You are here: Real Ghost Stories :: Apparitions / Voices / Touches :: The East Window

Real Ghost Stories

The East Window

 

I am sixteen years old and before I can remember, my family have always insisted on weekend trips with friends into the country or to the coast. So when the October holidays (two years ago) came, we were off to the Woodhouse homestead in the Adelaide Hills. I've love old buildings ever since I was little, but upon reaching this particular house, I couldn't help but feel a little resentful and nervous as I entered the front door. The homestead was a two storey building, with numerous dorm rooms upstairs, a large kitchen, and an attached outhouse. It was dark before the first of our friends arrived and I seemingly jumped at every shadow that moved. Fortunately, soon the house was filled with adults' chatter downstairs, and children's laughter as they raced each other up and down the staircase.

My friend Mel and I were setting up her family's room (number 4) upstairs, while all the children were now downstairs, delighting in ghost stories told around the parlor fireplace. I had gone upstairs with an armful of bags to the room, while Mel was left downstairs trying to convince her mother that she should have brought her hairdryer. When I reached the top of the stairs, I found the air cold, and I immediately stopped to put on the sweater which was around my waist, thinking that someone had left a window open. I picked up the bags again and continued around the corner to face the open door of Mel's room. There, near the window, I saw a woman. she was not white but looked sickly pale, and I called out to her, for what reason, I don't know. She turned to look at me once, and then exited through the window. The window was closed. I was so freaked out that I dropped the bags in the hall and sprinted downstairs, unable to verbalize to anyone what I had just seen.

The next morning, after a restless night, in which I am sure I heard wailing and crying, I was the first awake in the house. Getting dressed, I found myself walking down to the front hall and opening the guest book on the table just inside the front door. In it, I found a description of a murder-suicide, conducted in the late 1800s. A man, who had owned the house, had been pushed out of the east window, by his jealous new wife. The man, it seemed, had been spending time in town with a mistress. The young wife had thrown herself out the window after her beloved, when she realized the full extent of her actions.

Other hauntings by interested_amateur

Hauntings with similar titles

Find ghost hunters and paranormal investigators from Australia

Comments about this paranormal experience

The following comments are submitted by users of this site and are not official positions by yourghoststories.com. Please read our guidelines and the previous posts before posting.

interested_amateur (2 stories) (3 posts)
+1
17 years ago (2007-01-28)
Thanks Janice. Yeah, my family and I go back to the homestead at least once every two years; we had so much fun there otherwise. I calmed down a bit after I had realized what was really going on, and after I realized she meant me no harm. I think the woman seems to be a lot happier, because I feel no fear or saddness there now, and I havent seen her since.
Janice (7 stories) (248 posts)
 
17 years ago (2007-01-27)
I like that story, it was really mysterious and suspenseful. I for one know that the lady wasn't any harm right? what happened after you saw that lady and thought you heard the wailing. Did you continue to stay there? I don't think I would've lasted another half-a-second in that house, but I think that it really would have also been interesting and scary, right? Well, did ya'll ever go there agian?
courtney (guest)
 
17 years ago (2007-01-27)
omg like that is sooooooooooo weird man.
but that sh!t I c alot because I live with ghost in my house

To publish a comment or vote, you need to be logged in (use the login form at the top of the page). If you don't have an account, sign up, it's free!

Search this site: