You are here: Real Ghost Stories :: Family / Friends Visits :: Farewell From Grandpa

Real Ghost Stories

Farewell From Grandpa

 

I am new to the site. I have had four distinctly different experiences but the following story was the first.

My ex-husband's grandfather lived in Melville, Johannesburg and in 1987 he became very ill. My mother-in-law decided to take him to live with them in Vereeniging (approx. 70km from Johannesburg), until he was well enough to return home. As they were worried about leaving his home unoccupied they asked us to move in, which we did.

Unfortunately grandpa took a bad turn, ending up in hospital where he passed away.

As grandma was buried in Johannesburg, grandpa was laid to rest beside her and all the family gathered at grandpa's (our) house to bid a final farewell. At this stage all grandpa's belongings and furniture was still in the house.

The day after the funeral, I lay my children (daughter of 18 months and son of 4 years) down for a nap and was sitting in the lounge where I dozed off. Now, I'm not sure if I was awake or dreaming but I heard a sound from the bedroom and sat up to see what it was.

I saw grandpa coming around the corner from the bedroom into the lounge, dressed in a black suit, white shirt and black tie with a black hat on his head. His face was dirty as if he had rubbed ground onto it. He was smiling and looked directly at me. I was not in the least bit scared and said "Grandpa, what are you doing here? You died." Grandpa just kept smiling and walked approximately half a meter past the front of me, straight to the front door, opened it, turned and smiled again, then walked out the door. At this stage I "woke up".

The following morning my son told me he saw grandpa smiling at him through the window. Also, the maid (who had worked for grandpa for over 30 years) told me that grandpa had awoken her during the night, to water his plants, which she has neglected to do after promising him she would take care of them. And, my mother-in-law and husband had also seen him that night.

While discussing all the sightings I described to my mother-in-law what grandpa had looked like when I saw him and she confirmed that he was dressed exactly the same when he was buried. Now, I had not seen his body at any stage, nor had anyone even mentioned the way he had been dressed.

I never saw grandpa again but sincerely believe that he came to say goodbye and to show he was happy that we decided to live in his house until the estate had been settled.

I hope you enjoyed my story and sincerely welcome you to submit your comments.

Other hauntings by annie16

Hauntings with similar titles

Find ghost hunters and paranormal investigators from South Africa

Comments about this paranormal experience

The following comments are submitted by users of this site and are not official positions by yourghoststories.com. Please read our guidelines and the previous posts before posting. The author, annie16, has the following expectation about your feedback: I will read the comments and participate in the discussion.

Fergie (40 stories) (1159 posts)
 
8 years ago (2016-09-05)
Hi Annie,

It was my guess that the maid would freak out. The African nations don't view the spirit world as we do. ๐Ÿ˜‰

I wish I could have been a fly on the wall to see that episode. ๐Ÿ˜†
annie16 (13 stories) (53 posts)
+1
8 years ago (2016-09-05)
Hi Fergie.

Yes, the maid totally freaked out. In fact she stood up at 2am to water the plants in the hot house and then continued to do as grandpa requested until the day we moved. She was determined to follow his wishes so that she wouldn't get another visit from him.๐Ÿ˜Š
Fergie (40 stories) (1159 posts)
 
8 years ago (2016-09-04)
Hi Annie, I don't know how I missed this account. I usually look out for narratives from my country-folk.

How lovely that Grandpa took the time to appear to all those that mattered to him.
Incidentally, how did the maid react to being wakened by Grandpa; did she freak out?

Thanks for posting this beautiful narrative. ๐Ÿ˜Š
annie16 (13 stories) (53 posts)
 
9 years ago (2015-07-29)
Thank you Hecate. I have just posted my second story "Farewell from dad" and it should be posted shortly.

Tweed, my family is very open minded. My mom has "seen" since she was a child and my sisters and brothers have all experienced something in their lives. I very seldom see but can "feel" and instinctively know "why" someone is around. Fortunately I do not scare easily so I am very calm when something does happen. But, as I stated in this post, my experiences are few and far between.
Hecate0 (4 stories) (418 posts)
 
9 years ago (2015-07-27)
Annie, thanks for sharing your positive encounter. ๐Ÿ˜Š I look forward to reading more of your encounters. Your response to seeing him is terrific, "Grandpa, what are you doing here? You died." Again, thanks for sharing.

Hecate ๐Ÿ˜†
annie16 (13 stories) (53 posts)
 
9 years ago (2015-07-27)
Thank you all for the lovely comments. I will share my other experiences soon. ๐Ÿ˜
lady-glow (16 stories) (3154 posts)
 
9 years ago (2015-07-24)
Annie: this is such a nice story.
I'm looking forwards to read the rest of your experiences.

Thanks for sharing.
Tweed (35 stories) (2494 posts)
+1
9 years ago (2015-07-24)
Annie this is so beautiful and thanks so much for sharing it with us.

Visitations from loved ones shortly after they have passed is very common. It's known as a 'visitation dream'. You're lucky to have an open minded family and were able to share details in the way you did. ๐Ÿ˜Š I guess your Grandpa chose to show himself that way as it made sense to him, in a confirming manner, that he was really as he seemed; there in spirit.
It really goes to show the importance of keeping an open mind. I wonder if some if my non-believer friends shared their 'visitation dreams' more openly if the same details matched with their loved ones.

Thanks again for sharing.
sheetal (6 stories) (771 posts)
+1
9 years ago (2015-07-24)
This is sweet story... Grandpa visited each one of you... Loved to read... ๐Ÿ˜
valkricry (49 stories) (3268 posts) mod
+1
9 years ago (2015-07-23)
annie,
That is so cool that not just you but others as well witnessed Grandpa's farewell. Obviously, if so many others had seen him too, you were not dreaming. ๐Ÿ˜Š

To publish a comment or vote, you need to be logged in (use the login form at the top of the page). If you don't have an account, sign up, it's free!

Search this site: