You are here: Real Ghost Stories :: Psychic / Medium :: When She Proved Me Wrong

Real Ghost Stories

When She Proved Me Wrong

 

I kept saying I would write this multiple times. This story involves the same girl from Frantic Energy and Can I Just Not See Them (I had mentioned before that she had proven me wrong and this is it).

She has been a friend of mine for years now and has always been very vocal about her beliefs in the paranormal and her ability to "read" people. Being the little skeptic that I am, I challenged her to figure out what I was concentrating on.

I saw it mainly as a game. I pictured a fish tank- one from my childhood that I used to watch before going to sleep every night. I cannot think of a time that I ever told her I had a few fish growing up. We only had them when I was little and I was not very attached to them.

I asked her what she thought I was thinking about and her instant response was: "Water".

Thinking that was fairly vague and a fairly easy guess, I asked her for more details. She went on to explain that she saw a fish tank and a gold fish in a yellow room. Yes, of course, my room as a child was bright yellow (I had a minor obsession with that color when I was younger, though I don't think I own a single yellow thing anymore).

The specifics of it were pretty convincing, obviously.

I pictured something again, without giving her any hints. This time I chose my swing set as a child (one of the ones with the slide and the covered area you could climb up to). It was set in our backyard, which was over an acre large. After a few moments, she began to describe a park with swings and a slide.

I gave up after that, mostly because I was slightly freaked out by the fact that her guesses were quite accurate to what I was picturing at that point in time. I am familiar with a lot of techniques that are used by the famous psychics, such as cold reading and fishing, but she was asking no questions and I was not speaking other than to ask her for details.

I am still a skeptic on a lot of people who claim to have insights into others. Emphatic abilities I have a much easier time believing, but I have met many people who claim to have some sort of psychic ability and simply don't (I have a friend who claimed to be psychic and would do palm readings at school, who once told me that I fell off the stage during a ballet recital during my childhood when I have never taken a single dance class nor was I ever on stage until late into high school thanks to crippling anxiety).

I am just not really a skeptic about her anymore. While sometimes I do require proof of things she has said, it's not an instant denial like it is with a lot of people

Hauntings with similar titles

Comments about this paranormal experience

The following comments are submitted by users of this site and are not official positions by yourghoststories.com. Please read our guidelines and the previous posts before posting. The author, elnoraemily, has the following expectation about your feedback: I will read the comments and participate in the discussion.

Miracles51031 (39 stories) (4999 posts) mod
+1
9 years ago (2015-04-09)
elnora - yes, a lot of new members. Seems like we get an onslaught sometimes 😆 😉
elnoraemily (guest)
+2
9 years ago (2015-04-09)
BJJ! <3

All is well.

Luckily, the actual ceremony will only be about 10 minutes long:P "Do you like him?" "Yes, yes, I do." "Do you like her?" "Yes, I do." "Awesome. Go have fun and eat cake.":P

Now, as long as it does not rain...
BadJuuJuu (guest)
+1
9 years ago (2015-04-09)
So good to see you back! Hope the wedding goes smoothly (they never really do, but...) and that all is well, if busy lol. 😊
elnoraemily (guest)
 
9 years ago (2015-04-09)
It really does! What did I miss?

I was so used to being caught up on everything and I just looked at all the news stories and sighed a bit. And so many names I don't recognize.
Miracles51031 (39 stories) (4999 posts) mod
+2
9 years ago (2015-04-09)
elnora - so glad to see you back 😊 Life has a way of getting in the way of YGS, doesn't it? LOL
elnoraemily (guest)
+1
9 years ago (2015-04-09)
Hello, hello.

I am alive! Sorry, been quite busy and chaotic lately. Been ill, working on the wedding (which is now eleven weeks away!) and working my butt off at my job. But I am here!

And I miss you all!
Wish-Not (16 stories) (534 posts)
+1
9 years ago (2015-04-02)
elnora- Just happen to be in the area, thought I would stop by to see how you are doing. Been missing your sensibility. Hope all is well. Peace out 😉
ifihadyoux (6 stories) (607 posts)
+1
9 years ago (2015-03-20)
I third that. Was just thinking about her a few days ago. Hope all is well.
notjustme (19 stories) (852 posts)
+1
9 years ago (2015-03-20)
I second what Wish-Not said, for I haven't "seen" you around lately girliepants... Where have you been haunting? 😉 😊
Wish-Not (16 stories) (534 posts)
+3
9 years ago (2015-03-20)
elnora- Hope all is well with you and are enjoying some spring weather where you are at 😊 😁
elnoraemily (guest)
+1
9 years ago (2015-01-16)
I have heard of a few agencies that use psychics for cold cases and to find bodies. I would not blame them for thinking of them as suspects if they got it right, though. It does look really bad and there are so many crazies in the world.
valkricry (48 stories) (3257 posts) mod
+2
9 years ago (2015-01-15)
For what it's worth, the few agencies that I have known to use psychics, it's usually been a case of someone who knows of someone, rather than someone just volunteering 'I had a vision'. *shrug*
ifihadyoux (6 stories) (607 posts)
 
9 years ago (2015-01-15)
Oh I completely agree with you Miracles and I know that happens most frequently, which it should. However the offices that do call upon them for help usually are baffled when they turned out to be correct on things, such as missing persons cases and where bodies were hidden, etc.
babygoatpuller (4 stories) (432 posts)
+2
9 years ago (2015-01-15)
I was thinking that to Miracles. I don't know what she'd do with any info if she did pick up on something or how she'd go about getting it out there.

And of course, if she acted upon it on her own, she'd become a prime suspect!

Never mind elnora. If she did that, picked up on something and couldn't do anything about it, she'd probably feel awful. Bad idea.
Miracles51031 (39 stories) (4999 posts) mod
 
9 years ago (2015-01-15)
babygoatpuller and ifi - coming from a family with a law enforcement member, and living in a small town at that, sometimes law enforcement isn't that eager to listen after someone says, "I saw" or "I had a...". From experience, they automatically discount anything said after that.

I don't mean to insinuate all law enforcement agencies are like that because I know they aren't. It's just few and far between to find someone who will accept help/information from someone who is gifted.
babygoatpuller (4 stories) (432 posts)
+1
9 years ago (2015-01-15)
She sounds very gifted elnora and good on you for your skepticism. I'm kind of with ifi on this one and in that maybe she could be a help to law enforcement. I'm going to go out on a limb here and make a suggestion if I may.

When a child goes missing around here, or an adult that's goes missing under suspicious circumstances, the Amber alert goes out. My phone will beep at me, (very loud and scares the poop out of me) and I check to see why and see that it's an Amber alert. If you have anything like that happen in your area, maybe you could contact her and ask if she can pick up on anything.

But like ifi said, she may not want to and that's fine to.
elnoraemily (guest)
 
9 years ago (2015-01-15)
I've always worn the crystals that she tells me to wear:P Not entirely sure if they work or if I just placebo myself, but if I am anxious and need it to stop, it seems to stop.
rookdygin (24 stories) (4458 posts)
+2
9 years ago (2015-01-15)
Thanks for the cut and paste.

Crystals seem to work because of the way they are formed and being a part of natural they are able to channel natural energies based on the frequency of each type... So rubies can channel certain energies or emotions while pure quartz channels another (hope that makes sense). I found they work for me as well. I to live in a relatively small town, I also channel the extra energy or emotions into writing. Its how I cope.

I have also descovered that I can sometimes pickup on peoples hidden emotions over the phone or in things they have written. Not all the time, but often enough to know its actually happening.

Respectfully,

Rook
notjustme (19 stories) (852 posts)
+1
9 years ago (2015-01-14)
HAHA thanks Val for the enthusiasm for our stories. I too felt "wow, looks like we choose the same time to submit something."...law of attraction anyone? 😊
elnoraemily (guest)
+1
9 years ago (2015-01-14)
Rook, I know that she does meditation type stuff (so specific, I know) with crystals and that she wears them so that they absorb some of the extra (I am no expert on that and have no idea how that works, even though I wear various crystals).

She does have an aversion to large public places a lot of the time. She moved to a very small, quiet town with only a few dozen people in it. I think one of the major downsides is that she picks damaged people to be with because she thinks she can fix what they feel (which non-empaths and such do to, of course).
elnoraemily (guest)
+1
9 years ago (2015-01-14)
I found your missed comment, Rook!

For anyone's benefit who wants to read it:
"Elnora,

I understand what you mean about needing an open mind when it comes to psychics... I had a friend in High School once challenge me to a 'contest' he did not believe I was an Empath... And claimed he was, he also said he could get 'Inside' anyones head no matter what precautions they had taken. Well... He asked me to sit down and he would prove it... After 10 minutes of him attempting to get inside my head I let my defences down... As I focused on the theme song from the Smurfs.

He instantly started laughing and hummed the song on and off for the next 3 days so I know he had at least tuned into my head... But his gift was only with living people he could not feel, hear or see spirits. Thanks for sharing and for keeping an open mind.

Respectfully,

Rook"

He sounds quite a bit like my friend:D
rookdygin (24 stories) (4458 posts)
+1
9 years ago (2015-01-13)
Val,

Speaking as an Empath all I can say is 'You got that right'. I am still working on shielding myself... Large crowds are the worst... Everyone in the crowd having different emotions, different levels of emotion and all of that hitting me from all sides. It is so much easier to shield myself, and keep it up, when its one on one... Or even a resturant full of people (as long as its not super busy).

I have found grounding myself helps... A walk in the rain visualizing the excess emotions being washed off or walking barefoot in the grass and letting them go through my feet into the ground... These things help.

Anyway...we now resume our normal comments already in progress...

Respectfully,

Rook
valkricry (48 stories) (3257 posts) mod
+1
9 years ago (2015-01-13)
Well...sometimes empaths have a hard time sorting their own emotions from others. Of course, I can't speak for your friend, but sometimes this particular type of gift can be like being bombarded; some see in 'flashes', for some it's like video (sometimes with sound, sometimes not) some 'see' in stills, and whatever you're seeing can often feel like you're experiencing it first hand. So she, quite literally, may not understand the 'why' she feels a certain way, because she didn't get a visual with it, just an emotion. On the other hand it could be a case of 'can't see the forest for the trees'. Just too close to aptly sort it out for herself. I know several, oh so NOT psychic, people who fall into that category. Lol
elnoraemily (guest)
+1
9 years ago (2015-01-13)
Haha, I was quite happy when Notjustme and Wish-Not had stories up:D I felt spoiled.
elnoraemily (guest)
 
9 years ago (2015-01-13)
She is very helpful when someone is upset or needs help (on the flipside though, she is horrible at helping herself or understand her own emotions, but is so good at others). She also always managed to contact me whenever I am thinking of her, which is probably one of those weird coincidences, but it does make me giggle.
valkricry (48 stories) (3257 posts) mod
+3
9 years ago (2015-01-13)
Wow, must be my lucky day - stories from both you and Notjust! 😁

I think that some skepticism is healthy otherwise you'd believe any thing and everything (a target for every con known to man). As long as you keep in mind, that sometimes life demands a leap of faith.
To me it sounds like your friend is the real deal. Not all 'gifted' folks believe in 'changing the world' by hanging out a sign or going big, instead the help to change the world one person at a time.
elnoraemily (guest)
 
9 years ago (2015-01-13)
Homeless work is great, too. My city has a huge homeless population:/ My fiance and I usually give out coats and food this time of year.
ifihadyoux (6 stories) (607 posts)
+1
9 years ago (2015-01-13)
Yeah it's the majority of the states approve it now vs disapprove, thankfully. Yes I like volunteering. When I worked at Kohl's they had a Kohl's cares thing were associates volunteer for numerous events and I tried doing as many as I could. I told them even after I left if they still need people to give me a call. I haven't had much time recently but I need to start doing that again. Put some of my design skills to a good cause. But yes, very rewarding.
elnoraemily (guest)
 
9 years ago (2015-01-13)
My mom and I used to volunteer in the Alzheimer's ward when I was little. It was actually very rewarding, even at a young age.

I would like to get into the LGBT community around here. We just got state approved marriage not long ago.
ifihadyoux (6 stories) (607 posts)
 
9 years ago (2015-01-13)
That's why I want to be an art director. I want to work for Parkinson's, Cancer, LGBT, and/or anti-bullying research and use my graphic design/advertising skills plus my knowledge to help fundraising for these events... Pretty deep huh.

Read previous comments

To publish a comment or vote, you need to be logged in (use the login form at the top of the page). If you don't have an account, sign up, it's free!

Search this site: