You are here: Real Ghost Stories :: Family / Friends Visits :: My Papa Said Goodbye!

Real Ghost Stories

My Papa Said Goodbye!

 

Friday, July 21, 2006, I was going to Wisconsin to visit my dad for a week. Now here's a brief history on that... I am 24, I never met my dad until I was 21, so this was the second time I went to Wisconsin to visit. My daughter was 11 months old, we stopped on our way out to see my Mom and Papa and say good bye, my Mom said that I needed to say "Goodbye for good". It was so hard to do, my Papa had been sick for about six years with dementia and eventually full blown Alzheimer. He was so sick when I was supposed to leave that I almost didn't go at all.

My family told me to go because Papa would want me to. I remember when I was little one time I asked him if he would be my daddy, he said "I'm your Papa, but you do have a heavenly father". I was very close to him, I went to church with him every Sunday when I was younger, and I personally feel that I was the closest to him of all the grandchildren.

Sunday, July 23rd, two days after we left my mom called and told me he had passed. I dropped to my knees and just cried uncontrollably. I was going to cut my visit short and go home for his funeral and to be there with my family. My mom asked everyone there (at the house where he passed) if they would have any ill feelings towards me if I stayed in Wisconsin for the rest of the week as planned, they understood that Papa would have wanted me to stay and get to know my dad and family up there. I had to make the decision to stay or go, I really felt guilty about it but I stayed, I should have been there going through the same thing everyone else in my family was going through. I was really sad and cried every time I thought about him and my family back home.

That night when I went to sleep I was dreaming about cars and people everywhere, I don't know it was weird, then all of the sudden, I was sitting in a chair and I saw my Papa, he walked around and sat in a chair across from me, sat and looked at one another for a minute and he says, "Abby, I Love you!" then he was gone and I woke up and cried. I know that was his way of saying goodbye! I felt a little more at ease after that but I still feel guilty that I wasn't there for my family.

I still have a very hard time talking about him, or in this case writing about him. I cry A LOT, I can't bring myself to go to his grave although I really want to.

This was really hard for me to write, I cried the whole time, so I hope you enjoy it.

Other hauntings by AbbyRose

Hauntings with similar titles

Find ghost hunters and paranormal investigators from Florida

Comments about this paranormal experience

The following comments are submitted by users of this site and are not official positions by yourghoststories.com. Please read our guidelines and the previous posts before posting. The author, AbbyRose, has the following expectation about your feedback: I will read the comments and participate in the discussion.

Bellissima (12 stories) (792 posts)
+1
17 years ago (2007-10-05)
Me again, AbbyRose. I just wanted to mention that you shouldn't feel bad about not going to your Papa's grave. That's only his body, you carry his spirit with you everywhere you go. Maybe some day you'll go, but if you can't bring yourself to do so your Papa won't mind. I'm sure he's around you all the time whether you feel it or not. ❤
Gummybear (2 posts)
+1
17 years ago (2007-10-04)
😢 I understand what you mean my grampa passed away and well I didn't really get to say bye and then once he came into my dreams like 3 weeks ago and told me to remeber that he loved us and that he was happy! So yeah... Well hope you feel better!
KimSouthO (27 stories) (1960 posts)
+1
17 years ago (2007-10-04)
Your story was very heart felt and touching. Thank you for sharing it with us.

I feel that not only are our loved ones telling us good by when they visit us after passing they are also telling us they have moved to peace and happiness, without pain. They want us to try to have peace and happiness also. It is important to them. You will never forget him, but try to make your memories fill you with happpiness and light not sadness and grief.

God Bless!
Abby (710 posts)
+1
17 years ago (2007-10-04)
Dear AbbyRose,

Your memory of that good-bye will be with you forever, as well as your Papa. In your heart and in your memory, always.--Abby
Bellissima (12 stories) (792 posts)
+1
17 years ago (2007-10-04)
AbbyRose, I'm glad you got your moment with your Dad, he sounds very nice. You're lucky to have had him for the time you did, many do not. I hope you can come to some feeling of closure, it seems that's what he wants. Good luck with everything.
Shane (13 stories) (1258 posts)
+1
17 years ago (2007-10-03)
Very heart touching story AbbyRose. Loved ones do return to let us know they are okay and how much they love us. Thank you for sharing your story with us.

Peace, Love, and Luck be with you.

To publish a comment or vote, you need to be logged in (use the login form at the top of the page). If you don't have an account, sign up, it's free!

Search this site: