You are here: Real Ghost Stories :: Haunted Places :: Can I Just Not See Them?

Real Ghost Stories

Can I Just Not See Them?

 

This story deals with the same friend who was in the Frantic Energy story I posted- she apparently is very sensitive to the paranormal and energy. A recent post on here reminded me of this encounter.

When we were a bit younger (not young enough to excuse being this stupid), there was an abandoned house across the street from my friend's house. They (my friend and her boyfriend) lived in a tiny town about an hour outside of Santa Fe and the area around is littered with old ruins (this is rather common in New Mexico). This house had sat empty for multiple years. It was an old abode that had likely been built around 1950, just judging by the stucco they used (there are different methods used and some of the older ones involve using chicken wire and straw, while more modern methods do not and use installation instead). What fascinated us was that you could still see the house completely set up through the windows- beds and pictures in place, cups sitting in the kitchen. The detached and rather dilapidated garage was full of fascinating antiques- old appliances, the glass conductors that used to be on telephone poles and old car parts- which also helped give a date to this home.

We, being rather irresponsible, decided that breaking in and exploring was the best thing to do. The door was held closed by a chain that did not have a lock attached (apparently, just a visual deterrent). It took us about five seconds to get into the house, which opened into the kitchen. It smelled rather terrible and we went back to get masks that my friend had at home for painting and other projects. It was a strange experience. The kitchen had plates that still had food and cups with old drinks in them that the family did not bother to move. There was boxes in the kitchen that made it seem like they had once planned to empty the house and then decided not to. Everything was still there- TV's, family pictures, records, jewelry and letters. The closet still had clothing hanging and the bathroom still had toothbrushes in the holder. The only tells that no one still lived there was the layer of dust on everything and the rotting food left behind. There was a part of the living room wall that had partially rotted out from what I presume was water damage. It was a one bedroom, one bathroom house with a large living room and kitchen- pretty normal for that area. We found paperwork in the bedroom- an older man who had died and the woman was very ill and likely dead at this point, since her paperwork was from years ago. There were even old oxygen containers and breathing masks in the bedroom.

What made that house strange and gave it a strange feeling were two rooms that were closed off. One seemed to be a catch-all: it was loaded with old art, old boxes, books, a birdcage and things that the owners apparently did not want to throw away. You could barely step through it, even though it was large enough to be a bedroom. A tiny room was off the kitchen. It has been painted over and locked with a slide and a chain lock. When we got the door open, it was apparent that room was caving in on itself. The floor was covered in inches of rubbish, but it held an old bed and an old dresser, which sent my friends on a tirade that someone had been locked in there. I don't believe that, since there was a window you could reach from on top the bed that would have served well as an escape and the room had obviously been sealed long ago. I figured it was a makeshift bedroom at one point in time that had no longer been needed.

As we were leaving, my friend said she could hear whispering in the house. Her fiance agreed with her and they hurried out. I heard absolutely nothing. Not a peep. Since there was no power -we brought our own flashlights- or working pipes, I could not even hear those normal house sounds. She and her boyfriend were very unsettled by it. No one seemed to know what it had said, just that it seems agitated. They were both standing right next to me when this is said to have happened. For the rest of the night, they were jumpy.

A day later, she gets a hold of me and says that a black figure was following them since they went into the house. They had taken some things out of the house (an old watch and an antique camera) and she believed that the spirit was mad at them for taking it. She said that once they returned the goods they had taken, she no longer felt followed or saw anything. They took a friend with them back into the house when they returned the items and he also agreed that he felt something there. He is also a very strong believer in the paranormal.

My question would be- am I incapable of having an experience or were my friends just freaked out by a weird old house? This is the second time this had happened with her- when she experienced something in a place I was and I got nothing out of it. Or did everyone just get unsettled by being in a strange place? Three people swear they experienced something in the same place I have been and even at the same time, but I still have not had an experience of my own.

The only thing that I got from that house was a hope that when I pass, someone at least takes the memories with them instead of leaving them to gather dust.

Also, don't break into houses, abandoned or not.

Hauntings with similar titles

Comments about this paranormal experience

The following comments are submitted by users of this site and are not official positions by yourghoststories.com. Please read our guidelines and the previous posts before posting. The author, elnoraemily, has the following expectation about your feedback: I will read the comments and participate in the discussion.

elnoraemily (guest)
 
9 years ago (2015-04-09)
Notjustme <3 <3

I don't think that requires 50 characters, computer.
notjustme (19 stories) (852 posts)
+1
9 years ago (2015-03-31)
Hope you're doing ok wherever and whatever you're doing, and doing it happily ❤
elnoraemily (guest)
+1
9 years ago (2015-01-22)
TWIN!

*tackles notjustme into a hug*

:D

One of the most enjoyable things to do is take a term from psychology and try to make it come to life as a photograph. Some are easy and some require a lot of thought. It's a great exercise:D
notjustme (19 stories) (852 posts)
+2
9 years ago (2015-01-12)
Elnoraemily - I just read your profile and you seem like my long lost twin. From the love of psychology to photography and the need to understand everything ❤. Besides all that, I am also a huge animal lover and have a green thumb. I just had to say...
elnoraemily (guest)
 
9 years ago (2015-01-08)
I just had a vision of myself as a ghost trying to get my fiance's attention and getting swatted like a fly. I think the first times would be amusing and after that, I would probably start throwing things at him:P

That is a good point about age. Technically, my brain still has two years to finish developing fully. Maybe there is a switch that still has not finished yet.
Miracles51031 (39 stories) (4999 posts) mod
+2
9 years ago (2015-01-07)
elnora - I've thought about this for many years. I've come up with several theories, none of which may be true LOL. I think, in some cases, people try too hard. I don't know why it would make a difference, but I think it does. I also think some people have become so used to not seeing anything that when something does happen, they blow it off as nothing, or worse, their imagination. I can see a ghost standing in front of a person, waving their hands in this person's face, yelling and trying to get their attention and the person starts swatting at what they think is a fly LOL Talk about frustrating 😆

I also think sometimes the ability comes with age. I know people who swear they never saw anything as a child/teen yet when they are in the mid-adult lives, they suddenly come into it (whatever it is LOL).

Basically, what I'm saying is I don't have a freaking clue why some people can see and others can't. All I do know is this. If you are meant to, you will ❤
elnoraemily (guest)
+1
9 years ago (2015-01-06)
Out of the security of my friend, I will leave the name of her tiny town out.

However, if you want some awesome places to go in New Mexico. Since you are going to Missouri, I am guessing you will take 1-40? I would tell you to go about an hour out of your way and go to Madrid. Madrid is such a strange little place. White Oaks is the place I would send you if you were going down south. It's an old mining town, mostly empty. It's fascinating. It's quite a bit out of the way though. Down south is full of historical towns, but they are out of the way for a Missouri trip.

Tent Rocks is just outside of Albuquerque. It's a very strange rock formation that you can walk through for about a mile or so. It's like walking through a different planet.
It is this: https://encrypted-tbn1.gstatic.com/images?q=tbn:ANd9GcRntnDIHodH9QWA34gWrPfv_IrK9DErzZ70JSW2Lf9IHAsFX7MO

If you stay in Albuquerque, stay at Hotel Parq Central. It's an old mental hospital and sanitarium that was remodeled a few years back into a hotel. The rooms were essentially just repainted with nicer beds. It's...strange. They kept a lot of the items they found there and have lots of displays up. Multiple people I know swear it's haunted.

Here is a fun site of weird New Mexican towns: http://www.newmexico.org/nm-adventures-ghost-towns/#article87479

I live in a strange state.
mikemelda65 (2 posts)
 
9 years ago (2015-01-02)
Good story. I'll be going through New Mexico soon on my way back to Missouri. What is the name of that little town? I might snap a couple pictures of that place. New Mexico is a beautiful state.
Hecate0 (4 stories) (418 posts)
 
9 years ago (2015-01-01)
On a side but related note, I also have a window open on my computer right now watching a live webcam on the EarthCam network in Iceland which gives the opportunity to see the Aurora Borealis/Northern Lights. All that electromagnetic energy hitting the earth affects many of us in ways we do not well understand. (e.g. See movie "Frequency" - fiction but very provocative)
Hecate0 (4 stories) (418 posts)
 
9 years ago (2015-01-01)
Once we got talking about it yesterday, it has been making me think. We really do need a better kind of repository for understanding these better. I saw the movie, "Interstellar" recently. Science is really supporting multi-dimentionality more and more. And many of our abilities are related to similar types of ideas. I have been reading on quantum physics for years, trying to reconcile it with my healing abilities, and connecting with people at a distance. Speed of light?

I, too, LOVE THIS SITE, Swimsinfire.
Swimsinfire (11 stories) (556 posts)
+1
9 years ago (2015-01-01)
Love this site. Hogiers, we're danderous. LOL! It would be nice to have a community webschool. Hint hint. I also have so many questions. I discovered asral projection totally by accident, things like that and other similar ones are very confusing, and there is little information available.
Hecate0 (4 stories) (418 posts)
+2
9 years ago (2014-12-31)
We're on to something. Hogier's. Love it! I see this happening in some possible future. Happy New Year with new, positive, creative endeavors for all of us!
elnoraemily (guest)
+3
9 years ago (2014-12-31)
Hogiers!

This is a fantastic idea. This should happen.

Happy New Year, by the way!
ifihadyoux (6 stories) (607 posts)
+1
9 years ago (2014-12-31)
And furthermore being off topic, Happy New Year to you all! I only have an hour left of work [at] _ [at]
Hecate0 (4 stories) (418 posts)
+2
9 years ago (2014-12-31)
Lets open one that can combine both! With so many talented people on these sites, it would be awesome!
elnoraemily (guest)
+3
9 years ago (2014-12-31)
Now I am wondering if I would rather go to Hogwart's or Xavier's school.

Voldemort or an evil government.
Hard to pick between the two...
Hecate0 (4 stories) (418 posts)
+3
9 years ago (2014-12-31)
Kindness multiplies! I am a healer. And my mantra is always, "you get what you give". Thank you all.
ifihadyoux (6 stories) (607 posts)
 
9 years ago (2014-12-31)
I did the same because it wasn't nice so she technically has +3 instead of the +2:D
Hecate0 (4 stories) (418 posts)
 
9 years ago (2014-12-31)
Thank you! 😳 It is raining where I am in Arizona USA. That might send a crazy mood everywhere. Ha ha
I really appreciate the congeniality of this site.

I wish there really was an X-Men school. I would love to have a safe place to learn and share new abilities. We are such marvelous creatures, us humans.
elnoraemily (guest)
+1
9 years ago (2014-12-31)
I also have no idea why it was downvoted. Nothing Hecate said was in the least bit offensive. I upvoted to even it out:)

Some people are just in a mood today, I guess.

Thanks, Hecate:) I also really loved your X-men analogy.
Hecate0 (4 stories) (418 posts)
+1
9 years ago (2014-12-31)
Thanks, IfIHadYouX. I always try to be supportive here. I think these sites are such wonderful places to safely share our experiences. So many of you have such great perspectives. My intent comes from heart.
ifihadyoux (6 stories) (607 posts)
+1
9 years ago (2014-12-31)
And I don't understand why Hecate's post was down voted? She wasn't being rude or anything. 😢
Hecate0 (4 stories) (418 posts)
+3
9 years ago (2014-12-31)
It is like we are all the characters from the X-Men series and "Meditation 101" is our first class for development. I mean no disrespect to anyone. I love those movies. We all have such interesting mixes of abilities. It is why I have spent my career studying humans, to better understand all of this. My training is in mainstream Psychology. But this has only helped me understand how much we do not know yet about human abilities. I always love reading your posts, Elnora. Hecate
elnoraemily (guest)
 
9 years ago (2014-12-31)
Thanks everyone:)

I find it really interesting how everyone is suggesting meditation in order to open up the mind to perceiving what I can't.

I just read a study on meditation a few days ago, talking about how meditation actually does improve the performance of the mind just like the ancient monks said it did.

Apparently, this is something I should try. My sister swears by meditation.
buthaya (8 stories) (41 posts)
+1
9 years ago (2014-12-30)
your question is difficult one to answer. Like valkricry and Hecate0s'comments no one know why few can see them and others can't. It is true that kind of ability runs in the family. I also met people who claim they can see the ghosts and found out every one of them meditate a lot.
I did not believed in such things as ghosts because every story I heard at that time featured a drunken idiot. I was 17 when I realized I have seen ghosts as long as I can remember. Few years later I learned from my mom, her family and my dad have that ability to see them.
Meditating can improve that ability or can gain the ability to see ghosts. I used to meditate a lot. When I realized that I see more than I see them normally, I stopped it.
For a one who can not see them only imagine what we say. Some times we imagine them using movie characters. I did that. They are not what we imagine to look like. I have seen ghosts in the most secret places, according to the movies I watched impossible to be without any pain.
You are a lucky one for not been able to see because some we can just ignore but there are others that truly horrifying to see.
Hecate0 (4 stories) (418 posts)
+1
9 years ago (2014-12-30)
Hi Elnora. I usually post on the Psychic-Medium site. I have been psychic all my life, but have found meditation enhanced my abilities. So, I am agreeing with what the other people posting here have said. My experience has led me to find that psychic abilities tend to run in families. But they can also be enhanced by various types of meditations. And it is often different for different people. There are lots of on-line materials that can provide ideas, but that also can label things that then sometimes limit our thinking about our abilities. I found my sensitivities are with my hands and thoughts. So, I can feel energies and send energies with my hands, that I use for healing. And I pick up people's moods/intentions as well as events to happen in the future with my thoughts. Basic meditation, calming my mind has enhanced these. I also use healing techniques much like Reiki, but far less expensive and more broad. A good book on that is Barbara Brennan's "Hands of Light". I love your stories and comments here, as well as all of the great people on this site. People are very supportive while asking good clarifying questions. I hope some of my thoughts can add to what the others have shared. Best of luck.
Hecate
jynnantonnix (2 stories) (21 posts)
+1
9 years ago (2014-12-30)
I'm another who doesn't seem to "experience" anything supernatural. The only couple of stories I have posted here deal with physical things that have happened, and while I can't explain them, that doesn't mean there might not be a normal, humdrum reason behind them. However, one of the houses we lived in did seem to have a presence of some description because both my daughter and my cousin had the same experience in one of the bedrooms without hearing about it either from me or from each other. My daughter experienced it a number of times when she was home from college and slept there. I never did, even though I slept there quite a number of times myself (if I fell asleep reading or having bouts of insomnia & not wanting to disturb my husband, etc.)

I wonder whether people who are wired to perceive these things are more or less apt to be otherwise religious, or spiritual? I never have really been either despite a Catholic upbringing which completely failed to "stick". It does all fascinate me, though.
elnoraemily (guest)
 
9 years ago (2014-12-30)
Swimsinfire, that is actually really fascinating! My sister keeps telling me to meditate because of how much stress I hold in my already bad back.
ifihadyoux (6 stories) (607 posts)
 
9 years ago (2014-12-30)
It just doesn't want me liking any of Elnora's posts... I can like miracles 😆 😆 😆
Miracles51031 (39 stories) (4999 posts) mod
+2
9 years ago (2014-12-30)
elnora - half the time I can't vote for anyone LOL I found that if I voted for one person twice in a row, I get that same message. And then I'm in time out until I have voted for enough other members that it doesn't look as if I'm only voting for one 😉

Read previous comments

To publish a comment or vote, you need to be logged in (use the login form at the top of the page). If you don't have an account, sign up, it's free!

Search this site: