You are here: Real Ghost Stories :: Apparitions / Voices / Touches :: An Otherworldly Unexplainable Experience

Real Ghost Stories

An Otherworldly Unexplainable Experience

 

I guess I'm just going to jump right into it. I will add that up until this very creepy, unexplainable experience I was a huge skeptic. I guess you could probably still consider me one. I've shared my story with only a few close family members and friends. I do believe the lot of them thinks I'm freaking nuts. I thought if I shared my story with those who are open to the possibility that ghosts/spirits are real, perhaps I'd receive better (nicer) criticism than what my family and friends had to offer me.

It was May of 2005 and my grandfather, Papa as we liked to call him, had just recently undergone quadruple bypass surgery. He was in need of a helping hand around the house while he was recovering and, with other family members not being able to get the necessary amount of time off of work I offered to fly from Michigan to Chesapeake Beach, Maryland with my three month old daughter to help care for him. It was a good excuse to take another month off of work and for my grandfather and other family members to finally meet the newest addition to the family. Long story short, he recovered nicely with no complications.

Let me quickly explain the layout of my grandfather's house to you as it does come in handy when mentally picturing what I would experience one evening during my stay. It was a ranch style home designed by my grandparents and built in 1989. When you enter the home from the garage (no one ever used the front door) you were greeted by a small hallway. To the left was the laundry room, to the right was the guest bathroom and directly ahead was the family room with a walk out deck that stretched the entire back of the house. To the right of the family room was the kitchen and just past the kitchen was the dining room with double doors that also open up to the back deck. Make another right, you've got the living room and off to the left were all of the bedrooms and bathrooms.

During my stay I thought it would be wise to sleep in the family room instead of the spare guest bedroom. It gave me more room for the portable crib, baby swing and other random baby toys and accessories. It also offered easy access to the kitchen for late night feedings. I was far enough away from my grandfather's room that if the baby cried, he most likely wouldn't hear it. Perfect!

So, it's about 2:30 a.m. (I don't remember the exact date) and the baby had awoken in need of a change and feeding like any other night. By the time I'd finished caring for her and she'd nodded back off to sleep it's now closer to 3 a.m. I lay her down in the portable crib next to the pull out sofa, turn the light off in the kitchen and lay back down myself. Unfortunately, I'm wide awake now so I decide to flip through the channels on the TV in search of a rerun or sappy movie to help lull me back to sleep. After about five to ten minutes of channel surfing I begin to hear noises coming from back in the dining room. Not sure as to what it was I was actually hearing, I turn the volume down on the TV. Silence... It was probably a good minute or two of laying there listening to nothing when it started again. Only this time it was louder. I called out for my grandfather with no response. The noise I'm hearing is definitely coming from the dining room; the sound of jiggling door handles. Someone's trying to open the double doors.

Now I'm really freaking out as my first reaction is that someone is trying to break into the house. I call out again for my grandfather with, yet again, no response. I have no view of the kitchen or dining room as I'm too freaked out to lift my head and peer over the back of the couch. All I'm thinking now is that all of the blinds are shut and I triple checked to make sure all of the doors were locked. If someone were trying to break in from the back deck I'd have plenty of time to grab the baby and make a run out through the garage to the neighbors, hopefully without being seen. And that's when the house fell silent again. I can't tell you how long I laid there, scared stupid, as it seemed like forever. There were no more jiggling door handles; absolutely no commotion coming from outside. I finally mustered the courage to lift myself up and peer into the dark kitchen. With the dim light of the TV I was able to make out the doors in the dining room as well. They were shut, locked up tight, and all was quiet and calm. I laid my head back down on my pillow and that's when the footsteps started.

My grandfather's home is completely carpeted with the exception of the bathrooms and the kitchen. The kitchen has linoleum flooring and after 16 years the floorboards had started to creak. These footsteps started at the entrance to the kitchen from the dining room and made their way ever so slow and steady across the linoleum floor towards the family room where I lay frozen solid; the hair standing up on my arms and back of my neck. They stopped just short of reaching the back of the couch. And that was it. No more noise. No more footsteps. Whatever it was never retreated back in the direction it had come from. There was nothing. Once again I'm left laying there waiting, listening, and completely freaked out, heart pounding out of my chest. The really weird thing was that those feelings of panic didn't last long at all. I was soon welcomed by an almost overwhelming sense of calm and peacefulness and I eventually fell asleep.

And that's my story. It's kind of boring compared to some of the other stories I've read on this site prior to posting this but I thought I'd share it anyway. I certainly cannot explain it. I should probably note that my grandmother had passed away in her sleep in this home in 1998. Although I can't tell you how many times I'd spent the night there after her passing and never once experienced anything like that before. What are your thoughts? Thanks for reading.

Other hauntings by Bringel

Hauntings with similar titles

Find ghost hunters and paranormal investigators from Maryland

Comments about this paranormal experience

The following comments are submitted by users of this site and are not official positions by yourghoststories.com. Please read our guidelines and the previous posts before posting. The author, Bringel, has the following expectation about your feedback: I will read the comments and participate in the discussion.

Sam222 (8 stories) (461 posts)
 
9 years ago (2015-02-25)
Oops sorry for the name misspelling, I usually don't do that, ERRR! Autocorrect strikes again! 😠
Sam222 (8 stories) (461 posts)
 
9 years ago (2015-02-25)
bridgel,
It could have been your grandmother, though no one can be certain because you didn't see and apparation, or even hear her voice, wich would have confirmed it being your grandmother, but I'm not really sure, ask your grandfather ahout it.
Tweed (35 stories) (2494 posts)
+1
9 years ago (2015-02-19)
Would love to hear your other experiences, hope you can share them soon.
It's best to keep skeptical. There's a such thing as believing too much too readily. A balance between the two is key, I think.
😊
Bringel (3 stories) (1 posts)
+1
9 years ago (2015-02-17)
Hi guys! Sorry it's taken me so long to comment! I didn't realize they had posted my story. Thanks so much for the nice comments and feedback. I've tried for years to come up with a logical explanation as to what I may have heard that night but still, to this day, have had no luck. It is quite possible that someone was trying to break in. Why I didn't hear any other activity on the deck as I was laying literally right next to the sliding glass door... Who knows. Super Ninja's maybe. All I can say is thank God it wasn't a break in.
To: Tweed and PadalLadka - I get the question of whether or not it was my grandfather a lot. The one thing those "naysayers" do agree with, or at least the ones who knew my grandfather, was that there is no way it could have been him. Something I probably should have mentioned in the story (sorry) was that he had been dealing with diabetes for as long as I could remember. This left him with little to no feeling in both legs from the knee's down which caused him to be very heavy footed, even when he tried not to be. These footsteps were very soft and steady. And it would have been very unlike him to come in without a reason. The only time I'd ever witnessed him in the kitchen at that hour of the day was to get a snack because his blood sugar was low. But that always required turning on lights and opening cabinets and yada yada. Plus, on top of all of that, the footsteps didn't go back the way they came. They stopped right where the kitchen and the living room meet; exactly a foot and a half maybe from where we were sleeping...
I guess I'll never know or fully understand.
To: MandyWest86 and Spockie - I would absolutely love to believe that it was my grandmother checking out her great grandbaby. Her passing completely devastated our family as it was so unexpected (there's another story I'll have to share... Creepy weirdness) But there's still that bit of skeptic in me. Maybe I need more proof;) This isn't the only unexplainable experience I've had in my lifetime either. Maybe I've gotten my proof and just need to open up a little more to the possibility that it could all be very real.
Thanks again!
Spockie (8 stories) (203 posts)
 
9 years ago (2015-02-16)
Spirits are all around us even when they don't manifest, and it seems when a new person comes into a home for a visit, sometimes they check them out. Curiosity, maybe?
MandyWest86 (1 posts)
+1
9 years ago (2015-02-15)
First off I'd like to say excellent story telling! I have been reading stories on here for a year and have had very few paranormal experiences myself, even though I have been OBSESSED with anything ghostly and paranormal pretty much my whole life. But your story gave me the final nudge I needed to make my own account on ygs, and simply because I really wanted to ask you if you thought it was maybe your grandmother who you were hearing that night and, if so, maybe she wanted to see her brand new granddaughter? I know there's probably a million ways to debunk the sounds of the doorhandles jiggling and maybe even the footsteps you heard, but Id like to believe the alternative. Especially if you were feeling terrified and panicked in one extreme, and then going to completely calm and peaceful in the next. Hope to hear (read, actually) back from you and I'm very relieved/happy your granfather made a full recovery! Thanks again for your story;)
PagalLadka (1 stories) (27 posts)
 
9 years ago (2015-02-15)
Maybe it was your grandpa who was awaken at late night or someone trying to break in. But nicely narrated story.
Tweed (35 stories) (2494 posts)
 
9 years ago (2015-02-14)
Hi Bringel,

Would it be possible your grandfather was sleepwalking and that's what you heard?

That's the only physical explanation I can think of.

Those feelings of calm that overcame you are a good sign. It's natural to freak out and this is a positive response because it could have been an intruder.
In your experience that feeling of calm is the key to unraveling their motives, I believe they had good intentions.
Jiggling door knobs and walking up to you is a clumsy way to make contact with you, especially if you're a nonbeliever. But it was probably their way of telling you "I'm entering, and here I am."

It must take a heck of a lot of energy and know how for ghosts to interact with our physical realm. If this is true it's no wonder ghosts have an odd way of making themselves known.

Just curious what do the naysayers in your life say about this? How do they explain it?

Take care. 😊

To publish a comment or vote, you need to be logged in (use the login form at the top of the page). If you don't have an account, sign up, it's free!

Search this site: