You are here: Real Ghost Stories :: Pets / Animals :: Our Dog

Real Ghost Stories

Our Dog

 

Me and my girlfriend brought a rescue Rottweiler (which was used for dog fighting) from an Animal Shelter. With its pesky grey eyes, we instantly loved it. Although distant and distrusting at first, the relationship soon warmed up and we felt we had completed a family.

Besides his general distrusting nature of people based on its past experience, Mesa soon became comfortable around the house. We live in a apartment, thankfully which is accepting pets! On cold nights, with my girlfriend out of town, I and Mesa (my dog) would snuggle up and watch TV. Often, I would be awoken by his barking (kind of a happy barking) and swear that I saw energy orbs around it.

I never thought too much of it, until my girlfriend told me 2 months ago that she felt something around our dog especially when it was alone, or in the night and it would do its happy bark.

Intrigued, both of us checked into the background of our dog in detail and found that he was part of a litter which was raised for dog fighting and other cruelty. Most of his family had died, other than his little brother, who was adopted by a different family. We were heartbroken and understood that the dog was probably happy barking because it saw its family. Two weeks ago he passed away in his sleep. We buried it at a local river side pet cemetery.

Both of us missed him so much, so much that we decided to try calling its name to see if we could feel him around us. We took our camera, in case we felt him. I am happy to say we felt him. I have pictures of him and his family (I presume).

Hauntings with similar titles

Find ghost hunters and paranormal investigators from Illinois

Comments about this paranormal experience

The following comments are submitted by users of this site and are not official positions by yourghoststories.com. Please read our guidelines and the previous posts before posting. The author, andytesa, has the following expectation about your feedback: I will read the comments but I won't participate in the discussion.

sera (guest)
-1
9 years ago (2015-10-02)
Like I have said before If you won't answer questions then IT"S MADE UP! I'm going to look at the bottom of the page before I read the story.
Triskaideka (2 stories) (388 posts)
-1
9 years ago (2015-07-19)
Lack of pictures and calling a supposedly well-loved dog "it" and "the dog" tell me either this story is made up or you weren't as close to your dog as you make it sound. Perhaps his skittishness in combination with the short period of time you had him had to do with it. But I'm sitting on the fence.
LemonDrop_Pop (guest)
+1
9 years ago (2015-07-18)
I wonder if there are pictures and if there was a dog. If you won't take part in the discussion then it must be made up. 🤔
RedWolf (31 stories) (1292 posts)
-2
9 years ago (2015-07-16)
andy,
Thank you for adopting a dog that was part of a dog fighting ring. Where I live there are quite a few rings like that. Whenever a dog is really messed up the police call upon my vet to try to patch them up, or euthanize them if needed. I am so sorry for your loss.
I just lost a dog to liver cancer. I had to have him put down on
7/11 and posted a story called Visiting Relatives because I had 2 deceased relatives come and let me know how annoyed they are
About not putting him down. It was my husband who was in denial and didn't want him put down.
Regards
Reduces
YLissaBearrY (1 stories) (16 posts)
-1
9 years ago (2015-07-14)
As everyone have already said...I'd just be repeating them, but oh well...Yes, pictures would really be nice to look at of this encounter.

I'm sorry about Mesa's past, and his passing. It's a sad thing to lose a furry companion. But, I'm sure he lived a good life with you and your girlfriend. Especially since it seemed like Mesa's own family was around with him. That's probably why he was "happy" barking. 😳

But it's cool that y'all feel Mesa there with you, even after his death. Seems like a true pet to me.

Though I am with everyone else when I say this; I do wonder why you called Mesa "it" after he died.

I hope we get some responses from you, AndyTesa. 😐

Other than that, thanks very much for sharing your story. I enjoy reading about pets.
TPA_Abhijeet (guest)
-1
9 years ago (2015-07-14)
Andy
Please send us your pics, I would love to see them. And I am quite annoyed that you called him 'it' after Musa's death.
Please respond as soon as you read these comments. Agree with you Tweed
Hecate0 (4 stories) (418 posts)
-1
9 years ago (2015-07-14)
Andytesa - yes, please send links to the pictures. Please. We would love to see them. Mesa was lucky to have you and your girl friend, even if only for a short time at the end of his hard life. I bet he stays near you for a while. Thanks for sharing. Please do chat with us...

Hecate
Tweed (35 stories) (2494 posts)
-1
9 years ago (2015-07-14)
Andy,

The comment thingy states you won't participate in the discussion. Which sucks because on behalf of everyone here I'd like to type a resounding:
"Please provide links to the pics!"
We would all be ever so thrilled if you did.

Also I notice, after your dog's death, you referred to him as 'it'. I would love to know why.

Sometimes people click the wrong comment thingy, I hope this is the case and that you do respond.
Thanks, take care.

To publish a comment or vote, you need to be logged in (use the login form at the top of the page). If you don't have an account, sign up, it's free!

Search this site: