You are here: Real Ghost Stories :: Family / Friends Visits :: Goodnight Gramma

Real Ghost Stories

Goodnight Gramma

 

In my great gramma's old age she didn't like kids very much. She wasn't always nice to the grandkids or the great-grandkids. Except me. I looked exactly like her and her daughter, so from what my mom tells me I was always her favorite. I don't remember much of her she passed in her sleep when I was 5, but one of my first memories ever is rolling down the hill behind her house. She was my father's grandmother.

A little background to kind of understand a bit more, my parents split up when I was 4. We didn't see much of him due to him being a very cruel man. So this is what I remember.

One day my great gramma (I know the spelling is wrong it's how everyone spelled it) was watching me and my younger brother Justin. She told me she was getting tired and needed to lay down a bit and she loved me and be good for mommy and daddy. Being 5 I just said, "Ok gramma, love you too" and continued to watch my cartoons.

A few hours later Justin and I were getting hungry, so I went to ask her to wake up, but she wouldn't. So being the awesome big sister I was even at that age I attempted to make something to eat for us but instead made a huge mess. When my parents got back to the house they walked in to a mess and started yelling. I then went on to tell them gramma was asleep and I couldn't wake her up, so my father went in and tried to wake her up. He started screaming to call 911, and that's all I remember.

So a few years back, I was about 22 at the time, I brought the "memory" up to my mom. She explained that her and my father weren't even together at the time, and that we were with her when we got the call stating great gramma died.

I normally have very weird very, very, very, vivid dreams that make me wonder if I was dreaming or not, which a lot of the time after the next day I forget. I have had this "memory" for as long as I can remember and still remember it like it was yesterday. When I think about it, it's as if I was thinking about what I did the previous day.

I am wondering, could this have been my great gramma coming to tell me goodbye while I was still young, or could I have known when she was passing without me being there? It still feels so very real to me no matter how many times my mom tells me different.

Other hauntings by ahuff6513

Hauntings with similar titles

Find ghost hunters and paranormal investigators from Pennsylvania

Comments about this paranormal experience

The following comments are submitted by users of this site and are not official positions by yourghoststories.com. Please read our guidelines and the previous posts before posting. The author, ahuff6513, has the following expectation about your feedback: I will read the comments and participate in the discussion.

Hecate0 (4 stories) (418 posts)
 
9 years ago (2015-07-27)
Ahuff, I like Val's dream infusion idea, along with the others' suggestions. Sounds like a new tea, dream infusion.

Our memory is VERY malleable, especially in children. There is a lot of research on implanting memories in children that people later swear are real. This, along with vivid dreams AND a possible visitation here, it can feel real, even if only parts of it are. Thanks for sharing.

Best to you,
Hecate 😊
ahuff6513 (3 stories) (9 posts)
 
9 years ago (2015-07-27)
The rolling down the hill part is true I asked my mom about it and my older siblings as well they all told me it happened. I don't remember her but I remember the exact house she lives in my great uncle lives in that house now cause it is in my hometown, so everytime I pass it I remember rolling down the hill right next to the house. Its just weird that I remember that dream so vividly from when I was that young and I honestly believed it was the truth up until about 6 years ago. She died 20 years ago. Thank you for reading the story and giving your input!
valkricry (48 stories) (3257 posts) mod
+1
9 years ago (2015-07-25)
ahuff,
Since you were so young at the time, I put forth this theory; perhaps what you have is a fused memory/visitation/dream. As Tweed points out, visitation dream are usually quite vivid. 'They' were 'here' feeling. Who is to say, since it happens in a dream, that it can not coincide with a regular dream? Perhaps the rolling down a hill and staying with Great-grandma really DID happen, back prior to your parents split up, a 'true' memory. Those can be part of a dream too. Perhaps, you were dreaming of that, when Great Grandma came and bid you farewell. 5 year olds generally don't really have a concept of death besides a really long sleep. So her going to lie down, makes sense. It also explains your mixed feelings on whether it was a memory or a visitation, because the two were fused together. Does that make sense?
ahuff6513 (3 stories) (9 posts)
 
9 years ago (2015-07-25)
Tweed thank you for reading and glad you like it. I tried talking to my mom about it she doesn't really believe in that kind of stuff. So when I bring it up or try to bring up that side of my family she just changes the subject. She can't stand that family. (not very nice people) Its strange I normally have vivid dreams but this one... Part of me feels like she just came to me to say goodbye, but part of me feels like I knew what happened before it did. It's all very confusing
Tweed (33 stories) (2475 posts)
 
9 years ago (2015-07-24)
Hi Ahuff,

Man this is intriguing. Since you were so young at the time it's going to be very hard to tell either way what happened, unfortunately. So go by what you feel about it still. Visitation dreams are nearly always vivid, in my experience. Since this memory still 'haunts' (heh) you today, I'd lean more toward that it was your Gramma making contact with you in some way, through a dream.

To publish a comment or vote, you need to be logged in (use the login form at the top of the page). If you don't have an account, sign up, it's free!

Search this site: