You are here: Real Ghost Stories :: Apparitions / Voices / Touches :: The Vanishing Window Woman

Real Ghost Stories

The Vanishing Window Woman

 

The first experience that I will bring to you occurred when I was around 19 years old. My grandmother lived (still does) across the parish road from my parents' house. Often, and usually on specific nights of the week, she would call to tell us that someone was breaking into her house. She would hear sounds outside, hear footsteps in her attic, or smell tobacco smoke. She lives in the house that my grandfather built back in the 1970s, so nothing out of the ordinary occurred there.

Every time my grandmother called, either my dad or myself figured it was just the "boogeyman" and go walk or drive around her house to appease her. We always just said that maybe it was her imagination or maybe she dreamed a noise and thought it was real. My grandmother feared that it was a relative down the road that had mental issues and was waiting outside of her house to grab her up in the middle of the night. While I cannot guarantee that he never sat outside smoking a cigarette at some point, I can honestly say that what I saw one night definitely was not my insane relative.

The night was just like any other. I was home from college for the weekend and watching TV. My grandmother called my cell phone, I was more reliable than my dad for answering these late night "boogeyman" calls, and I could hear in her voice that something was wrong. She was whispering, yet her voice had an echo. With her trembling words, she told me that someone was banging on her bedroom window trying to get in. I thought it was the usual, but then I could hear the banging. The kind of banging that only comes from hitting a glass pane window. I immediately hung up the phone, grabbed my 12 gauge, and ran out to neutralize the situation.

I bolted out the back door so as to not throw any light and give away my position. I was certain that this was the real deal and someone was going to die that night. Using trees, bushes, the mail boxes, and the tractor parked in her driveway, I worked my way to her house from cover to cover, which was about 80 yards. My eyes were fixed on her bedroom window. It was pitch black dark outside her window. The kind of dark that engulfs you and leaves you disoriented. Her motion sense light should have been on by her bedroom, but it wasn't. I was crouched behind the tractor about 30 years from her window; well within range of a good load of buckshot.

What I saw next left me stunned and questioning things to this day. When I crouched around the tractor tire and drew down my gun on target, there was a white figure there outside of her window. The whole way getting to her house, I saw nothing, yet here was the white misty figure of an old woman with her hair in curlers or a woman in a nightgown and nightcap. There were no feet. She was looking in my grandmother's window. My finger firmly gripped the trigger, yet I hesitated. In the tiny instant that I saw this figure and took everything in, it disappeared. Well, not exactly disappeared. It swirled up into a ball kind of like how the Milky Way Galaxy looks swirled or a whirlpool. As soon as it swirled into a ball, the swirl spun tighter and tighter until it seemed to implode on itself. At that moment, the motion sense light came on like it should have been in the first place.

I have a few other experiences to relate, some at my grandmaw's house, others elsewhere. I will wait and post more stories later.

Other hauntings by CountingCoups

Hauntings with similar titles

Find ghost hunters and paranormal investigators from Louisiana

Comments about this paranormal experience

The following comments are submitted by users of this site and are not official positions by yourghoststories.com. Please read our guidelines and the previous posts before posting. The author, CountingCoups, has the following expectation about your feedback: I will read the comments and participate in the discussion.

dreamergal72 (6 stories) (793 posts)
 
9 years ago (2014-10-16)
Hi there, I live in Louisiana too. I know you what you mean about mist and milk way and swirl way and I world have freak out if someone/ghost at my window. I understand how your grandma's feel when she alone at her house where your late grand paw build before he passed on.
CountingCoups (5 stories) (14 posts)
+1
9 years ago (2014-10-15)
Well, in Louisiana we do things differently... Not really. Yes it was a typo.

The usual response time is 30 minutes to an hour. There are only two deputies for the parish. I wasn't going to waste any time getting to my grandmother by calling the sheriff first. In St. Helena Parish, we remedy the problem first and call the law later.
Miracles51031 (39 stories) (4999 posts) mod
 
9 years ago (2014-10-15)
Lord - *shaking my head in embarrassment* Ummm... How in the world did I miss that when I edited this story? 😆

Sorry, CountingCoups 😊
valkricry (48 stories) (3257 posts) mod
+4
9 years ago (2014-10-15)
I'm sorry but this auto-correct (I assume) made me giggle: "I was crouched behind the tractor about 30 years from her window". For a brief moment I wondered how far is a year, then realized it was YARDS. *shakes head* sometimes I swear I wonder if I've a mind left.
Anyway, I found this account to be interesting. At least you know Grandmother wasn't bonkers. But, I have to ask, why you didn't call the police after hearing that noise? My uncle lives in a very rural area and reacts the same way - grabs his gun to go confront what-ever, but always calls the cops too because as he says, "Well what am I going to do with a dead body? Somebody's gotta move it."
Wish-Not (16 stories) (534 posts)
 
9 years ago (2014-10-15)
CountingCoups- Great story! Enjoyed the detailed description on your quick journey to your grandmothers house. I hope she didn't have to put up with too much of this kind of activities.

Waiting on your next! Thanks for sharing.
Femaelstrom (1 stories) (56 posts)
 
9 years ago (2014-10-15)
Aww, your poor Gran! You might want to broach the subject of spirits with her, or ask to see old family photos to help determine who the suspected spirit might be.

I feel for the spirit, too. Sounds as though they're confused... That happens with elderly. (I outta know at MY age... 😜)

To publish a comment or vote, you need to be logged in (use the login form at the top of the page). If you don't have an account, sign up, it's free!

Search this site: