You are here: Real Ghost Stories :: Haunted Places :: Haunted On 27th Street

Real Ghost Stories

Haunted On 27th Street

 

This is my first submission on YGS, but me and my husband love reading everyone's accounts on this site. We are avid paranormal enthusiasts and have a TON of experiences ourselves. I've had a few hauntings myself and my husband has had quite a few. This first one I am relaying happened to me when I was 9.

I lived with my mom and my grandparents on 27th and Harrison Blvd in a beautiful older house that my grandfather inherited. It was a huge house, the front room, my bedroom and the basement seemed to be the most active.

Anyways, it was a mild August night and I had just went to bed at 10:00 pm. I got into my single sized bed and proceeded to fall asleep. Suddenly, I heard footsteps lightly walking on my floor which was hardwood, but had a huge rug covering it. The footsteps seemed to come through the door, take at least 7 steps on the hard wood, then stop, just for a minute, then proceeded to walk on the rug and stop right in front of my feet. This made me nervous, so I put my blanket over my head. After a few minutes of trying to calm down, I heard no more waking, so I looked up from my blanket and looked over towards my door, which was shut, and looked at my hurricane style lamp I had on my dresser. It had the kind of switch you had to push where one side would go in to turn it on, and you had to push really hard to get it to come on.

I was staring at my lamp when all of a sudden, I heard "somebody" switch the light off (it was on because I was very afraid of the dark). There was nobody in there with me that I could see, so whoever it was had enough spiritual strength to turn it off... I heard it click and my room was in total darkness... It scared me so bad that I screamed bloody murder! My grandfather came in a few minutes later and tried to calm me down. I proceeded to tell him what happened and he thought that it was strange.

Next thing I know, my nana (grandmother) comes in and tell me that I screamed so loud that the neighbors called to tell them that they could hear me and asked if everything was okay... She told them that I must've just had a bad dream or something and, of course, I knew that they really didn't want to hear that a ghost turned my light off.

So, eventually, I was calm enough to go to sleep, and my grandfather just told me that it was impossible for the lamp to click off by itself, being an antique type of lamp and asked if I turned it off, which I told him I didn't. That baffled him a little. But he was able to leave me alone, so I tried really hard to forget what just happened. This house was very haunted and I heard and felt things there that even my mother and nana felt and witnessed too.

I will try to post more stories as soon as I can!

Thank you for reading!

Twisterwatcher7

Other hauntings by twisterwatcher7

Hauntings with similar titles

Find ghost hunters and paranormal investigators from Utah

Comments about this paranormal experience

The following comments are submitted by users of this site and are not official positions by yourghoststories.com. Please read our guidelines and the previous posts before posting. The author, twisterwatcher7, has the following expectation about your feedback: I will read the comments and participate in the discussion.

phenonw (1 stories) (32 posts)
 
9 years ago (2015-01-28)
I have a ghost in my house, Carl, he likes to turn lights on & off as well as turning faucets on & off. LOL'
He started doing these things when I was 5 or 6 years old. But I started seeing spirits when I was even younger so he didn't bother me.
Swimsinfire (11 stories) (556 posts)
 
9 years ago (2015-01-07)
Very cool story. Why do these guys like messing with lights so much? We had one like that too. Can't wait to hear your other stories. Welcome to YGS.
Simie (4 stories) (14 posts)
 
9 years ago (2015-01-07)
Dear twisterwatcher7,
Usually the spirits in our houses are not harmful since they are relations or friends who died. But if the spirits are not related we can't assure them. Maybe one of your relation wanted to scare you a little bit.
twisterwatcher7 (4 stories) (10 posts)
 
9 years ago (2015-01-06)
PS. Thank you for your comments! I really appreciate it...:))
twisterwatcher7 (4 stories) (10 posts)
 
9 years ago (2015-01-06)
Yeah, this lamp was a double light lamp, I think it was made in the early 1900s... I really thought that the ghost wanted to scare the daylights out of me! Looking back on it, I kind of wonder if it was a familiar spirit?:))
Wish-Not (16 stories) (534 posts)
 
9 years ago (2015-01-06)
twisterwatcher7- Oh those button pushers. They have a long time passion of pushing buttons. We currently have one that just delights in pushing. Especially anything new.

One could only imagine what that experience would have been like for a 9 year old.

Welcome to YGS, thanks for sharing and looking forward to more from the two of you.
elnoraemily (guest)
 
9 years ago (2015-01-06)
I have had lights turn themselves off before- typically flip switches that are not completely flipped or the older style twist knobs (think hotel wall lights) if not twisted far enough. However, the sort of switch you are describing is harder to mess up, typically, because it usually has to be all the way down or all the way up to even work.

I wonder if maybe what you heard was just curious and turned off the light out of curiousity? What did you feel while this was happening?

To publish a comment or vote, you need to be logged in (use the login form at the top of the page). If you don't have an account, sign up, it's free!

Search this site: