You are here: Real Ghost Stories :: Family / Friends Visits :: Goodnight Charlie

Real Ghost Stories

Goodnight Charlie

 

This is going back to my first experience with the paranormal and I am happy to say it was a good experience for me.

Firstly let me paint the picture for you, as a child growing up there was a very friendly old guy named Charlie who lived in the next street from me and our back gardens were facing each other. Back then there was only a small wooden fence separating the 2 gardens and I would stand chatting to Charlie while he tended his garden. He loved to grow rhubarb and would give some to my mum when it was ready. He would love to listen to what all us kids (there were 7 of us) had done at school and whatever we wanted to chat about and he would give us humbug sweets to eat. At night when we went to bed, my room (which I shared with 2 of my brothers Robert and Tim) faced Charlie's back bedroom and we would shout "good night Charlie" from the window and he would wave to us.

One day just before my 8th birthday I came home from school and found my mum in the kitchen crying with Charlie's daughter I can't recall her name now. I asked my mum why she was crying and she told me to sit down, she then told me that Charlie had gone shopping in the town centre and had just fell over and died from a massive heart attack. I was very upset by this news and ran to my bedroom and went straight to the window, looking into Charlie's garden and cried myself to sleep.

A few days later on the day of Charlie's funeral I told my mum I was ill and did not go to school, mum and a few others on the street went to Charlie's funeral and a family friend sat with me. I went to my room so I could say good bye to Charlie, as I stood in my window looking towards Charlie's house I said "good night Charlie sleep tight" and then I saw Charlie waving at me from his bedroom. I did not know what was happening I knew Charlie could not be waving at me but there he was waving and smiling just like normal.

I told myself I had imagined it and went down stairs to wait for my mum to come home, but that night I decided to say good night to Charlie again so I got my brothers to stand with me and say like we all ways used to "good night Charlie" we all saw Charlie waving back to us my brother Tim screamed Robert jumped in to bed and pulled the covers over his head I just stood there waving, mum came running in to see why Tim was screaming "Charlie's waving" I told her she looked but he had gone.

Mum told us we had imagined it and to get to bed but for the next week I stood and said "goodnight Charlie" from my window and he would be there waving. After a week it stopped Charlie was not there when I said goodnight it hurt but I knew that even though I could not see him that he would still be around, I don't know how I knew this at the time but I felt it.

I still think about him 29 years later when I get some humbug sweets or smell elastic band it always make me smile.

Thank you for reading my first (of many) story I hope you enjoy it as much as I have telling it

Other hauntings by taz890

Hauntings with similar titles

Find ghost hunters and paranormal investigators from United Kingdom

Comments about this paranormal experience

The following comments are submitted by users of this site and are not official positions by yourghoststories.com. Please read our guidelines and the previous posts before posting. The author, taz890, has the following expectation about your feedback: I will read the comments and participate in the discussion.

KRYSTALLIA (64 posts)
 
12 years ago (2011-10-29)
Grandma Taz, this is going to my favourites! That was very sweet of Charlie! Really enjoyed the read...

❤ Krys
taz890 (12 stories) (1380 posts)
 
12 years ago (2011-10-14)
fanny glad you liked the story it is one of my own favs, and I never did find out how rubbarb became elastic bands lol
Granny taz ❤
Fanny (2 stories) (105 posts)
 
12 years ago (2011-10-14)
Grandma Taz, I loved your story but I did wonder about the elastic bands. Glad you explained that, I was really confused!

Best,
Fanny ❤
taz890 (12 stories) (1380 posts)
 
13 years ago (2011-09-13)
reallifeexp thanks for the comment and I hope you enjoy the others 😁
Carl
Reallifeexp (6 stories) (12 posts)
+1
13 years ago (2011-09-12)
Taz890,

That was a great first story. I am definately on my way to read more of your tales! 😳
taz890 (12 stories) (1380 posts)
 
13 years ago (2011-08-21)
thanks terrilewis (I think lol)
Ok so not a stalker or troll taking note of this now thanks for the info 😊
Carl
TerriLewis123 (1 stories) (93 posts)
-2
13 years ago (2011-08-20)
This is my second time reading this story. I'm a bit infatuated with the author because of the nice post he left about my story. (Don't worry, I'm not a stalker, & while looks may be deceiving, I don't think I'm a troll either! 😊. And I think you're right, it's how you feel.
taz890 (12 stories) (1380 posts)
 
13 years ago (2011-07-20)
thankyou dragon its never late just delayed 😊
Im glad you enjoyed the story there is plenty for you to get through
Carl ❤
DragonStorm80 (1 stories) (440 posts)
+1
13 years ago (2011-07-20)
Tazzy ~ WHat a sweet story! I know I'm late with my reply (actually doing my homework and reading through everyones stories 😲) How sweet of him to want to say goodbye to you all again, I really liked this story ❤
taz890 (12 stories) (1380 posts)
 
13 years ago (2011-05-12)
nighthawkman thanks for the comment glad you enjoyed.
I hope you noticed my comment the other day where it says rubber bands I wrote rubbarb no idea how got changed though lol

Will keep an eye out for your update hope it gets on soon 😊
nighthawkman (3 stories) (15 posts)
 
13 years ago (2011-05-12)
Hi taz890, yes your right I did enjoy this story very much. I can relate entirely how smells stegthen your memory too. Glad you loved my story, I have a little more to add and sent another email to the site so hopefully it can be rectified with an added picture
😁
taz890 (12 stories) (1380 posts)
 
13 years ago (2011-05-09)
ahh I see big notice on comp now no feeding the ruddy trolls thanks for enlightening me to there naff and annoying existance ❤ 😆
taz890 (12 stories) (1380 posts)
 
13 years ago (2011-05-09)
HANG ON! WHATS THIS!? ELASTIC BANDS!?!
How on earth did that get in? I wrote rhubarb!
How would smelling elastic bands remind me of him?
Bet all who read that bit wondered too as not mentioned in story!?!
zzsgranny (18 stories) (3329 posts) mod
 
13 years ago (2011-05-09)
Taz: A troll is a person who goes on site and acts like an a$$ to provoke the posters into arguments... No one knows their origins, or why they exist, but I'd say you are amoung the few who can kick troll butt... The only problem is, the more attention you give them ("feed" them) the worse their personalities become, and the more often they show their ugly heads...

So yeah, don't feed the trolls! 😆 ❤
taz890 (12 stories) (1380 posts)
+2
13 years ago (2011-05-09)
zzsgranny thank you,
Again the voice of commen sence speaks out ❤
Whats the troll bit though?
Javelina (4 stories) (3749 posts)
+5
13 years ago (2011-05-09)
ghostsdigme,
Now that you've confessed, do you feel better?
You think this is funny? Bored at work so you come here to make fun of people you don't know? Oh, you're just a bundle of laughs. Kill any kittens lately?
How are you being funny? Explain that to the people here, we really would like to know want it is you find so hilarious making fun of people who've never done a thing to you. Please tell me you didn't torture any innocent pets as a child, because you do sound like the type. Funny? Not a chance. Cruel? Most definitely. Moron? Oh yes, you fit the bill alright.
zzsgranny (18 stories) (3329 posts) mod
+6
13 years ago (2011-05-09)
ghostsdigme: You may be bored at work, so how 'bout working?...

Really, please understand that those of us who've posted accounts on this site take them seriously, and trolls are niether invited or welcomed...

Everyone please don't feed the troll, she has work to do! 😆
taz890 (12 stories) (1380 posts)
+4
13 years ago (2011-05-09)
ghostsdigme you say that you came on here joking around with others stories oh what a laugh!
But I did say in this one you were barking up the wrong tree but you carried on so I bit back and as for hummor you don't know me at all check some other stories for my comments and see funny.
What you did was not funny at all to be honest your atempt at funny fell flat on its face I don't hear any laughing.
taz890 (12 stories) (1380 posts)
 
13 years ago (2011-05-09)
cosmo know what you mean but I got to buy it first lol
Not in my collection as yet

This comment from ghostsdigme is hidden due to low rating. Show comment

taz890 (12 stories) (1380 posts)
+3
13 years ago (2011-05-09)
whoo hoo ghostsdigme no reply? You stopped worrying yet?
Let me guess your getting ready for a kindergarden job so you can tell all the sweet little kiddys that loki has taken over santa,
Buchered the raindeer for meat,
Kept rudolfs noes for a laugh,
Poured boiling water down the easterbunnys warren cooking him in hot chocolate,
Beaten the sandman to death with his bag of sand and choked the tooth fairy to death by shoving the money ment to be left under pillows into her mouth.
Oh and then blown his own head off with a sawn off shotgun.
Close? Even warm?
As you can see your not the only one who can talk total shiate!
Thanks for listening
cosmogal926 (9 stories) (1223 posts)
+1
13 years ago (2011-05-09)
You're welcome taz. LOL! Now I want to go home and watch the dvd. That movie was hysterical. 😆 😆 ❤
taz890 (12 stories) (1380 posts)
+2
13 years ago (2011-05-09)
cosmogal thank you ❤ knew I had heard that ruddy name some where before
cosmogal926 (9 stories) (1223 posts)
+6
13 years ago (2011-05-09)
Hey ghostsdigme it seems like you are obsessed with Loki the god of mischief, and like taz pointed out he seems to have role in a handful of stories so far on this site. I can't help but think of the movie The Mask and am picturing this thing running around in a green mask saying SSSMOKIN'!
Javelina (4 stories) (3749 posts)
+5
13 years ago (2011-05-09)
ghostsdigme,
Whoa! Slow down there hun, you're going to hurt yourself if you're not careful.
Running around like your hair's on fire and screaming "Loki, Loki, Loki!" will accomplish nothing. Take a deep breath and let it out slowly, now relax. We're all here to help where we can, and you sound like you're in distress.
So tell me, what has you so wound up dear? You're obviously upset, so stop and catch your breath and then tell me what happened, I'm all ears.
taz890 (12 stories) (1380 posts)
+3
13 years ago (2011-05-09)
geetha50 thank you that's sweet putting me in favs ❤ yes charlie was a great person and I'm sure will be with me when needed. And no not negitive at all loving feeling in fact

Ghostsdigme oh only just started!
My post was not unfinished I was allowing you to add your own go f**k but I see that was like a plane in full flight, way over your head!?!
There is no need to worry about me I'm a big boy now and imaginary poltergeist (oh and I noticed sexual demon too) getting me I can happly dismiss its existance and not worry one tiny bit, your turn!
geetha50 (15 stories) (986 posts)
+2
13 years ago (2011-05-09)
ghostsdigme,
Where did that one come from? Like Taz said, if a spirit wanted to hurt someone, wouldn't s/he try to do that up close and personal? You are entitled to your opinions but where is the prove? Can you provide a link or something?

Also, there is something called a feeling. I don't think Taz felt any evil or negative energy towards him? (Taz, is that correct?)

Taz,
I think that what you have is a sweet memory of someone who you care about. My maternal grandmother always told me that people who you truly care about will always be there to protect you. Your story just goes to validate that point.

Like the other posters, this story is going to my favorites and so are you.

This comment from ghostsdigme is hidden due to low rating. Show comment

taz890 (12 stories) (1380 posts)
+2
13 years ago (2011-05-09)
oh no!?! Your barking up the wrong tree there ghostsdigme.
Be careful, this is an old tree and likly to drop a huge branch on ya.
For one your poltergeist idea is stupid they don't wave at people if they are seen at all
Why the hell would one wave across 2 gardens?
Why noy just pop on over and scare the s**t out of me in my own room?

I think your feeling a bit put out as I pulled up your comment and said it was to be honest a huge pile of steaming dung and now oh look heres loki pretending to be a sweet old man I knew as a kid please do us a favor and...

This comment from ghostsdigme is hidden due to low rating. Show comment

Read previous comments

To publish a comment or vote, you need to be logged in (use the login form at the top of the page). If you don't have an account, sign up, it's free!

Search this site: