You are here: Real Ghost Stories :: Family / Friends Visits :: Grandpa's Goodbye

Real Ghost Stories

Grandpa's Goodbye

 

Growing was extremely close to my step-grandfather. He was like the dad I never knew. However, this also meant I had him wrapped around my finger, I admit. I was a spoilt child. As long as I behaved, I'd get what I wanted, and if I teased him all day about it, I would get it even faster. (I said I was spoilt!)

In the fall of '08, I was just starting my first quarter of college (no summer breaks.) He hadn't been feeling well, and around Thanksgiving he took a turn for the worse. One trip the the hospital later, we discover he had leukemia. The doctors put him on oxygen, did blood transfusions, and started him on chemo. Sadly it would be to late and on December 3rd, he was taken off life support.

Since I couldn't bear to see him hooked up as he had been, I hadn't visited at the hospital, except for one time. So I was waiting at home on the day he passed. It was around 11:30 AM. I was sitting at the computer, with the cordless phone next to me. We also had one with the cord in the computer room. Now that phone was across the room, and if we were getting a call, it would read out the number, then ring. It was also faster than the cordless. It had also never malfunctioned for as long as we had it.

So I was procrastinating in my homework, hopping around on the internet, when the phone, across the room starts reading out "Seven, seven, seven." I now curious, wait to see it out would continue. It didn't, so I returned to my web surfing. I click a link, the phone one again reads "seven, seven, seven." Again, I wait, the phone calls silent once more. By this time I know something is going on, so I try talking with the spirit, not one peep out of the phone.

Now slightly worried, I returned to surfing the internet a third time. The phone speaks up as soon as I turn away. "Seven, seven, seven, seven." I then get hit by the feeling of peace and love. Not long after I get a call from my grandmother at the hospital, informing me he had passed. The only thing I could do was give a sad smile, and reply. "I know, he's said goodbye to me." When we hung up I said my goodbye to him, and cried.

Other hauntings by DragonLuvrD

Hauntings with similar titles

Find ghost hunters and paranormal investigators from Ohio

Comments about this paranormal experience

The following comments are submitted by users of this site and are not official positions by yourghoststories.com. Please read our guidelines and the previous posts before posting. The author, DragonLuvrD, has the following expectation about your feedback: I will read the comments and participate in the discussion.

lady-glow (16 stories) (3149 posts)
+1
9 years ago (2015-09-06)
Msforgetmenott: I, too, get those annoying phone calls from "Windows technical support", my best defense is to answer in a mix of Spanish and broken English: " me no ingles, me no ingles "...they always give up! 😆

Dragon: thanks for sharing this touching experience.
msforgetmenott (17 stories) (316 posts)
+2
9 years ago (2015-09-05)
Hi Dragon,
Well done Biblio.
I only wanted to mention, in this high tec. World we live in despite our greatest efforts to suppress it we still receive unwanted sales calls. The numbers have become quite unusual, at this point we have even had several calls that show only our number. We are not calling ourselves. In addition, we have had calls that read as many as 20 or more numbers, I have even seen 000-000-0000. Often there are calls that show only one town over, as we know several people from that town, we answer, it is a sales call from Sates away. There are the calls that tell you in broken English that we see you are having trouble with your windows in your computer... That one is a valid scam, as we traced it to the fact that if you fall for it, before you know it you have lost all control of your computer, while they scan it for bank and credit card numbers.
I simply wanted to say, while you are so sure this number had meaning and for you it did, this is often not the case.
rookdygin (24 stories) (4458 posts)
+2
9 years ago (2015-09-05)
Biblio,

Pythagoras kind of sorta set the foundations for numerology. So it's got kind of a long history.

Meanings were assigned to the base numbers 1-9 and any number over 9 has to be broken down into single didgit form...

Example: 666 = 6+6+6=18=1+8=9

9 means: helpful, compassionate.

777 = 7+7+7=21=2+1=3

3 means: expressive, tolerant, joyful.

That is very basic but does show how to break down larger numbers.

Loved the points you made...

Respectfully,

Rook
Bibliothecarius (9 stories) (1091 posts)
+4
9 years ago (2015-09-05)
Greetings Dragon.

While I am likely to be the typed-message equivalent of a bucket of cold water, here, I should stress that the number dialed (7) was possibly the simplest option available for your newly-deceased Grandfather to communicate with you; however, I can't find any particular significance to triple-seven, then its repetition, followed by FOUR more sevens (If I read your narrative correctly). The subsequent feeling of peace and love, however, seems to be the evidence you needed to know the call was from your Grandfather. That -insubstantial as it appears to objective readers- was your gut reaction. Many of us (Tweed, Miracles, Hecate, and Rook spring to mind) recommend listening to that internal response as a guide to dealing with paranormal events.

Now, for a Religious History discourse on 666, 777, and 999.
In the original Hebrew, 666 is the number of Man (Gematria is a peculiar discipline, practiced by Jewish Kabbalists to explore/justify/create connections between the biblical texts Genesis through Deuteronomy). John acknowledges 666 as the number of man, which will also be the number of the antichrist in John's Book of the Revelation; a book which he wrote while living in a cave, half-starved, in the Mediterranean heat of the isle of Patmos. (No, I'm not at all suggesting hallucinations brought about by heatstroke, malnutrition, or dehydration were a factor.)

This would suggest that triple-6 is, in fact, a Biblical quote, not a number for general evildoers to flaunt; it has nothing to do with "The Devil" or "Lucifer" or "Satan" who are NOT the same individual because they've got three different origins. Lucifer is the one that is mentioned in the Bible, but it is a physical object: it was a star which used to clear the horizon just ahead of sunrise, but went nova, as recorded by Isaiah, then mis-translated into the Vulgate Bible by "Saint" Jerome to corroborate the inclusion of Satan -or Sathaan- into Christianity.

Several passages of John's tale appear to have been lifted directly from both the prophecies in The Book of Daniel and the prophecies contained in The Book of Enoch. Enoch, Noah's Grandfather (maybe Great-Grandfather?), was writing at least 500 years earlier in the traditional interpretation, the texts were included in the Dead Sea Scrolls, and are quoted in the book of Jude, yet they have not been included in the 66-books of the Christian Bible, (73 if you're Catholic), unlike Daniel's work, which has a shakier provenance, as it was written in Hebrew by a war-slave/exile in Babylon in the 6th Century, BCE. (Note: some recent scholars have suggested that the writings attributed to Enoch were written LATER than Daniel's work, around the 4th Century, BCE.) Daniel's description of the end if the world says it will begin after seven "sevens" and sixty-two "sevens" (whatever the hell THAT is supposed to mean). No mention of Three Sevens, though.

Triple-7, on the other hand, has never been identified in Gematria as anything to do with God. It is forbidden for religious Jews to write down the name of God, thus performing Gematria on it would be hideous sacrilege. Triple-7 is considered "Lucky" insofar as the Vegas Slot Machines go, but luck and God seldom have much in common. If anyone does do a Gematria-style breakdown of God's name (I'd discourage it, but you never know), don't forget that there isn't a letter "j" in Hebrew.

Looking up just "999" leads to webpages about "angel numbers" whatever they are. I can't find any reference to 999 and death that doesn't have anything to do with calling the Emergency Services in Britain (It's easier for kids to memorize than 911, as all they have to do is use the same digit 3 times).

I'm curious as to where these numerical values and their connection to the metaphysical universe began. If it does have a bearing on Dragon's experiences, this could be profoundly useful; my fear is that speculation based on claims for which I cannot find a source is leading a Teenaged Member of YGS down an erroneous path.

If there is someone who can substantiate the data, I'll be thrilled to learn something new.
-Biblio.
DragonLuvrD (6 stories) (12 posts)
+1
9 years ago (2015-09-04)
[at] razorback
It was honestly just a guess, since that phone had never acted like this before, or since.

[at] Tweed
No, no real significance. He was a skeptic who tolerated Granny and my belief in the paranormal. I always think the 7s were him admitting we were right, it's real.
😆

[at] Red
Thank you, it's horrible losing loved ones, even worse when it's around holidays. I will admit, I didn't know that about 777.
RedWolf (31 stories) (1292 posts)
+1
9 years ago (2015-09-04)
DragonLuvrD
I am so sorry for your loss. I lost my mother on Mothers Day of '08.

Razorback & Tweed
Everyone knows that 666 is the Devils number I thought everyone knew that 777 was Gods (or Heavens number) and of course deaths number is 999.

To lighten the mood about 8 or 9 years ago a Priest and his congregation were all upset that the prefix of there telephone number was 666 a number I long knew was in that town. They actually got the newspaper involved to have it changed to 665 another prefix for that town because they didn't want to pay to change the number.
Regards
Red
Tweed (33 stories) (2475 posts)
+1
9 years ago (2015-09-04)
Hi Dragon,

This is a very moving and emotional experience. You clearly loved him very deeply. Thank you for sharing with us. ❤
I hope you don't mind my asking, were the numbers, or number 7 significant in some way to you, your step Grandpa or perhaps a religious significance?

Take care.
razorback95 (2 stories) (48 posts)
+1
9 years ago (2015-09-03)
I do have a question and do not take it offensively I'm really curious. What made you assume by the second time that this was a spirit and not something else? Was it a feeling? Or have you had stuff like this occur before? Just curious. I also want to say I'm very very sorry for your loss. But even though you didn't get to say good bye face to face I'm sure you two got to say your final good byes and you both knew. Very very touching story. Thank you for sharing!

Razor

To publish a comment or vote, you need to be logged in (use the login form at the top of the page). If you don't have an account, sign up, it's free!

Search this site: