You are here: Real Ghost Stories :: Apparitions / Voices / Touches :: The Unexplainable Old Woman

Real Ghost Stories

The Unexplainable Old Woman

 

let me start by saying I wasn't a firm believer in the paranormal until this I had this particular experience. This happened back in 2009 when I had visited India for the 2nd time, for a family function which was supposed to be in Bombay, or at least that's what I thought. When I got to Bombay with my parents I figured that the event was going to take place in my family's "native place" which was called Vaked, a tiny almost abandoned village about 600 miles from Bombay.

I vaguely remember being there on my last visit to India which was about 5/6 years before this incident. I have heard a lot of stories of the place being haunted/cursed/a place for evil, etc. I used to discard these stories considering the village barely had 10 or 15 people living in it and it was close to nothing and totally empty.

When we had got to Vaked it was about a 5 day stay there, we were living in an old family village house which was supposedly where all of my ancestors grew up and lived. Now skipping forward to day number 5 which was the day we were meant to leave back to Bombay, I had taken my luggage into an SUV which was going to take me and my parents and a few other members of the family back to Bombay. Now keep in mind this particular SUV had a back door which opened forward from the side, like an actual door and not upwards like most SUVs.

So, as I put my stuff into the back and I had kept the back door wide open and was leaning on it for a while until everyone gets there, I just closed my eyes for a bit as it was quite early in the morning and I was tired as well. All of a sudden I heard a shriveled but happy sounding voice of an old woman behind me asking me in Marathi (a regional language within India) if I had enjoyed myself. I just lethargically replied back with a lazy "yes" thinking it's one of the relatives trying to make small talk.

What happened next stunned me on the spot for a bit, "Last time I saw you, you were just a little boy and now you have started smoking, you grew up so fast." Hearing this, I immediately turned around to see who this person was and how did she know of my smoking as nobody besides my dad and my friends know about it nor was I smoking while this happened. I turned around, shut the SUV's back door and there I saw a frail but really happy looking old woman with a plastic bag in one of her hands. I immediately recognized her, but I couldn't remember who she was. She was standing less that 10 feet from me, dressed in a bright orange and green saree (traditional Indian women's attire) covered in jewelry, slightly hunched, with the biggest smile on her face, like she was excited to see me. She started speaking to me in Marathi but I just couldn't fight away the feeling of knowing her from somewhere but not remembering where.

She then goes to say that, she had better get back now (I have no idea where). Saying that she pulled out a purplish packet of biscuits called "hide and seek" and place them in my hand and told me that it was for my long journey that I was going to have. She then walked to the side of the SUV and literally vanished into thin air and I was the only person around while this happened, like she was scoping the area to find me alone or something like that.

While I was still trying to comprehend what had just happened less than a minute ago, there was a pat on my back, I freaked out like never before and turned around, it was only my dad asking me if I had taken all of my stuff from inside. During the drive back to Bombay I tried talking to my mom about what had happened earlier that day, she just ignored it saying that I might have been tired and thought this all up. Even if it did all happen in my head I still can't explain the packet of biscuits that the old lady had given me, which I later trashed.

I have never really talked about this much but have given it quite some thought recently. If anybody could explain what or who the lady was or why did I have a confident feeling of knowing her from somewhere or how could she have just vanished in cold sight and how did she know that I was a smoker even though she'd never met me before except for when I was a baby (as she claimed) I would really appreciate.

If anyone has any questions/quarries about this, I'd be glad to answer.

Hauntings with similar titles

Find ghost hunters and paranormal investigators from India

Comments about this paranormal experience

The following comments are submitted by users of this site and are not official positions by yourghoststories.com. Please read our guidelines and the previous posts before posting. The author, ShetyeNikhil, has the following expectation about your feedback: I will participate in the discussion and I need help with what I have experienced.

Vikram (14 posts)
 
8 years ago (2016-01-10)
The only two options are one its a human being or two a spirit.

Human beings won't generally dress up with jewelry at that early hour. Except if there is some occasion at that point of time. Which is not probable.

I think it is the spirit of someone who knows you very well and loves you very much. A very strong feeling of mine is that she may be one of your ancestor. She must have loved you so much.

You didn't mention what you did with the Biscuit packet? Sounds trivial but sometimes that is where the catch lies. It could be a genuine concern for your long trip it could be something else also. But seems like it cared for you genuinely.
TinAA (1 stories) (84 posts)
 
9 years ago (2014-11-26)
Hi ShetyeNikhil... Very sweet story... Nicely written and I believe your story. Coming to that old lady I guess she might be some past relative of yours who might have had some attachment towards you. I mean the way she spoke with you and then handed over the biscuit packet, this all proves that she might be the one who was attached to you in your childhood. Well... Upon reading your story, it made me think that ghosts can be kind too...
Swimsinfire (11 stories) (556 posts)
 
10 years ago (2014-04-18)
And this is why I believe in guardian spirits, like Tara and them. Bless our relatives every day.! ❤
ghostdancer (2 stories) (13 posts)
 
10 years ago (2014-04-17)
Perhaps this could be a relative or someone you have met as a kid. This woman could be a older family friend that you have met only a few times or just a ghost passing by. Or it could be a neighbour that knew you as a child. Hope this helps 😁
ShetyeNikhil (guest)
 
10 years ago (2014-04-17)
[at] Miracles51031: That is a good point you bring up, it would be a little creepy if whoever they are watching everything I do, I'd have a lot of explaining to do:P
I will look into the family history regarding this as and when I get the time, I do need to get to the bottom of this, haha.

[at] senorita: I'm glad the story/incident brought back cherish-able memories about your grandmother for you, as everyone should have a few:')
I do agree with you because the actions of the woman were clearly of love/consideration towards me and wasn't out to hurt or haunt me or anything of the sort.
senorita (2 stories) (17 posts)
 
10 years ago (2014-04-17)
nice story and I am really touched to read that that lady gave you biscuits to eat, that's lovely gesture of old people:). Nikhil, I think you should remember this incidence as a lovely memory. Whosoever she was, she showered you with love. Gave you biscuits to eat (my god, this reminds me of my grandmother, she used give me biscuits whenever I used to come back from school /college)

You story took me back to villages of india, I simply love to walk on the kutta roads of indian villages:)
sheetal (6 stories) (771 posts)
 
10 years ago (2014-04-17)
hi Nikhil... Nice story. I also think that she must be someone from your family. Who want to see you from long time. That's why you are getting feeling of knowing her. Agree with Miracle just go through with your family picture. (but I think you'll not find anything in that because older days no one got clicked).

Do not think much more about this. One fine day you'll get answer. Many a time you see particular person and get feeling of knowing but never able to find. 😁
Miracles51031 (39 stories) (4999 posts) mod
 
10 years ago (2014-04-16)
ShetyeNikhil - I'm not sure how you believe, but I also agree with the previous posters. The way I believe, even though your grandmother and great-grandmother may have passed before you were born, this doesn't necessarily mean they aren't watching over you and the rest of their loved ones and know very well who you are and what you are doing... Like smoking 😉

The only way to know for certain who this woman was is to go through photos of family and friends. See if you can find her. At least this way you'll know 😊
ShetyeNikhil (guest)
 
10 years ago (2014-04-16)
[at] Wolfavera and Femaelstorm: Thank you guys for the feedback, but I honestly doubt it being my grandmother because she had passed before I was even born, and the lady being my great grandmother would be unlikely because the last time I had been to this place was when I was about 16-ish, she was long gone by then.

[at] GamerZ: I have already spoken to my parents' about this on various occasions, but they have just discarded it as "me seeing things" because they too like me, at one point in life, don't believe in the paranormal, so I don't bother them with this particular issue any more.
wolfavera (2 stories) (7 posts)
+1
10 years ago (2014-04-16)
I agree with what the others have said, it is most likely that she was a relative that knew you as a child and died. She was most likely a great grandmother.
-Jinx
Femaelstrom (1 stories) (56 posts)
+1
10 years ago (2014-04-16)
Perhaps she was an old relative who had passed through the veil, but was keeping an eye out for you.

Grandmother, great.grandmother, etc? Or a guardian spirit?
GamerZ (1 stories) (2 posts)
+1
10 years ago (2014-04-16)
Well, Nikhil... Ask your parents... Give a detailed information about the woman... If she was one of the Ancestors of you or not... This may help you out 😊

To publish a comment or vote, you need to be logged in (use the login form at the top of the page). If you don't have an account, sign up, it's free!

Search this site: