light that visits me in the same spot whenever I'm working at my desk. However, sometimes a disembodied colored light just seems to be associated with a certain living person, or possibly their motivation toward me. I've noticed, at different intervals in my life, that I will often be able to see a certain, familiarly colored light right before the telephone rings, and I'll always know who it is. For some odd reason, I can see this kind the best when I'm looking into a bright computer screen. I've wondered even, if maybe somehow the thought can travel through the wires of the internet, and anytime I want to be in a really private, secluded space, I make sure I turn off the connection in my room just in case it leaves an opening of some sort.

I'm sure I have more stories about these little lights, but that's all I can remember for now. I'd love to hear if anyone else has shared a similar experience.

Other hauntings by IzzyC

Hauntings with similar titles

Find ghost hunters and paranormal investigators from Pennsylvania

Comments about this paranormal experience

The following comments are submitted by users of this site and are not official positions by yourghoststories.com. Please read our guidelines and the previous posts before posting. The author, IzzyC, has the following expectation about your feedback: I will read the comments and participate in the discussion.

IzzyC (3 stories) (13 posts)
 
10 years ago (2014-07-28)
I looked up the thing about what different colors are supposed to mean in auras, and according to one website, yellow (slightly on the orange side) actually means something like creativity and logical thinking. And then I started wondering if the big yellow light was ME. I'm a writer and I spend a lot of time in a pretty logical, creative state of mind. Perhaps, if it's not me, it's some energy I draw towards myself for this purpose, or perhaps a helpful muse.

I tend to agree with BadJuuJuu about at least some (if not all) of the lights being energy points. That's exactly what it seems like to me. Thank you for saying it so succinctly.

This is the website that talks about color: http://www.reiki-for-holistic-health.com/auracolormeanings.html, and for the most part, it makes total sense to me when I match the colors up to the individuals whose colors I know. However, one of the first lights I began seeing on a regular basis was a very brilliant royal blue, and while I never figured out who this was, I began to also associate it with a glow that would sometimes surround my car when I was driving late at night. It would also sometimes cocoon my skin or even the walls around me if I was someplace alone. I believed at the time it was a protective influence making sure that I was going to be okay, but Kiss's blue lights may in fact be due to some sort of inspiration, as the website suggests blue may mean 'insight'.
TheKissOfDawnHuddy (7 posts)
 
10 years ago (2014-07-24)
Thank you for your well written piece.

All I can add is that I'm experiencing blue little lights for about 4-6 years.
Had an encounter in 2008 with a huge blue flickering light in the mittle of the night (it was flying by & I could feel it comming). Then around 2010 I started to notice these strange little blue lights here & there & told it to my best friend (afraid of eye-diseases). Then by "accident" or (rather) 'synchronicity' I found out these lights show themselves to me in moments of "inspiration". Maybe I should elaborate this in my own first story - what do you think?

I'm glad I've found your story because I've never seen one that was so close to what I'm feeling (/experiencing).

😊
Swimsinfire (11 stories) (556 posts)
 
10 years ago (2014-07-24)
So just interjecting comments from my son who needs a little interpreting do to his aspirgers syndrome. You can develope some controle over what you understand and percieve of this energy by spending time meditating every day. And he does quite a lot of energy work every day, everywhere. You can learn a lot from shape and color, and visualize healing. He has learned the most from researching material from India, but he goes with the flow. Oh, and no emotion is bad, ie, anger isn't nesaserily bad until it's out of ballence. And after a while you find you can do a lot of things, so keep love at the front. 😊 ❤
Hecate0 (4 stories) (418 posts)
 
10 years ago (2014-07-23)
BadJuuJuu's personal energy intersection points theory sounds spot on. I do energy healing with my hands. I wonder what you would see if you went to an energy healer. Is it any different when you are in a crowd, and possibly dependent on the purpose of the gathering, say happy or sad, honest or deceitful. You mentioned talking openly and honestly with Bob and enjoying playing with the orbs around your hands. This is so interesting. Thanks for sharing. 😊
otteer (8 stories) (398 posts)
+1
10 years ago (2014-07-23)
Fascinating! I have had a few floaters too, but it was because my blood pressure got very high. Saw wavy lines too. It dosnt sound the same. My guess also was you are seeing energy points, after all, we are made up of energy! What a blessing to be gifted this way! I wonder if it could be developed so you could use it to help "heal" or identify points that need healing.
Thanks for sharing!
BadJuuJuu (guest)
+1
10 years ago (2014-07-23)
I have a crackpot theory on this, but I'm not sure if I can find my words enough to make sense lol.
To me, it sounds like you may be seeing high energy points. The way you mention seeing it around dogs' noses, cats' ears, people's hands and eyes, those seem to be intense sensory points. Dogs pretty much live in their own noses lol, everything comes down to scent. I recently read an article stating that dogs can identify prostrate cancer 98% of the time by sniffing a urine sample. They direct a lot of energy to their noses. Cats, crazy sharp hearing, a lot of their energy gets directed there. Humans rely more on sight and touch. We perceive the world in a much more visual way than our beastie companions. I think you may be seeing areas where energy naturally intersects.
That's my theory on part of it at least, that you're picking up on personal energy channels/intersection points. I think it's probably a similar thing with seeing these points of light in trees, grass, these lights are attached to the point the trees and grass draws in sunlight, a high energy point for the plants. If you could see the roots, I bet it would be a pretty dazzling show.
If you can perceive energy in this way, it doesn't seem too much of a stretch to think you could pick up personal energy, when someone is thinking about you for example. The lights you see just before someone calls you that you mentioned make me think that.
I wouldn't get too concerned about colors of the lights. Yellow representing anger, meh. Some shades maybe, other shades are just so darn cheerful. I would interpret the colors on a case by case basis, not so much as color, but by how the individual light feels.
I hope that made some sense.
IzzyC (3 stories) (13 posts)
 
10 years ago (2014-07-22)
I kept thinking about Swim's comment asking if the lights ever look like a waterfall, because I'd never thought of that before and usually these are just little round baubles that don't seem to move. But the lights I mentioned I saw around our hands weren't exactly stationary like all the others. Since I'm used to thinking of them as singular events, they appeared to me as hundred of tiny white lights all over and sort of around our hands. But since they moved with our hands, they appeared to shimmer and I guess you might say that it's the same sort of appearance that light has on water. It's never really occurred to me to go out and 'practice' seeing these lights, but now I wonder if I could teach myself to see them for longer intervals of time and maybe see what Swim's son is talking about.

I've since learned how to see the little shimmers on myself whenever I want (in low lighting), but I included that instance in the story because it was neat that Bob was able to witness them, as well.
Argette (guest)
 
10 years ago (2014-07-22)
Like Miracles, I have floaters, lots of them, and have had them since my mid-20s. But I don't regularly see lights. You have a gift, but darned if I know what it might be.

Thank you for sharing this amazing story!
IzzyC (3 stories) (13 posts)
+1
10 years ago (2014-07-22)
Thank you all for the feedback. It's refreshing to hear that there are others out there who have witnessed what I'm talking about, though I'm not able to see the lights continuously for longer than a second, so they never appear to move like a waterfall. They always remain stationary in my field of vision, even when I move my head or my eyes. I don't believe they are floaters due to the nature of my experiences, and also because I believe I DO have a floater or two which look nothing like these little lights.

The only times I specifically recall feeling a little spooked by these lights were the times I mentioned with the large one, and also when I would see the light I recognized as Fred's color after we broke up just because I was a little scared of HIM. I didn't really know what was going on when I first started seeing them to ask myself if I should be afraid, and they're kind of pretty when you see them in trees and things. There have been instances where I've encountered a bunch of actual, glowing insects somewhere and will sit there for a minute or two before I realize it's not these little lights of thought/intention.
WeScorchedTheSky (9 posts)
 
10 years ago (2014-07-22)
That is seriously cool. I gotta say, I kind of envy you. But it would probably scare the living day lights outta me. Honestly though, that's completely awesome
Miracles51031 (39 stories) (4999 posts) mod
+1
10 years ago (2014-07-22)
matsaw - I have floaters, diagnosed by my eye doctor, and they are nothing at all like what Izzy is describing. I realize all people are different and I'm guessing floaters could be also.
notjustme (19 stories) (852 posts)
+1
10 years ago (2014-07-22)
Matsaw - Thank you for your explanation of floaters and I do agree with you that half the time people who claim to see orbs are looking at floaters. I too see them all the time, and I know they are floaters and not orbs.

But in this story, I believe the author is indeed seeing orbs. Floaters don't have colour to them, or at least the ones I see don't. They just look like dancing black lines and I can even follow them because they tend to drift from one side to another. Orbs though have colour to them and would go in any direction they please, unlike floaters they just seem to drift wherever the eye fluids wash it. This is just my opinion.

Respects and God bless ❤
matsaw (2 stories) (38 posts)
+1
10 years ago (2014-07-22)
I've have seen these same types of light since I was a child and I'm sorry to say that it's nothing paranormal. This is the explanation that I have found and I believe it to by spot on. They are called floaters.

What Causes Floaters?
The inside of the eye is filled with a clear, gel-like substance called the vitreous. The vitreous helps maintain the shape of the eye and allows light to pass through to the retina. The retina is a thin, light-sensitive tissue that covers the inside back portion of the eye and works like the film in a camera. Floaters are small clumps of gel that form in the vitreous. Although they appear to be in front of the eye, they are actually floating in the vitreous and are seen as shadows by the retina.

The appearance of floaters may cause concern, especially if they develop suddenly. However, they are usually of little importance. As people get older, the vitreous shrinks and often separates from the retina. By the age of 50 years the vitreous has separated from the retina in about 50% of all people. As the vitreous detaches, it causes floaters. At first the floaters may be quite annoying, but the brain gradually learns to ignore them, and after several months they are hardly noticed.

Normal Eye
elnoraemily (guest)
 
10 years ago (2014-07-22)
This is fascinating! Thanks for the fantastic amount of detail and history you gave as well- I love learning about things I've never heard of before and this is the perfect example.

The idea of the energy of the lights being tangible is intriguing. I can only assume that these are some sort of auras/chakras like Swims mentioned because all other ideas don't fit at all.

You definitely have an amazing ability of sort sort. Stunning story- the firefly metaphor beings very happy and heartwarming thoughts.

I also have to echo a previous question and ask if you fear them at all, other than the creepiness you mentioned?

Best wishes to you and I hope all is well!
Swimsinfire (11 stories) (556 posts)
 
10 years ago (2014-07-22)
Izzy, seriously you have some kind of gift. Admitedly, at first I thought this was one of THOSE stories until you mentioned where you saw these lights. My son has this same ability and told me the same thing, and has learned it's everybody's individual energy. Every once in a while, like you say, when I'm not trying and just accepting I can do the same since he taught me. Does it sometimes look like a waterfall of little lights out of trees and some people? It's really normal for people like you who can do this. People have gifts for a reason, you know. Might be good to check it out. The emotion associated with yellow I think is anger, but maybe some of our posters more familiar with chakras would have better info. Very cool.
notjustme (19 stories) (852 posts)
 
10 years ago (2014-07-22)
IzzyC - Interesting experiences. I find it really cool you can "feel" these lights. I have a feeling the big one you see a lot is a guardian or a family member (I hope anyway).
Do you ever feel scared?
The rest of them, I like to think as other souls that you can see the aura of. Either way, super neat!

To publish a comment or vote, you need to be logged in (use the login form at the top of the page). If you don't have an account, sign up, it's free!

Search this site: