You are here: Real Ghost Stories :: Pets / Animals :: Max Is Watching

Real Ghost Stories

Max Is Watching

 

For everyone that has had a pet at any part of their life, you know of that bond you get with them. Especially if it is/was a dog or cat. They come to be like another sibling almost. Your best friend. You fear loosing them. You fear coming home from school or work, and your best bud is not sitting on the bottom stair just inside the door like he does every time you walk through the door. For those of you that know that feeling, you will enjoy this story.

Before I was born, my parents got a Doberman Retriever: Max. He was an extremely well trained dog for being a Doberman. I can remember my parents putting one of those plastic fire fighter hats on me and putting me on his back and riding around the house. I can remember whenever my brother, sister or myself got hurt and started crying, he was the first at our side. He was like a second father to us. And every day when I got home from school, Max would either be sitting at the top of the stairs outside the front door with my dad or mom, or he would be sitting on the second step of the stairs just inside the front door, excitedly waiting for the sound of the bus to drop me off and come walking through the door. Just like clockwork every day. But I will never forget that day when he was not there.

No jumping mass of dog nearly taking me to the ground. No wet tongue licking my entire face in excitement. I instantly knew something was wrong. My parents told my brother, sister and I later that night what had happened. Max had gotten liver cancer and couldn't eat or go to the bathroom. He was 14 years old at this point, which is old for a Doberman. This was before much was known on how to treat cancer for even people, let alone animals. My parents decided to put him to sleep so he would not suffer the pain. They got him cremated and he is still a part of our family. Sitting right by the fireplace, where he loved to lay while we all watched television. I knew I would never have another dog like Max.

I do not remember how old I was when this happened. For some time after my parents put Max down, I was sad. So were my brother and sister. Our best friend was no longer by our side. We missed him so much. But a strange thing happened to me that at the time scared me a lot.

My twin brother and I shared a room our entire life up until I went to college. Bunk beds: I always slept on top, and he always slept on the bottom. It was fine when we were little, but eventually we got too big to share rooms. But within the year my parents put Max to sleep, I had these scary experiences. A week or so after they had him cremated, I would wake up in the middle of the night and see something walking towards me on the top bunk rail. It looked like a black dog. I could see through it, but it was distinctly a dog, staring directly at me with bright red eyes. It would walk up to me and stop inches away from my face and stare at me for a few seconds then disappear.

At my age then, it scared me a lot. What was this demon dog doing? Where did it come from? Was I just having a nightmare? I knew I was wide awake though. But I didn't want to believe it. Every night for the next several months, I would see this black dog with red eyes walk up to my face, and just stare at me. I tried to ignore it, but for some reason I couldn't. What was strange is that even though I was really scared, I did not feel in danger.

Eventually I stopped seeing this dog, and I never thought about it again for some years. Too this day I can still see the dog walking up to my face at night then disappear.

When I was in middle school, I was thinking about Max and the great times we had. I could still so clearly picture the demonic dog, and I thought about it. It looked just Like a Doberman; same build, nose, body... Then it hit me. It was Max checking up on me. When he was alive, he always knew when I was sad and he would come to my side to comfort me. And he was still in the house, just downstairs. It all made sense. That's why I did not feel in danger. He was just trying to comfort me how he always did. Just then I knew he would always be there to comfort me when I needed comforting.

I have not seen him in years. But if I ever do, Max, you will be welcomed with open arms.

Hauntings with similar titles

Find ghost hunters and paranormal investigators from New Jersey

Comments about this paranormal experience

The following comments are submitted by users of this site and are not official positions by yourghoststories.com. Please read our guidelines and the previous posts before posting. The author, mheitmeyer, has the following expectation about your feedback: I will read the comments and participate in the discussion.

otteer (8 stories) (398 posts)
 
8 years ago (2015-10-09)
Love the story. I had a visit by my cat who had passed, or, a cat, cause I couldn't see it, just feel it. Jumped on my bed walked right up to the curve behind my legs and plopped right down and curled up. I reached back to pet it... Nothing there. Of course I then remembered my cats were locked out of my room cause they keep me up!
Thanks for sharing!
mheitmeyer (1 stories) (3 posts)
+1
8 years ago (2015-10-08)
I would definitely believe that any pet can "stick around" to watch or remain a part of its family. I have yet to see Max since, but I wouldn't doubt that he has come and gone several times since. Thanks for the comments.
Kendog (1 posts)
+1
8 years ago (2015-09-29)
What a great story. Don't want to have a religious discussion but as an atheist it's hard for me to believe anything like this. Only the weird thing is we had a cat that passed away almost the same as max. We love tiger so much. And to this day I still talk to him and I always will like he's still here! We brought him home with us and I like to believe he is with my parents and sitting on my fathers lap (my dad loved animals and I'm just like him whereas animals gravitate towards me and just like me?!) I also like to think he watches our property for us and keeps us out of harms way (worldly and possibly otherworldly). I don't normally do these comments but I'm sorry for your loss and I'm glad you may have gained something through the loss of your dog. What a great story!
Bonifaz (2 stories) (51 posts)
 
8 years ago (2015-09-28)
Hello,
A beautiful story which is going to my favourites. I have a cat who is almost 16 years, but, let's knock on wood, in good shape. But one day she won't be there, anymore, and I am dreading that day. May it still be far far away.
zinn19 (1 stories) (6 posts)
 
8 years ago (2015-09-28)
A very beautiful and heart feel story. I love pets too a lot. I have a dog too. I wish him to be with me too as like you and max. I called him taffy. You Stay blessed and safe. 😊
Tweed (33 stories) (2475 posts)
 
8 years ago (2015-09-28)
Hi there Mheitmeyer,

What a beautiful heartfelt story, thank you for sharing, I absolutely loved reading it. 😊 Max lived to be an impressive age, good for him! I hope you get to see him again at some stage too.
There's another story on here about a Doberman with red eyes which may interest you. Like with you and Max this is a positive encounter, with a dog who seemed to be checking in. 😊

Okay, I tried to leave the link to that story here but I'm getting a message that it's too long to post. 😕 Oh well, it's called "Haunted by a Demonic Doberman".

To publish a comment or vote, you need to be logged in (use the login form at the top of the page). If you don't have an account, sign up, it's free!

Search this site: