You are here: Real Ghost Stories :: Haunted Places :: Them Soldiers Is Dead/civil War

Real Ghost Stories

Them Soldiers Is Dead/civil War

 

I've written here about a few things related to family members who've died, but it was an incident about three years ago that was a watershed moment for me when it comes to believing in the paranormal. Before this incident, I rationalized that I probably just WANTED things to happen that I could say were related to my deceased family members. Even though I was open-minded about things, when they would happen my attitude was one of "OK, THAT's interesting, but we'll never really know if it's really supernatural."

And then I went for a walk at a nearby Civil War battlefield and found it IS real.

I prefer not to name the specific place, and there's a reason for that. There is very little on the internet about this area being haunted and I think that's good. I consider this to be hallowed ground and a safe place, very near my neighborhood, and I wouldn't want to attract people who don't care about the area or are just coming to stir things up or perhaps do weird ceremonies... Or who might not respect the soldiers who gave their last full measure. I'd like to recount my experiences at this place in the order that I remember; some of it might not be pertinent, but one of you might catch something I've missed.

So this battlefield is a National Park, and it's also got miles of trails to walk upon. When I was younger, I'd run the trails every so often, but for some reason, even though it has the perfect, shaded dirt paths, I never really felt good about running there. Once, at least ten years ago, while walking with some neighbor ladies, I got such an uncomfortable feeling that I told them to run... They just thought it was about exercise, I never told them it was pure anxiety and a real flight reflex (in the light of day). At that time, I'd never felt that way in my life. I'm rarely afraid.

At this park, there is a visitor center that's usually quite busy, with parking lots and sometimes re-enactments. But in a more remote part of the park there is a monument that was paid for by the people of Illinois in memory of their boys who died in one terrible battle in 1864. About 15 years ago, I wanted to take my then-boyfriend to see this monument. He was from out west and military, and I thought he would appreciate some Civil War history. After you park in the lot, you have to go down a path that's flanked by the dirt battlements, which were the positions of the southern cannon at the top of a steep hill about the length of a football field and a half. The tall monument stands at the top of this hill, and as we walked towards it the air seemed to get more humid (if that's possible here) and the surrounding woods went dead quiet. We noticed a half dozen deer gazing at us from the tree line in a strange way. I can't think of a good way to explain it. Neither of us said anything at that time, but both were surprised to discover much later that we both felt something strange.

Fast forward. My pre-teen son and I went for a walk there 3 years ago in September. It was a Tuesday, a day off school, and it was about 2pm as we approached from the downhill direction (the way the Union Army would have been approaching before the battle). The path we were on goes a little ways down to a creek, which is also the tree line where the Union troops would've been waiting and gathering. I had a new I-phone and took it out to take some photos of my son on the little bridge there. On a whim, I decided to walk up the hill with the recorder on. I had been hearing some disembodied yells as we approached the area, but I assumed it must be some kids on the path in the trees. Could this have been the subconscious reason I turned the recorder on? I don't know, I've never tried to do EVPs, though had seen it on tv. I felt a little embarrassed and I also did not want my son to see what I was doing. But I did it anyway.

We walked up the hill of the battlefield. About halfway up I asked my son if he heard the yells coming at regular intervals, maybe every two minutes. He said he did. He stood on a tree stump and waited while I huffed my way up the hill. We got to the top, took a few more photos at the monument and then went back home, only passing one older couple the entire hike.

When we got home, I listened to the tape (I still call it a tape, sorry) and definitely heard the yells. So did my husband. We also heard a sound that my military husband said "has the sound and cadence of artillery fire" which we had NOT heard in person. And finally, when we turned up the volume, we realized we really had an EVP.

When standing at the bottom of the hill, I captured a male voice saying, "There's something here I don't trust..." with a female laugh. At the point I asked my son if he heard the yells, on the tape you can hear a VERY deep voice say "hear" and then, before my son answers, a young boy's voice, very close to me, can be heard saying, "them soldiers is dead." A minute later the same voice says, "what's that?" and I remember standing there and holding my phone out in front of me.

As I told my husband, I could not have come up with that line "them soldiers is dead" if my life depended on it. I'm particular about grammar.

The boy in the recording sounds younger than my son. And closer to me than he was.

I was amazed. Then I didn't listen to it for a long time. What can you do with it? Then the kids went to camp -- months later -- and my husband and I went out to dinner near the battlefield and had a glass of wine and discussed it again. We decided to stop by, nearing dusk on that summer evening. There were quite a few people at the monument. As we sat on a bench at the top of the battlefield, I thought I felt something touch the back of my hair and reached up to swat something away. Only later, thinking about it, I realized it was not a bug, or anything else I could think of. It was like my hair flipping. Then we walked to the bottom of the hill to the tree line. Husband mentioned that it smelled just like the wet canvas of old fashioned military tents. "You never forget that smell," my skeptic said, and I just answered, "Well, I don't see any wet canvas in these woods, do you?" He walked up the hill ahead of me, back to the parking lot, while I took my time trying to feel anything. I finally started up, somewhat disappointed that everything seemed normal. But as I walked up I got so winded... By the time I crested the hill, where the most men had died and been burned, I felt like I'd run a marathon, could barely catch my breath and had to stop and lean on a fence a minute before making it to the car. At that moment I thought, WOW am I getting old and out of shape. But just a few weeks later, my son and I went to take photos for a school project and I walked up without even being winded, like it was NOTHING. That's when I realized my previous experience, getting winded on that hill, was more about anxiety and perhaps what those soldiers were feeling as they ran up that forlorn hope to their deaths.

I drive by this place all the time, but have not been back since my son needed the photos, over a year ago. I'm a little afraid to go back, even though I'm truly enamored by the place and tons of people walk there every day, and pay tribute to the fallen troops. I found this website when I was looking for anyone else who had an experience there.

One more quick thing: I sent my EVP to a local Civil War historian with my thoughts. He e-mailed back that he couldn't hear a thing. I really don't believe him. I believe he heard it, but won't admit it. He did tell me, however, that the battle that took place killing more than 3,000 men in an hour on that hill happened after the Union troops had been mired in our area with daily rainstorms that kept them and their equipment soaked for more than a month. Wet canvas. That bit of information was something. Would love to hear your thoughts.

Hauntings with similar titles

Find ghost hunters and paranormal investigators from Georgia

Comments about this paranormal experience

The following comments are submitted by users of this site and are not official positions by yourghoststories.com. Please read our guidelines and the previous posts before posting. The author, MrsRamsay, has the following expectation about your feedback: I will read the comments and participate in the discussion.

MrsRamsay (guest)
+2
3 years ago (2021-06-29)
Gingerbug, thanks for your thoughtful comments. It's good to get a sort of unbiased point of view.

To clarify, my family makes fun of me in only the kindest of ways. They basically know I'm right, but they're not comfortable with the subject. I'd like to NOT have these experiences, but they just piled up over the years to the point I could not ignore them. Take care!
gingerbug (5 stories) (15 posts)
+2
3 years ago (2021-06-28)
This was sort of exactly what I hoped to read after finding out about your interest in history:) Thank you!

I am a very compassionate person but I also have that slightly psychopathic side to myself where I find information curious and appealing even if it makes me sad and grieved.

I was happy to read that you were joined in your adventures by your boyfriend and that he even added his meaningful input.

I am certain your family means well even if they are teasing you (probably to keep you to themselves because the spiritual world has its strong appeal, it can 'steal you away').

But sometimes it can get lonely when you are involved in these often aggravating (and somewhat isolating) experiences all by your lonesome.

The wet tent bit was riveting as the information unfolded later after the incident.

You probably appreciate it as well, having been a journalist.

How the world keeps stitching the pieces of narrative up as you go until an entire story is revealed to you and then you must be clever to know whether you invented the patchwork if it is real.

I hope that the people who died in that battle are aware that they actually contributed to great changes and the world has been a better place because of that.

I do not even live in the USA but the Civil War has certainly affected my liberties.

Sometimes I think we should add to our memorial services some form of political and social reports where we explain to our deceased and their progeny why what they achieved was important (specifically and factually) :)

Generally, I feel like you are a person who bumps into 'left-behind' physical manifestations of spiritual experiences.

I think that the deceased often leave these things behind, unprocessed, and they linger.

For example, a soldier in battle frenzy or exhaustion won't really be aware of wet tent stench or muddy trails or how it feels inside of his own body to be running into the fight.

And as they leave, I happen to believe they 'abandon' these experiences behind along with their bodies for us to pick up.

Be it how it may, thank you for the story.
MrsRamsay (guest)
 
3 years ago (2021-06-20)
Hi In the Night, I happened to see your comment today even though I wasn't really looking for it.

Yes, you're right about the phrase used. The voice itself is a young boy's voice, unmistakeable, and I get the feeling when listening to the recording that he's talking to me but somewhere else in the recording he's also talking to others, but we just can't make it out.

Apparently at the time of the battle, the population west of the battlefield was quite scarce, just a few families spread around with homes miles away from each other. Today it's a very dense suburb of Atlanta, middle class, with subdivisions. Yet not quite as dense as the eastern part of the county. I've tried looking at old maps and know basically where the homesteads are and have tried to locate them in relation to modern landmarks, thinking I would one day write an article for my local paper. Since the battle there at the Dead Angle happened and Sherman's army would go on after that to occupy Marietta, I think most of the civilians in the town were fleeing the opposite direction and would not have witnessed the carnage at the battlefield. But it's occurred to me that in an attempt to clean up the battlefield and bury the bodies, the soldiers might have tried to hire locals to assist. I don't know... It's possible I can find some books on it at the local library, as there's not as much on the internet as you would expect. That Primary Source history is difficult to find. Thanks for reading. It reminds me that the anniversary of the battle is upcoming. And we've just had the same kind of two day rains that the soldiers experienced, with the sun coming out and MAN it's HOT out there. Sticky, humid, like a sauna. I cannot imagine marching through this stuff let alone fighting a horrible battle. And sacrificing for a purpose that is being denied in today's political climate. How sad.
InTheNight (2 stories) (34 posts)
+1
3 years ago (2021-06-19)
The "them soldiers" line reminds me of the way southeners speak in fiction. The "is dead" part is grammatically weird, but "them X" is an expression i've read often. Maybe the voice was a confederate.
Lealeigh (5 stories) (512 posts)
+3
4 years ago (2019-12-17)
MrsRamsay,

I have read much about the Battle of Antietem; most of it has been from the perspective of overview. I will definitely make use of your recommendation and read that book! I will let you know what I think.

Thank you very much!

- Maria
MrsRamsay (guest)
+6
4 years ago (2019-12-17)
Laleigh/Maria, if you are interested in the Civil War and the daily concerns of people who lived through it, there's a pretty good book you might be interested in. It's called, "Too Afraid To Cry, Maryland Civilians in the Antietam Campaign" by Kathleen Ernst. I'm not connected to this book in any way, but found it while researching my ancestry (some of mine were the founders of the old Dunker Church that stands very near or on the Antietam battlefield). The great thing about this book (which is a quick but memorable read) is that it's written about the people who lived through the battle, the farmers and townspeople just trying to survive while these two, huge armies moved through as well as the horrendous aftermath, which we rarely hear about. While there's just enough about the battles that you can understand what happened, it's really all about the people, very well researched, and shows a different side of history (which is usually all from the generals' perspectives or even the soldiers). Recommend it highly!
Maelstrom (23 posts)
+4
4 years ago (2019-12-14)
I haven't been to said park in many years. Well before I started dabbling into the paranormal. Methinks I will be visiting soon being that I might be moving in the near future. Thank you for the story MrsRamsay.
Caz (342 posts)
+3
4 years ago (2019-12-10)
Thank you Mrs.Ramsay. Very kind of you to say so! As far as military quarters are concerned, I suppose they're much like any home. Some may be haunted, but most are not. My sister stayed in many over the years, but that was the only one where she had an 'uninvited guest'! The only other incident she had, was when she was watching tv with her son during the daytime, when a bright ball of light flew out from under the tv stand, turned sharp left and flew straight through the closed window, never to be seen again. They both saw it!
Lealeigh (5 stories) (512 posts)
+4
4 years ago (2019-12-10)
Mahanglin,

You have inherited a treasure! I am very jealous. 😊
I would count myself very privileged to be able to read about the every day concerns that people had even though they were living through such hectic times. The cares and natures of people are largely the same, no matter what what era.

From another angle, I would enjoy seeing the differences in patterns of speech/writing and peculiarities in vocabulary.

- Maria
MrsRamsay (guest)
+6
4 years ago (2019-12-10)
Mahanglin, Wow, you are so fortunate! To have primary sources such as that would be a dream for me (I'm just a writer and historian and value such things perhaps a little more than many people). Add to that... What you say... And yeah, how amazing. I felt the same way about ten years ago when I inherited my second great grandfather's family Bible (that I never knew existed). One night, late, I sat on my bed and went through this huge, old Bible which my grandfather Elijah (had never heard of him before) bought in 1849. It listed births and deaths (he had twin daughters in 1860, one of whom died at birth) and handwritten notes about others in the family. It was absolutely haunting for me to sit there and read about people I never knew or imagined... Little did I know it started me on a big time journey into my family ancestry that's become a wonderful hobby for me.

Caz, the story about your sister and how you moved in with her is sort of amazing too. My younger brother moved in with me and my husband while husband was in flight school years ago. It was a REALLY fun time. We lived in these beautiful old quarters in Pensacola (yes, just a block from that shooting that happened last week)... The quarters didn't seem haunted at all, but I heard other quarters there are haunted. But I digress. Glad your brother in law made it back safely!
Mahanglin (2 posts)
+5
4 years ago (2019-12-10)
I recently inherited around 200 hand-written letters from the Civil War, from both sides. My wife and I have been reading them for months, and I'll just say that we get some very eerie feelings sometimes while doing so. Temperature drops in the room and just a feeling of being watched. Very interesting.
Caz (342 posts)
+3
4 years ago (2019-12-10)
Mr Bond,
I'd hate to fall out with you, as you seem like an ok kind of guy, but the thing is, if you do some research, you may find that some governments do or have 'dabbled' in the past and I doubt it's for the good of the population, living or otherwise, which is why I was a bit horrified at your suggestion! However, now that you've explained it was rather 'tongue in cheek', I hope we can at least co-exist on reasonable terms!
😉
Caz (342 posts)
+4
4 years ago (2019-12-10)
Mrs.Ramsey,
I was very pleased to read your comment shortly after you posted it last week. I was the first to vote you up, but I never had the time to respond until now. Your brother sounds like a very kind, caring person. I'm sure there are others like him helping the homeless in my country, but I don't know if they're government funded, charities, or just good people. I agree wholeheartedly that countries do need a standing army, as how else could we defend ourselves if need be!
Several members of my family were military too and my sister like you, was a military wife. She loved the life and the opportunity to live in different countries, where she made many friends amongst the locals, as well as the other wives. She loved to learn about the different cultures, traditions and foods. The only time it wasn't so good, was when the men were sent on unaccompanied postings, but the wives stuck together and supported each other.
However, there was one time when they'd come back on leave after some time abroad and were staying in our family home, when her husband was then posted into a seriously dangerous battle situation. My sister applied for quarters, only to find the nearest available was quite a long distance from our home town. She had a baby at the time and I didn't want her to be alone, so I moved with her and I'm so glad I did. The quarters was in a fairly isolated rural area, with only two other families (military) within hailing distance and to top it all, our quarters were haunted. We were pretty terrified at first when we heard the babies toys being moved around in the night, but eventually came to the conclusion that the spirit was a small child that never bothered us otherwise. We later had that verified and decided we could live with it, so we made sure there were always toys available. There were other things to worry about anyway! My sister was afraid to watch the news every day, as it was never good, but she felt she must, so she did anyway! I was just a teenager at the time, but I saw the terrible toll it took on her. She became very ill due to stress and that was a great worry. I've never forgotten it.
It must've been nigh on a year before her husband returned safe and sound, at least for the most part. Much luckier than many. I learnt a lot during that period of my life, which is why I'm so against wars.
PS...The other thing I'll always remember from that time, is having my first paranormal experience! 😉
jabond99 (3 stories) (61 posts)
+4
4 years ago (2019-12-05)
Mrs Ramsay,
Your dedication to military and veterans is noted in just about each story and posting you write. Thank you and bless you for that.

Caz,
Now, politics aside, my comment on the government helping souls of departed soldiers move on was made partially tongue-in-cheek. Only partly. Because the magnitude of potentially lost souls is very large given the amount of battles, battlefields and traumatic deaths. Whether one agrees to whether these battles should have been fought is perhaps a conversation for a different website!

James Bond
MrsRamsay (guest)
+3
4 years ago (2019-12-05)
Not trying to be political on this website, but I thought I would add my two cents as a military daughter and wife (about homeless vets). First, we do have to have a standing army, they are what keep us free. And not all are combat vets, either, so not all have gone to war, but we still, in my opinion, owe them thanks. The other thing: my brother, also a veteran, works for the Veteran's Administration and he's on one of their task forces that goes out and finds homeless vets and tries to bring them in, find them good housing, clothes them and helps them get all kinds of social services, including applying for the benefits they are entitled to. These task forces do great work and are completely funded through our tax dollars. I just want to assure you all that if there are homeless veterans on the streets, it's quite likely they have not applied for help, either because they don't want to or don't know how (even though they are told before they leave active service). Homelessness among veterans has been a problem, but it is being addressed. Sometimes, just as in the civilian homeless population, certain souls just cannot be helped. It's an issue close to my own heart. Thanks for allowing me to say this!
Caz (342 posts)
+4
4 years ago (2019-12-05)
Jabond99
Hello Mr. Bond,
Your idea is an interesting one, but wouldn't it be better if you could persuade your government to build homes for all the 'living' veterans who are sleeping rough on your streets? I'm sure there are many, just as there are here. Or perhaps it would be better still if the governments would stop sending these young men and women to war, then there would be no veterans. Have you thought of praying for the lost souls? I'm a great believer in the power of prayer and I think that would definately help, plus you might feel building those homes is a better way of spending your tax dollars. Just my thoughts though!

PS...You should know, there are no such thing as conspiracy 'theories'!
Cherubim (14 stories) (245 posts)
+3
4 years ago (2019-12-03)
Sure sounds like a hot spot for paranormal activity to me! 😳 I have no doubt what you experienced was just that. That's amazing that you captured disembodied voices on your recorder! I would like to try that some time too. Great story, ❤ thank you for sharing it.
silverthane61 (4 stories) (344 posts)
+3
4 years ago (2019-12-02)
Being a once ago long-time resident of Northern Georgia, I am very familiar with the specific park that you mentioned and will not name it out of respect for your wishes. Yes, I have been there, I gave a tour of the place on 2 separate occasions. Once for a group of visiting priests from Poland, and once for a group of officers stationed at Fort Benning. I have been all over this battlefield and concur with the nature of the place. Many of the regular visitors do have either audial or visual ghostly events - most of them are residual. Some also claim to smell gunpowder! It is also a very scenic and very well maintained park.
aussiedaz (19 stories) (1565 posts)
+6
4 years ago (2019-11-30)
Albert Einstein once quoted there is no such thing as time only motion every thing in the past, present and future are simultaneously concurrent and he was right.

I make this analogy, imagine a train with 80 carriages each single carriage representing one year in that persons life. Inside each carriage there are 52 rows of seats representing every week. Imagine that person existing in every row and carriage of the train as it runs it's coarse via motion with consciousness being the fundamental source of creation and the presence of free will be the catalyst of what happens in each carriage at any given time?

These battle fields from century's gone by are still there and like everything else through the power of the source (consciousness) they can be accessed for viewing by any spiritual being capable enough of tuning their energy into the heat of that moment.

After death we can relive our own creation of existence for what ever reason we want. I believe your account is two fold... Yes one of which is residual but the other is most likely interaction with other spiritual beings who for what ever reason went back to observe that moment in history of which played a very significant part of their final moments in their earth vessels.

Thank you for sharing Mrs Ramsey

Regards Daz
MrsRamsay (guest)
+3
4 years ago (2019-11-30)
Hi All! It's a treat to see my story today, hope you all had a great Thanksgiving! First to answer, then to tell you about my walk there with my California family a few days ago...

Maria, in my research about the spot, I learned that the battle started fires on the hill (sort of surprising in light of the fact that there had been rains every day for a month, but that must reflect just how much war-fire there was on that fateful morning). I learned that there were brush fires, which swept over some of the wounded men, a HORRID thing as we all know, but one of the characteristics of this particular battle. After some days in the heat (and there was something of a stalemate at one point), the commanders actually stopped active fighting to recover some of the bodies for burial and to try and stop the stench, maybe even some of the wounded, who were also burned and had been laying there, unable to move up or down the hill, pinned down by hostile fire. We can't even imagine the brutality, I'm certain. Anyway, sorry, my initial story may have misled a bit... I didn't know ANY of this when I first walked there, and it's taken me three years to do the research.

I do still have the EVP recording and had shared it with the historian. It's not a clean recording, since I didn't really know what I was doing. You can hear me walking, talking to the dogs, the dogs panting and me talking to my son. Sometimes I can hear two other voices besides the one I mentioned. At one point, I had stopped briefly so the dog could sniff at the edge of the brush and a very deep voice says, "Dog." I can only hear it sometimes when I listen to the EVP (not sure why). The other day, I took my sister in law over there for a walk and right in front of that place, just in front of us, there was a small whirlwind on the path with leaves on an otherwise completely calm day. I noticed, and said to my sister in law, "Did you see that?" We'd been talking about my experience there... She said she did and agreed it was "something different." The spot it happened was significant to me, because of the "dog" voice on the EVP. There is one additional voice I didn't mention in my story... As I say to my son, "Do you hear those yells?" a VERY deep voice says, "hear." It's as if they/it/he perks up when they fathom you might be aware of them (that's my theory). I also believe some sounds are residual and some are reactive, Caz. James Bond, your idea is intriguing and might make for a good movie, however, I'd settle for the U.S. Government taking better care of the live veterans FIRST! (with our taxpayer money) Your comment reminded me that I went into the visitor's center one day and outright asked the rangers on duty if they'd heard ghost stories from visitors before. They would admit to NOTHING. It was like Sgt. Schultz on "Hogan's Heroes." I attribute that to them being protective of the battlefield. Because it's such a well-used park, many people in the area are cognizant of the importance of the preservation and protection from too many visitors, so that makes sense. I suspect they hear things all the time though. My walk there a couple days ago was uneventful except for the small whirlwind. It was a beautiful day with many walkers. The minute I exited our truck into the parking lot I had goosebumps over my entire body, which lasted five or more minutes, but that was the extent of our visit, except for a nice walk in nature.
One more quick thing, no pun intended. The deep male voices come so FAST after I say the words. I wonder if there is a time thing that happens also in whatever other dimension... As in, they are moving really fast, which is why we hear things said so quickly on EVPs (or at least that's my observation). Sound too weird? Has anyone heard of moving fast? (Maybe I've seen too many movies)
Caz (342 posts)
+3
4 years ago (2019-11-30)
Thank you Lealeigh. You're very kind! I enjoyed your comment and Lady-Glow's too, but unfortunately, I'm not allowed to vote either of you up right now! 🙄
jabond99 (3 stories) (61 posts)
+3
4 years ago (2019-11-29)
Mrs Ramsay,

I completely understand your wish not to name the place. It is hallowed ground and it makes a very good story for Veteran's Day. I'm sure you probably had veterans in mind when you posted it. Thank you for your continual well wishes for those that served.

Now, I'm going to post something here that may be a bit off the wall. It seems that battlefields are prime locations where spirits to continue to dwell. At the same time, I always hear those somewhat conspiracy theories that says the government dabbles in the paranormal. I would say that here may be one area where I would welcome that government dabbling. I propose that the government (perhaps under the Veterans Administration) set up an agency to assist the spirits of those veterans that may still be lingering around battlefields. Wouldn't that be great if the government that sent those soldiers into battle would serve them by assisting them to move on after their deaths?

That would be a worthwhile use of my taxes.

James Bond
Lealeigh (5 stories) (512 posts)
+1
4 years ago (2019-11-29)
Caz,

That's an interesting idea! That didn't occur to me; that the boy had never seen a recording device before!

Good eye!

- Maria ❤
Caz (342 posts)
+2
4 years ago (2019-11-29)
Hi Mrs.Ramsay,
Very interesting story! I'm not an expert, but I do believe the yells and gunfire are definately residual, but not the boy! Sounds like he is sentient and was just informing you that "Them soldiers is dead!" I also think when he asked you "What's that?" He was possibly referring to your recording device, which he may have never seen the likes of before. That's just my thoughts though!
lady-glow (16 stories) (3149 posts)
+7
4 years ago (2019-11-28)
What a fascinating experience!

MrsRamsay - I'm not sure if this was a residual haunting or if those ghosts were actually aware of your presence and interacting with you, specially the boy asking "what's that?" and whatever/whoever moved your hair, almost like saying "I know you know I'm here".
- I hope my grammar is good!

I join my voice to Lealeigh's question: do you still have the EVP recording?

Thanks for sharing.
Lealeigh (5 stories) (512 posts)
+6
4 years ago (2019-11-28)
Hello MrsRamsay and Happy Thanksgiving ❤

I know the place you are talking about. I have been there a couple of times.

It has been a long time and I was about ten years old so I'm not sure if I remember all of my details correctly. Are you sure that that they burned the bodies of fallen soldiers? I thought the usual procedure was a kind of mass grave if they couldn't be individually buried. I realize that it might be possible that they were partially cremated and then buried in a mass grave for the sake of space. 😢

I am probably just sensitive on this point because when my aunt died recently, her mother and sister had her remains cremated. She had wanted to be buried in the Veteran's Cemetery in Atlanta. They had her cremated because it was less expensive. I haven't spoken to them since.

I really enjoyed your story. I am putting it into my favorites. I consider myself to be a very amateur Civil War Historian. There's a heck of a lot to know. I'll probably be much older before I actually know much. 😜

Do you still have the EVP recording?

I hope you and your family enjoy Thanksgiving! I have been starving all day long in preparation!

- Maria ❤

To publish a comment or vote, you need to be logged in (use the login form at the top of the page). If you don't have an account, sign up, it's free!

Search this site: