You are here: Real Ghost Stories :: Pets / Animals :: The Dog Man On The Porch

Real Ghost Stories

The Dog Man On The Porch

 

Before the incident I should provide you with some context. I live in Bangladesh. I am an eighteen years old guy. I am also atheist/ agnostic.

When this story took place, I was seven years old and in second grade. I lived with my father, mother and my sister. My father is a teacher of a cadet college, a series of well known, semi-military residential schools in Bangladesh. Back when this incident took place, he worked in Jhenaidah cadet college, Jhenaidah, of south western Bangladesh. He was a lecturer there.

Back when I lived there, Jhenaidah cadet college was half engulfed into the Sundarbans. Sundarbans is the largest mangrove forest in the world. It is basically a salty swamp. Stories about the supernatural phenomenons inside sundarbans are widely known in our country.

The house we were given by the cadet college has a history. During the liberation war of Bangladesh in 1971, Jhenaidah cadet college was an active battle field and Pakistani soldier's encampment. They had used some of the residential quarters available at that time to dump the bodies of the people they had massacred. Our house was one of those. They had found seventeen bodies in this house.

Suspicious things would often happen. Every few weeks, there would be one or more nights when there would be banging, and scraping on the doors every few minutes. Deep into the night, there would even be groaning and moaning sounds. My parents always discarded them as the wind. I did too. But my sister would always get startled when it happened. My sister and I shared a room.

My sister was admitted into another cadet college when she was twelve. So she went away, leaving me to sleep alone in the room. I was six then.

One night, when I was seven, my parents were out for an office party. I was doing my homework. It was summer, and due to voltage shortage, the fans in the house were spinning really slowly, so it was hot inside the house. After finishing my homework, I came outside on the porch, turning the light of the porch on. Again due to voltage shortage, the light was meager.

I walked around on the porch for a few moments and remembered that I had left the fan of my room running. As I entered the house, leaving the front door open, I heard something that sounded like distant thunder. I paid little mind, as thunderstorms are quite common in the summer in Bangladesh. Thinking back on it; I should have. All the windows in the house were open. It took me about ten seconds to go to my room, turn off the fan and come back.

It was when I came back to the threshold of the front door and let my eyes adjust to the meager light outside and the darkness beyond, did I see the creature just at the edge of the porch.

It stood bipedal like a human. If you told me to guess, I'd say it was seven to eight feet in height. It's body was covered in what looked like black fur. It's head was that of a dog. I cannot tell you which breed, but one with a long face and pointy ears. It had yellow eyes. We stared at each other for a while. It bared its (pointy) teeth a little and made that sound that I thought was distant thunder.

I unfroze and immediately closed and bolted the door, went to the kitchen, and turned up all the stoves. Then I grabbed the copy of the Quran that we had and hid in the cupboard. My parents had to bang on the door for fifteen long minutes when they came back.

Now for the disclaimers:

I was seven. I might have seen one thing and thought another. It could have been a case of pareidolia.

There are hoolock gibbons in sundarbans. They have black fur, but I can not imagine one being so large and having a canine face. Then again, I was scared and that can affect my perception.

Or someone might've been playing a prank on me.

We lived in that house for three more years. The rest of the paranormal activity went on normally, but they affected me differently after the dog man. I didn't suddenly start being terrified of them, but I was more wary.

Something else happened in the meantime, to both me and my sister. I will not be sharing that experience right now as it bothers my sister quite a lot.

What do you think it was? And what do you think would have happened if I didn't bolt the door?

Other hauntings by FarEndofSpectrum

Hauntings with similar titles

Comments about this paranormal experience

The following comments are submitted by users of this site and are not official positions by yourghoststories.com. Please read our guidelines and the previous posts before posting. The author, FarEndofSpectrum, has the following expectation about your feedback: I will read the comments and participate in the discussion.

Spooderman (1 stories) (11 posts)
+1
2 months ago (2024-01-03)
Well, my honest opinion on this story is that the creature was none other than a Jinn. I understand that you're agnostic but that's what I as a Muslim believe in and I myself have heard various stories about them, might as well have had minor encounters with these beings. The Jinns are said to be creatures just like us humans, consisting of both good and bad. The bad ones however, like to disturb normal civilians and cause destruction. Hope this helps. Peace.
FarEndofSpectrum (6 stories) (38 posts)
+1
4 years ago (2020-09-02)
Metzalnawa

Dog people appear often and all over the world. They've been alongside human race for longer than most supernatural folklore. Every culture has a dog headed human creature.
FarEndofSpectrum (6 stories) (38 posts)
+2
4 years ago (2020-09-02)
ScoobieGang

I do not know. I, personally, have always felt comfort in the presence of fire. Even before I encountered something significantly paranormal. Perhaps I was seeking comfort. Perhaps I wanted a flamethrower. I was seven.
FarEndofSpectrum (6 stories) (38 posts)
+2
4 years ago (2020-09-02)
t_bev

Yes, that house was quite a bad space. That place was also a torture chamber of sorts. A portion of it was blown up by the Freedom fighters when it was reconquered by us. That part of the house was renovated.
Metzalnawa (1 stories) (7 posts)
+2
4 years ago (2020-09-01)
These dog human mix entities are really creepy. They seem to appear often either in a more human like form or a more dog like form.
ScoobieGang (4 posts)
+2
4 years ago (2020-08-31)
Quick question... Why would you "turn up all the stoves"? I don't understand the significance or relation to the story.
t_bev (3 stories) (32 posts)
+2
4 years ago (2020-08-26)
FarEndofSpectrum - I can only imagine that a place with a history like what you described would almost HAVE to have some sort of residual haunting if not an outright black energy.

Looking forward to reading more of your experiences!
FarEndofSpectrum (6 stories) (38 posts)
+3
4 years ago (2020-07-22)
Hi sleeping-with-steve

It was my first major run-in with the paranormal. It left a strong impact on me. It is the nature of the human mind to retain emotionally impactful events with great details.

The creature does remind one of a bear. However, the portion of Bangladesh I was staying at that point had no bear population. It is highly unlikely a bear would end up there on my porch.

The house wasn't in the middle of the swamp. The campus we lived in had swamp to the south, south east and southwest. It was a very safe and disciplined neighborhood.

Babysitters are unavailable in our country, and the party my father went to allowed no children. I had been left alone in that house even before. I could handle myself.

Whether or not my sister is comfortable to share that story is he own choice. I have a number of other major paranormal experiences to share. I will be sharing those first.
FarEndofSpectrum (6 stories) (38 posts)
+4
4 years ago (2020-07-22)
Hello, MrsRamsay

I suppose I should've clarified this in the main submission. Bangladesh, as a third world country, is a little slow on technological uptake. Mobile phones were in market; however, they were incredibly expensive. Our family had one mobile phone, and that was always carried by my father as he contacted both my grandparents with it. For work he used a landline. As he was also the Mass manager (cadet college, being a residential institution, appointed all the positions of a hostel's managerial committee from within the lecturers) the landline was always active. I suppose as a panicked seven year old, it did not occure to me that I could have used that to at least call the guards. It is true that we often look back on such experiences with scrutiny of our own decisions.
Sleeping-with-steve (guest)
+4
4 years ago (2020-07-22)
Hello FarEndofSpectrum,

You mentioned everything that happened back when you were seven with great detail.

I don't think I could live where you lived, in the middle of a mangrove forest/salty swamp.

Like Bibliothecarius, a huge bear came to mind when I was reading your description of the dogman. I don't know much about bears, however I have seen them stand as tall as 8ft.

You were so young to be left on your own. 😲

I'm interested in knowing about your other experience too. Maybe your sister might want to share that when she feels comfortable talking about what happened.

Thank you for sharing your encounter. I found it very interesting.

Best wishes,
SWS.
😘
MrsRamsay (guest)
+3
4 years ago (2020-07-22)
Hi FarEnd,
What a great story, you did a great job with it and are obviously a super credible young man. The history of your home is so sad, and it's always interesting when a place holds such "energy" (as they call it...I'm a little at loss for the words). I had one question for you: could/did you call your parents? If my math is right, that would've been when people had cell phones. I ask because I have four kids and every time I go out, someone is calling me with some kind of "emergency" but NEVER anything scary like the experience you had. I just wonder if you thought to call your parents? And if not, why? I have speculated before (to myself, haha) that when something paranormal happens, even if we're spooked, we tend to accept it at the time and only later look back and think, "Why didn't I do..." whatever. My experiences feel sort of fuzzy, in any case.

Am looking forward to your next story. Thanks for sharing.
FarEndofSpectrum (6 stories) (38 posts)
+3
4 years ago (2020-07-22)
Hello, LuciaJacinta

"The most merciful thing in the world, I think, is the inability of the human mind to correlate all its contents. We live on a placid island of ignorance in the midst of black seas of infinity, and it was not meant that we should voyage far."

I think we all know who said that.
LuciaJacinta (8 stories) (291 posts)
+4
4 years ago (2020-07-21)
Very scary. It's very interesting as well. I think there are things out there roaming the earth. Not sure of their purpose... But I'm really glad you bolted the door and it went away.
FarEndofSpectrum (6 stories) (38 posts)
+4
4 years ago (2020-07-19)
Hello, boo_boo_whoo.

The neighborhood we lived in was extremely safe and well surveillanced. Crime rates were zero percent. All the risk of leaving a seven year old home alone came from the seven year old itself.

But, regarding your statement that you are scared of being alone, I would say: I have come to believe throughout my life that, we are, perhaps, never alone.
boo_boo_whoo (15 posts)
+3
4 years ago (2020-07-19)
That was very scary 😨
You were very brave staying home alone at that age. I don't like to be alone...
FarEndofSpectrum (6 stories) (38 posts)
+3
4 years ago (2020-07-19)
Hello bibliothecarius. The part of Bangladesh I'm referring to is almost three hundred miles or so away from the nearest sloth bear habitat. There are no bears in sundarbans.

And while the maw matches, I remember pointy, large ears in the creature I saw.

But I do believe that bear could've come there via humans, as bears are an intrinsic part of circuses and festivals here. I do not, however, know of any circus group visiting or any festivals happening nearby at that time. I should consult this with my family. Perhaps then it could be explained.
Bibliothecarius (9 stories) (1091 posts)
+2
4 years ago (2020-07-19)
Greetings, FarEndofSpectrum, and welcome to YGS.

In Bangladesh, the Sloth Bear can grow to 6 feet in length. It has a dog-lke muzzle, and the very dim lighting may have distorted your view of its size. You may see pictures of the Sloth Bear if you go to the folllowing website: http://bearprojectbd.weebly.com/bears-in-bangladesh.html (The Sloth Bear is the 3rd animal on this list).

I don't doubt that you saw something, but I'd like to know if the dog-like appearance of the Sloth Bear's head is at all similar to what you saw as a child.

Best,
Biblio.

To publish a comment or vote, you need to be logged in (use the login form at the top of the page). If you don't have an account, sign up, it's free!

Search this site: