You are here: Real Ghost Stories :: Haunted Places :: Chased By Something

Real Ghost Stories

Chased By Something

 

Back when I was in high school, my grandparents and I had to move from the home we had been renting for several years. Now, my grandparents are religious but not devout Christians. They didn't go to church but they prayed every night. I, on the other hand, hadn't been comfortable with my faith since I had left my third home. (My parents were arrested even I was a toddler, and my great-grandmother raised me until I was 7.) So I was agnostic I suppose. My grandmother and I are both sensitive to spirits, and do try to find logical explanations for what happens.

Back to the house hunting. Now, it was a beautiful spring day, we had an appointment to see a house in Mahoning County so we pulled up to this nice farmhouse. A cute little Grape Arbor, prefect for reading under, was outside. (I am an avid reader and had read several stories here before posting this. I've also read Haunted Ohio, and this was not near any locations listed there. But remember the book for later.) The house itself was a cheerful pale yellow, and while needing a few fix ups, was in beautiful condition. I wandered the yard a few moments then went inside.

When entering the front door, you had the living room to the right. Stairs going up to the left, the center took you to the ground floor bedroom, bathroom, and kitchen. I went upstairs first. Nothing unusual happened. Same in the living room. Now, the living room had a wooden coffee table with magazines all over, a couch blocking off part of the entrance to the living room, a chair against another wall. On top of the bookcase was a thin TV... And a small bookcase along the wall. I made my way to the kitchen, which also lead to the basement which my Grandpa was looking at.

Grandma was checking out the kitchen, so I began helping her with it. In the kitchen there was the refrigerator, chained up oddly enough, on one wall, with an oven next to it. Along the other wall there was the counter space, with a sink under the window. Along the wall that you pass by when entering was the entrance to the basement. We both looked at the countertop, it was covered in dead insects. This wouldn't be a problem, dead bugs could be cleaned away.

We looked out at the nice backyard. Checked the windowsill for any damage and noticed more dead bugs. Again we shrugged this off. That was when the house turned from welcoming, to very unwelcoming. My grandma and I looked at each other, and tried ignoring the feeling. It could have been because we were in someone's home afterall.

Once the kitchen examination was done, we were talking about the place, when the feeling got stronger. It felt like this something was getting very angry we were there. Soon it gave the feeling of harming us if we didn't leave. Well, in order to hopefully calm it down, we hurried back to the door. In passing the living room, we glanced in again. And on the coffee table was a book that hasn't been sitting there before. "Haunted Ohio", a book we had talked about getting because we enjoyed it.

The spirit or whatever noticed us looking. And gave a warning that if we take it (which the odd thing is my grandmother was about to try, and she never steals), it would follow us. So out the door we go. Thinking we would be safe because the feeling went away, we sat under the Grape Arbor, to wait for my Grandpa. The feeling returned then, just as strong. In fear, my Grandmother and I both ran to the van and climbed in, refusing to step back out, or crack open a window. My grandfather returned a few minutes later. We asked it he felt anything, to which he replied no. Then asked if we liked the house. My skin paled, and I quickly replied "No!" At the same time as my grandmother.

To this day we still talk about it. And still can't figure out out...

Other hauntings by DragonLuvrD

Hauntings with similar titles

Find ghost hunters and paranormal investigators from Ohio

Comments about this paranormal experience

The following comments are submitted by users of this site and are not official positions by yourghoststories.com. Please read our guidelines and the previous posts before posting. The author, DragonLuvrD, has the following expectation about your feedback: I will read the comments and participate in the discussion.

DragonLuvrD (6 stories) (12 posts)
+2
9 years ago (2015-03-19)
As far as I know we weren't the only family to be shown the house, I don't know how long the place had been for sale though. If I remember correctly, the realtor said they had other buyers going to look at it that day. But not sure, my grandfather dealt more with the realtor. I was just along to see the houses, and possibly where I would live next.
Sam222 (8 stories) (461 posts)
+1
9 years ago (2015-03-18)
All I can say is that this Experiance was very odd. There was obviously something wrong with that house, and it's got me wondering what exactly was in the house. Who knows.
zzsgranny (18 stories) (3329 posts) mod
 
9 years ago (2015-03-17)
DragonLuvr: I agree with Miracles and in fact, it's a law in Ohio that refrigerator doors be secured when not in use:
Http://codes.ohio.gov/orc/3767.29

Aside from that, I think it's always a good idea to be comfortable in a new environment so leaving and never looking back was the best thing you did 😆.
Miracles51031 (39 stories) (4999 posts) mod
 
9 years ago (2015-03-17)
DragonLuverD - the only comment I have is about the refrigerator. Sometimes, when a place is not lived in people will secure (chain/padlock, etc) the refrigerator to prevent a child from climbing in it and getting trapped.
rookdygin (24 stories) (4458 posts)
+1
9 years ago (2015-03-17)
DL,

Do you know if this was the first time the home was being shown for renting or sale? I ask because if this was a spirit of one of orignal home occupants it could explain the hostile feeling experienced by you and your Grandmother.

Just a thought...

Respectfully,

Rook

To publish a comment or vote, you need to be logged in (use the login form at the top of the page). If you don't have an account, sign up, it's free!

Search this site: