You are here: Real Ghost Stories :: Misc :: White Ghost

Real Ghost Stories

White Ghost

 

Someone must have pulled the emergency chain for the train, I thought, as it stopped so suddenly. The sudden cessation of movement caused us all to fall forward.

Shaken, we stood up and put our heads out of the now motionless train's windows. Most passengers crowded outside.

It wasn't long before the police arrived on the scene.

It appears that someone had been crossing the line, and had been struck by the train. It was just one station before my intended destination: Baharampore.

Someone remarked that the body was still lying there. I was about to have a look for myself when someone caught my hand firmly. It was none other than the fellow passenger with whom I had been talking throughout my four-hour journey from Kolkata.

"There's nothing to see in that lifeless body. There is only a lot of blood and some mutilated limbs," he said. "It would make you very upset."

I carefully hid my curiosity.

It was half past four in the evening. My fellow traveler told me that he was also going to Baharampore, so we hired a one-cycle-van, being the only available transport for hire locally.

We talked ceaselessly as we traveled along. Sometimes about politics, sometimes about the present education scenario and sometimes about the high casualty rate in the traffic system. However, I couldn't help my mind returning to that unseen body. Who had lost his precious life, I wondered. I was twenty-six years old. There are so many things to see in life. Death was something I just didn't want to think about.

It was my first trip to Baharampore. A friend had invited me to spend a weekend at his home. I thought it would make a good escape from the clatter of Kolkata. It would be a change from the monotonous and weekly hustle-bustle of my everyday life.

On finally reaching my friend's house, I decided to say nothing about the accident or my ten-minute cycle-van journey. Actually, I'd enjoyed that open cab ride. Other than that mishap on the train, the whole journey had been most pleasant. I didn't want to make my friend unhappy by discussing sad things. Ankush, my long-time friend, was a good person, and his mother was anxious about the dish she was preparing for me. I didn't want to spoil anything that evening.

Since I was a city dweller, they were worried that I might find their rural home, which lacked electricity, difficult to get used to, but I really enjoyed sitting on the roof of their home on that starry night, soaking up the atmosphere, drinking coconut milk, eating fresh vegetables and fruits, and listening to his friends, whose native pronunciation of the very Bengali words I used was so very different from mine.

They asked me endless questions. About my work, my family and myself, which I was pleased to answer. I tried to respond in as much detail as I was able. They seemed pleased to hear that I am a writer. But, before long, I was rescued by Ankush.

Then one of his friends mentioned the accident that had killed an eighteen-year-old girl that very afternoon.

Ankush said to me, "Hey, I think you must have been there. Didn't you see anything of it?"

I told them everything I knew, and explained the reason for my silence.

To my utter surprise, they laughed uproarishly, as though it was a common happening.

Ankush said that, indeed, it was not a rare thing thereabouts. They were quite accustomed to accidents on the railway line.

I listened to what they were saying to each other without taking any further part in the conversation.

Ankush smiled at me, and tauntingly asked me if I was scared.

On hearing this, I became angry. I didn't see that they had any right to accuse me of this.

Bhuvan, one of the friends, said to me, "Well, could you go to where it happened? Right now. Alone? If you can, we can presume that you are not scared."

I agreed.

Accordingly, we immediately went to the place where the accident had happened, but deliberately kept a fair distance from the exact spot. They dared me to walk right up to the place where the young girl had been killed. It was barely visible as it was lit only by the light from the stars and a partially concealed moon. Only the signal glowed red.

Despite Ankush's protest, I started walking forward. It was really difficult for someone like me, to accept this as fun. Nevertheless, I wanted to demonstrate to them that I was really a brave man, and that I could accept their silly dare.

Walking in the dark was difficult as stones were scattered everywhere. I found I was sweating as I walked. But it was a challenge that I simply had to win.

Suddenly, before me, I saw a shadowy white object quivering exactly where I was heading. I stopped for a moment. It could be an hallucination, I reasoned. I started walking forward again. But, now, the apparition was quite visible. It was a person draped in white. And that wraithlike person was doing something. Who or what was it? Was it an illusion or ... ? The possibility that it was something paranormal sent a chill was running down my spine. I almost died with shock as someone put a hand on my shoulder. I just stopped breathing and closed my eyes.

In that gloomy light I found it was none other than Ankush who had been following me. He also saw what I had been seeing.

We drew closer and found what we had seen was an old person swabbing the place with water. There was no body, nothing of the dead girl remained.

"Eto rakto! - So much blood!" he was quietly saying to himself over and over.

It turned out that he was the stationmaster, whose son had died in the same way in a train accident twenty-five years previously. On one such cold night, such as this was, he was being chased by police officers and, without warning, a train thundered along and ran over him. After that sad incident, the stationmaster became mentally disturbed, and always took it upon himself to erase all evidence of such accidents.

Hauntings with similar titles

Find ghost hunters and paranormal investigators from India

Comments about this paranormal experience

The following comments are submitted by users of this site and are not official positions by yourghoststories.com. Please read our guidelines and the previous posts before posting.

MyLiliMarlene (9 posts)
 
8 years ago (2016-04-01)
Beautifully written. However, I want to know why your friend was acting like such an &;$:$37;!:8 hole?
Pragya (5 stories) (68 posts)
+2
11 years ago (2013-06-12)
I feel sorry for the station master and all those who have lost there loved ones like that. Its a well written story though.
Sceptic-Ari (2 stories) (611 posts)
 
11 years ago (2013-05-18)
And buddy don't thank me... I was merely stating the truth...that's all šŸ˜
Sceptic-Ari (2 stories) (611 posts)
 
11 years ago (2013-05-18)
Dear sds,
I realised why you wanted me to read this story as soon as I recalled the ending.
And sure we'll be in touch. I'm updating my profile with an e-mail address right now.

Regards
sds (14 stories) (1436 posts)
+1
11 years ago (2013-05-18)
Thanks Ari for such kind words. When I was reading, I just remembered your recent story "The ghost that wasn't" and wanted to bring to your attention. Thats all. We will stay in touch for sure.

Regards and respects to you.

SDS
Sceptic-Ari (2 stories) (611 posts)
+2
11 years ago (2013-05-18)
Dear sds,
How nice of you to recommend this story to me ā¤
Actually,I finished reading all the stories from India a long time ago, near about the time I started on this site.
It is, beyond doubt a very well written story.Mr.Raja seems to be a master of the language.Alas!he had already left the forum a long time before I joined, or it would have been really interesting.
You're such a pal sds. I had totally forgotten about this one. Thank you.

Regards
sds (14 stories) (1436 posts)
+3
11 years ago (2013-05-18)
Hi, Mr. Raja must have been a courageous man though nothing of the sort of paranormal event happened then. But the story plot was good until the end when the climax was reached to an unexpected ending. Ari, you should read this story.

I was just going through old stories from this site when I stumbled on to this.

With Regards and respects,

SDS
xmas-santa (5 posts)
 
11 years ago (2012-11-13)
so bassically the girl was not there and rokto kothay chilo okhantai
badshah_sumeett (9 posts)
+2
12 years ago (2012-07-14)
Bahot achi story hai apki. I really liked it very much. I'm also an Indian from nagpur, maharashtra and I believe in all mantras. It really works but now a days mostly people are caught by fraud babas.
Bluerose19 (3 stories) (164 posts)
+2
12 years ago (2012-03-26)
I feel bad for that 'disturbed' station master...Really! šŸ˜¢ No one will be able to understand the trauma that he went trough... I just hope he has family members to take good care of him... May God help him...
sawwheeler (13 posts)
-2
14 years ago (2010-02-09)
that was a long story I couldn't read all of it so I read some of it and gave up after a while
scaryboy (2 stories) (117 posts)
 
15 years ago (2009-01-31)
yes martin what you said is correct and the person might have been disturbed by circumstances all around and did like that well raja be careful
Scary boy
tanushree (2 posts)
 
15 years ago (2008-10-30)
hey raja... It was indeed a nice story feel really bad for that station master...
whitebuffalo (guest)
+2
16 years ago (2007-12-01)
Thank you Raja for this story. What you proved here was that our minds do play tricks on us and would have us believing in things that are truly not there. At first you believed that you were seeing a ghost, and in fact, it was the station master. The title is very appropriate, though I doubt that you wrote it with the same thought that is in my mind. Thanks again.
PrincessKatie (7 stories) (420 posts)
+2
16 years ago (2007-09-28)
I enjoyed reading this story really interesting I though thanks for sharing it with us. šŸ˜Š
arnav (guest)
+2
17 years ago (2007-04-10)
a very good story ,keep writing more and more stories...
Bliss006 (6 stories) (49 posts)
+2
17 years ago (2007-02-13)
Great Story Raja! But it is an real sad situation to witness such accidents, I have seen many such accidents on the railway tracks in Mumbai.
Megha (guest)
+2
17 years ago (2007-02-07)
Well written but there should have been a flavour of the supernatural side, at least, so far as the title is concerned; anyway honestly documented real incident; good work; keep it up;
tara (guest)
 
17 years ago (2006-12-31)
india is full of ghosts especially the villages in ooty
virender verma (guest)
 
18 years ago (2006-08-12)
very good and natural story.
mira (guest)
+2
18 years ago (2006-08-05)
Your story is absolutely fascinating I was sucked in,you write really well. I am very interested in ghost story's and yours was really good. Keep up the good work!
Himanshu Gupta (guest)
+2
18 years ago (2006-08-04)
A very naturally written, But I think you should never have said that it's a story...!!
Anyways i would like to read some more like that from you.
(((( (( (I liked it) )) )))
laaki (guest)
 
18 years ago (2006-08-04)
well written.. needs some polish though. keep it up :)
Sankha (guest)
-1
18 years ago (2006-08-04)
The story is well, but I think the story has ended suddenly when still the flavor of the story going on. The name of the story is "white ghost" but where is the ghost....??? Does it the station master?? If so, surely he is not a white person. I wonder you why you choose such a story title. Does not any ghost appear to fright us or a ghost even seen in the whole story? Who is the white ghost here...is that we common people who are frighten by scene of a Un-natural death and turns pale in fear?
Kamanashish Roy (guest)
 
18 years ago (2006-08-04)
That is really a good one. But I donā€™t confirm Martin's view. He has missed the essential humanity of that station master. I even donā€™t want to categorize it in this genre; it has something else, something more from being a mere ghost story. The casual beginning made me thirsty and I wanted to know more about the station masterā€¦but I must say you have ended the story at the right place. Thanks for leaving me with my thirst.
Waiting for something more from you. Carry on
King (guest)
 
18 years ago (2006-08-04)
Hey Raja, what a story it is. I wish it would have been real and I would have been at UR place. Sort of adventure I like. Keep it up.
Cheers!
Martin (602 posts) mod
-1
18 years ago (2006-08-03)
Hi Raja, well if I understand correctly, the station master wasn't a ghost, but a real, mentally disturbed person. So it's an "almost ghost" experience ;-) Very well written by the way.

To publish a comment or vote, you need to be logged in (use the login form at the top of the page). If you don't have an account, sign up, it's free!

Search this site: