You are here: Real Ghost Stories :: Family / Friends Visits :: Goodnight Grandpa

Real Ghost Stories

Goodnight Grandpa

 

I was about 15 when my grandfather passed away. It was a real loss when he went as he hadn't been ill or at least not that we knew of. He was an incredible man with class, integrity and a real knack for making people feel appreciated. My grandma had passed just a year prior of cancer and the two of them were extremely close. It was the kind of marriage you see that just makes you see what love truly is.

Prior to my grandfathers passing I was fortunate to spend some time with him as a congratulations trip for passing 8th grade. It was something that my grandparents had done with all the grandkids and I was the youngest and last to get the pleasure. Since my grandmother had passed the year of the coveted 8th grade graduation, my trip was postponed. I was told by my parents that it may never happen because it would be to hard on grandpa. But as I said, my grandpa was a man of great class and he wasn't about to let me be disappointed. I flew out and spent a week with this incredible man. He taught me to waltz, we had long talks and listened to old Broadway records. He asked me questions about myself and we laughed for hours. At the end of this trip, as I was getting on the plane, my grandfather said to me, "This is the last time I will see you kiddo." I said, "No it's not grandpa I'll be back." He then said, "You will but I will be gone. "He knew then that he was not long for this world.

Within the next 3 months he passed away, after a game of tennis with his friends at the club. He leisurely strolled back to his table to sip his Manhattan and share some laughs when he sighed out loud about the loss on the court that day he folded his arms and was gone.

The family all joined for his services and it seemed like the entire town came out to pay their respects. Everyone that knew him had kind and wonderful words to share. Lots of laughter about his life and his life with Grandma, saying that we all knew they were together. At the viewing I had asked my father if I could have Grandpa's glasses. Everyone thought that was a little weird, but I wanted them .It was such a personal thing for him everyday to HAVE to wear them and they were always with him. I wanted him to always be with me.

That night after the funeral my father, step mom, sister, cousins, aunt and uncle all stayed at my grandparents home. Everyone going to different rooms except myself and my older sister, we shared a spare room with a pull out sofa bed. As we lie there talking about Grandpa and how we missed him we decided to turn off the light and call it a night. Just as I shut off the light and laid back down the door just cracked open enough to let the hallway night light come in, we heard a soft calming "goodnight girls" and we responded with "goodnight" and the door closed. Immediately my sister and I said "THAT WAS GRANDPA..." not scared but excited. We decided we better ask our family the next day to see if any of them were up and did that. Not surprisingly at all, NO ONE was up, nor did they open our door that night.

My sister and I know without a shadow of a doubt that Grandpa said goodnight that night in his sweet way of telling us he was OK and we can be too.

Other hauntings by Becky

Hauntings with similar titles

Find ghost hunters and paranormal investigators from Florida

Comments about this paranormal experience

The following comments are submitted by users of this site and are not official positions by yourghoststories.com. Please read our guidelines and the previous posts before posting. The author, Becky, has the following expectation about your feedback: I will read the comments and participate in the discussion.

masha (9 posts)
-4
11 years ago (2013-06-01)
I'm sorry to say Becky, but this is not a Paranormal Activity... If a person once die, he or she or even their spirit won't come to disturb you, or even greet you, because once a person is dead his or her body remains not their spirits... And they won't come to life again in this earth... One life in earth is for all the human beings, they won't be reborn until the resurrection day... So I kindly advice you that, its not good to believe that a dead person's body or spirit will come to tell you he or she is okay... 😕 But I understand your feelings about your Late Grandfather... It is surely something you felt, because you love your Grandfather a lot... And I respect your feelings towards your grandfather... 😊 <3
Becky (3 stories) (11 posts)
 
16 years ago (2008-06-16)
Thank you to everyone for your lovely replies. To this day my sister and I still talk about this incident and I know that it warms our hearts to know that he was for sure there that night. I noticed years later a tear on the "INSIDE" of the glasses, that was not there the day of the funeral and I left it there. I know that that was not a tear of sadness from my grandpa but more of a tear that we had to be apart for a time. He cared very much for all his family and loved to be close and give lots of hugs and kisses.

I wish this wonderful experience on anyone dealing with a loss of a loved one, it really did help with the grieving process as we knew he was right there with us.
southerngirl0000 (1 posts)
 
16 years ago (2008-06-15)
WHOA!
This is insane... Something like this happened to me too!
Except I was alone, and he didn't say anything he just sat there staring at me...
Tonith (1136 posts)
 
16 years ago (2008-06-15)
This story brought tears to my eyes. It's sincerity is so obvious I don't doubt for a minute that it actually happened. The fact that both of you had the same experience only doubles the validity. I envy that kind of relationship being that while I loved many relatives that passed and was close to some I have never had that kind of validation. My 2 sisters and I all had experiences that were comforting to us when our mother passed but not to the extent you and your sister did. That was down right amazing and beautiful. He must have been one heck of a man. Hope you get another visit somewhere along the line but maybe that was the final goodbye until you are with him once again in the next life. What a joyous reunion that will be. This is the kind of story that should make unbelievers in an afterlife believers.
Bellissima (12 stories) (792 posts)
 
16 years ago (2008-06-13)
Becky, that's lovely. Your devotion to your Grandpa didn't go unnoticed by him.You're lucky to have had a sweet goodbye from him. Your story really touched my heart. Thank you for sharing it.
rhodes68 (14 stories) (1596 posts)
 
16 years ago (2008-06-13)
That was an amazing story Becky about an amazing man!

I can relate to your need to keep Grandpa's glasses since I kept my grandpa's watch. I also wanted to keep his memory close to my heart by doing that but I guess, having such loving men as grandfathers in our lives was enough to fill us with memories that we will cherish for the rest of our lives.

I'm sure it was him saying "goodnight" and I also bet he wasn't alone that night.

May God Rest their Souls!
claire_da_bear1234 (1 posts)
 
16 years ago (2008-06-13)
that's so sweet.
your granddad must have been so close to you.
my uncle just past away and I wish something like that could happen to me and my cousin
Jennifer40 (20 stories) (202 posts)
 
16 years ago (2008-06-12)
What a wonderful experience! He sounded like a wonderful man, too. I like how he taught you how to Waltz and that it must have been such an honor for him to be able to show you --and that you were so interested in learning. You don't see that very often these days.

Thanks so much for sharing this great story with us.

Jennifer ❤
KimSouthO (27 stories) (1960 posts)
 
16 years ago (2008-06-11)
What a beautiful and heart touching story! It is a wonderful tribute to your Grand Father, a man you obviously loved dearly.

I always find it amazing that our dear loved ones will find a way to ease our burdens and our grief.

Thank you for sharing your story with us!
God Bless!

To publish a comment or vote, you need to be logged in (use the login form at the top of the page). If you don't have an account, sign up, it's free!

Search this site: