You are here: Real Ghost Stories :: Old Hags / Night Attacks / Sleep Paralysis :: My Encounters With an Unseen Force

Real Ghost Stories

My Encounters With an Unseen Force

 

Other than one other soul, I have never discussed this before. I have researched sleep paralysis in depth and for a while I believed it to be the cause of my experiences. These experiences have only happened in my parents house. On numerous occasions I would wake up in bed, totally incapable of moving anything, but I could blink my eyes. I felt an immense weight on my chest, but nothing was there, just darkness. Not really like a shadow but a darkness. It would speak to me... Always saying similar things, and it was always the same grim raspy whisper. I could not move or say anything. I tried to scream and scream, but no sound would come out.

I know this sounds exactly like sleep paralysis and I rode it off as such for a long time. I would have liked to believe these visits where just me dreaming and nothing more. However, whenever I am not sleeping at my house this has never happened. Not once. When I was living elsewhere it never happened, but when I moved back home it started again. Never anywhere else. I kept all this to myself until my cousin came to stay with us for a few months. He had never had this type of experience until he came to stay with us. Several nights in a row he said he woke up with something choking him, and he couldn't move or talk. He didn't tell me this until after it had happened about three nights in a row. He asked me out the blue if I believed in ghosts. I didn't say anything. He then began to tell me about what had been happening to him. I began to tell him about what had been going on, and I told him I thought it was odd that it hasn't happened to me since he came to stay with us. He was very frightened by the whole ordeal and we began discussing it. The thing that really bothered me has how he was explaining exactly what I was going through without me saying anything to him about it. Even the types of things in which it said to him where almost exactly like what it was saying to me. Even the voice matched the once I had been hearing. Now up to this point, I guess a person could chalk all this up to sleep paralysis or some rational explanation.

What happened next, however, is far more chilling and much harder to rationally explain. While we were discussing this I noticed a sharp change in the room's climate. In seemed very cold, but only in one part of the room and no where else. I don't remember exactly what was said right before the noise, but we where talking about ways to get rid of it when we where silenced by a strange growling sound. It did not sound like anything else I have ever heard in my entire life. The best way to sum it up would be a high pitched wail like a cat in great pain. The noise seemed to move around us like it was moving towards the door. He looked at me strangely and then suddenly my door slammed shut. It was wide open and it rapidly closed... and I mean hard. This all happened within several seconds.

Since that day neither him nor I have ever had a similar experience. I sleep much better now, and I haven't had anything even remotely similar to this happen to me this that day nor has my cousin.

Hauntings with similar titles

Find ghost hunters and paranormal investigators from Texas

Comments about this paranormal experience

The following comments are submitted by users of this site and are not official positions by yourghoststories.com. Please read our guidelines and the previous posts before posting.

BobertTiir (8 posts)
+1
13 years ago (2011-01-20)
"What happened next, however, is far more chilling and much harder to rationally explain."

CHALLENGE ACCEPTED.

"While we were discussing this I noticed a sharp change in the room's climate. In seemed very cold, but only in one part of the room and no where else. I don't remember exactly what was said right before the noise, but we where talking about ways to get rid of it when we where silenced by a strange growling sound. It did not sound like anything else I have ever heard in my entire life. The best way to sum it up would be a high pitched wail like a cat in great pain. The noise seemed to move around us like it was moving towards the door. He looked at me strangely and then suddenly my door slammed shut. It was wide open and it rapidly closed... And I mean hard. This all happened within several seconds."

This is what you might know as an anomoly in Entangled Timlines, you see, everything that happens in the universe splits off into multiple timelines, which are alternate planes of existence where that event happened differently, or didn't happen at all, now, what if this was an intersecting point in your timeline, and this... Creature's timeline? The growl would be an expression of anger due to the fact that it can feel your presence, just as you could feel it's, the cold chill could be that it had it's A/C on, and you had your heater on, and the slamming door could be that it was trying to "scare" your timeline away.

Or it could be ghosts, by far, ghosts are an easier response.
deja (guest)
 
17 years ago (2007-04-24)
its only happening to me a few times in the last 4 years since I moved in my present house. I was told to say " I rebuke you in the name of jesus christ!" I'm going to start reading the bible before I go to bed.
Oli (2 stories) (74 posts)
+1
17 years ago (2007-02-07)
Wow, so many people have experienced this phenomenon. It has happened to me numerous times and I thought it was just my imagination, but then my brothers and my sis told me it happened to them too. Then my cousin came to sleep over one day. In the middle of the night he woke me up and told me that the "hag" just got on top of him and he couldn't move. He then told me to get the bible and pray. I researched sleep paralysis too, but I really don't think that is the same thing as what we are experiencing. Oh yeah, just some helpful tips that I learned from somebody. If you are experiencing this "old hag syndrome," when you go to sleep at night, cross one of your legs over the other one, and put one hand on your body while leaving the other one by your side. This may sound silly, but it worked for me. Plus I'm a Christian, so I'm over the hag stuff for now. Well, hope my story and tips help you.
Janice (7 stories) (248 posts)
 
17 years ago (2007-01-27)
Wow, it probably just had to do with that house you lived in. You moved, right? If it was sleep paralysis, then I think that is would have happened anywhere else you went, because according to the stories I've heard about it, it usually sticks with you. Like I typed a few seconds ago, it just had to do with the house, nothing more, nothing less. Well, that was a great story and you really should do more research on what could've happened, just to know, in case you ever do go through it again.
mase (7 posts)
 
17 years ago (2007-01-27)
i bet half of that story is missing you are just scared or have heaps of nightmares that why your negative energy only stayed in your bed then when your cousin comes over you think it will happen to him so it did and then when he spoke it out to you and you realise its the same thing it disappears because you relax knowing youre not crazy
courtney (guest)
 
17 years ago (2007-01-27)
bro that just not right man I feel 4 you I really do
Freida (guest)
+1
17 years ago (2007-01-26)
This is a very upsetting story. Similar things happened to my uncle when he was staying in an old house. He felt unsettled the whole time and that night he was held down by something very strong. He could not talk, shout for help, barely even breathe, it took ten minutes while he prayed silently and then the force dissapeared. My cousin also had a really bad one- he was living in an old farmohouse-every tuesday night, for a number of months a burst of light would appear and something cold would scratch his back. Sceptics may try to prove this wrong but why did it only happen on tuesdays?
Martin (602 posts) mod
+1
17 years ago (2007-01-26)
Personally I believe that we are particularly vulnerable against beings from the astral plane (ghosts, entities, etc) when in between state of being fully awake and sleep, hence the old hag syndrome. Just because there is a scientific explanation for the physical condition that causes sleep paralysis doesn't mean that when we are in that state, we don't experience the supernatural.

To publish a comment or vote, you need to be logged in (use the login form at the top of the page). If you don't have an account, sign up, it's free!

Search this site: