You are here: Real Ghost Stories :: Haunted Places :: Deep, Heavy Breathing Ghost

Real Ghost Stories

Deep, Heavy Breathing Ghost

 

When I was young (I am now 30), I lived on a sheep-farm in a small town called Waikaka, New Zealand. The house we lived in was built by my grandfather (my dad's dad) and we had lived in it since at least from when I was born. I don't think it was always haunted, or maybe it was but the being was never able to manifest itself for years. Who knows.

I'm not entirely sure how old I was when the ghost activity began, but I know we moved out of that house a week after I turned 9, so I think it all began when I was about 5 or 6.

I have no doubt forgotten a bunch of the things that happened. I wish I had of written them down years ago while I still remembered them all, but nevertheless I still remember some of the experiences quite well, even though it has been over 20 years since it occurred.

The first night something happened to us, my dad was at the local pub (as he usually was), and my mum, myself, and my siblings (older brother and sister) were in the lounge (living room) watching Married with Children (funny some of the details I remember). My mum got into an argument with my siblings and sent them to bed, but I got to stay up for a bit longer. Eventually my mum and I also went to bed. I shared a room with my brother, which was adjacent to my parents bedroom, and my sister had her own room at the other end of the hallway.

I was drifting off to sleep when suddenly my sister is running down the hallway screaming. Apparently, she could hear deep, heavy breathing at the end of her bed. My mum could hear it too, though I can't remember if it was at the same time as my sister, or if my sister running down to my parent's bedroom brought the breathing ghost with her and that's when my mum heard it. Regardless, there was this ghost/spirit/whatever in our house doing this deep, heavy breathing and it was naturally freaking us all out.

My mum rung up my dad at the pub and told him to get home (he would usually stay there to very late). When he arrived he went through the house (with us all in tow), opening up every closet and door, trying to find what was making the noise (it had stopped by the time he came home). I remember he had a cricket bat (or golf club or something) in his hand, so I imagine he thought it was an intruder or, more likely, an animal of some kind. He never found anything and I don't think he believed it was a ghost. My dad, in fact, never experienced it himself for several months and I don't think he appreciated all the talk about it being a ghost. My dad had quite a temper back in those days and had been physically abusive to my mother earlier in their marriage. My mum recently told me that he got so bad living on the farm that she thought he was being possessed by the ghost.

Before we went back to bed that night, we got our outdoor dog (a dachshund mix) and tried to get him to come inside. What is probably my most vivid memory of that night, is our dog standing at the door where we were trying to get him to come inside and refusing to budge. He was visibly frightened and he would just not come inside (which was very strange because even though he was an outdoor dog, he was allowed inside the house.) I think that freaked me out that night more than anything else.

Anyway, the rest of the night was uneventful. But this was a somewhat regular occurrence. Maybe every month or so we would hear the deep heavy breathing. It may not sound that scary but for a young child like myself it was terrifying. I think living in a house where the nearest neighbor is a couple kilometers away magnifies the feeling of isolation and makes it scarier too.

My own scariest experience that I can remember is this. It was evening (sometime between 6-9pm I would imagine), and my mum was away. I think she may have even been at a church that evening trying to get help regarding our ghost problem. I was in my bedroom reading some book on King Arthur and my siblings and dad were at the other end of the house watching a rugby game on TV. I was in bed and suddenly I heard the breathing come from the corner of the bedroom that was opposite my bed. I remember being frozen with terror and thinking to myself, "If I pretend like I didn't hear it, it will leave me alone." Unfortunately, that did not happen.

After a few more instances of the breathing, I jumped out of bed and ran to the lounge and told my dad what happened. Even though I was crying and obviously scared witless, he started yelling at me to get back to bed and didn't want to hear anything about it. My siblings didn't say anything to stand up for me, even though they knew what I was going through. So I pretended to go back to bed by walking through the kitchen (which is connected to the lounge), but then I just opened and closed the kitchen door without actually walking through it. I hid under the table in the kitchen until my mum got home and then told her what happened, and she was irate with my dad and his response (or lack thereof).

My siblings and myself didn't (as far as I know) experience much else other than the breathing. Though my brother was sleeping in a tent outside our house one night and was woken up by a voice outside the tent saying something like, "Who are you? What are you doing here?" He came screaming outside and never slept outside in the tent again.

My mum, however, bore the brunt of the ghost's activity. During the day when she would be home by herself, she would feel a cold presence encircle her in the kitchen. When this would happen she would go outside and stay there until we came home from school or dad would come in from working the farm. She didn't tell us kids this would happen at the time; it wasn't until I was a teenager that she told me about that.

One other memory I remember well is this one time we were in the lounge and my mum got a call on the telephone. She went through to the hallway to speak on the phone. My siblings and I were in the lounge the entire time, but after her call finished she came back into the lounge yelling at us, wanting to know who it was who snuck up behind her and started whispering, "mummy." None of us left the room throughout the duration of her call. I was somewhat recently talking to my mum about the haunting and I brought up this story. She remembered it in the same detail that I did, except she is positive that dad was in the lounge with us too, while I had always remember him as being out working the farm while this happened. Funny how memory works.

Here is something my mum didn't tell me until a few years after we moved off of the farm: A month or so prior to the ghostly activities beginning, she woke up in the middle of the night to an angel standing by her bed (she assumes it was an angel because it was shining being). She swears she was definitely awake and it was not a dream. She says that it touched her and said something like, "Don't worry, everything will be OK." She didn't know what to think of it at the time, but in retrospect it looks like it may have been some guardian angel or a nice spirit letting her know that despite what was about to happen to our family, we would not be seriously harmed.

More recently, just a couple years ago, I was talking to my mum again about the haunting. (Strangely enough, no one in my family every talked about it once we moved out of that house, though I talked to my mum a few times over the years and talked to my sister really briefly about it a couple years ago, though she doesn't like talking about it because it still gives her the creeps.) Anyway, my mum told me a couple stories that I'm glad she never told me while we still lived out there. She said one night she awoke and the breathing ghost was creeping alongside the bed. Her arm was hanging out of the bed and she said when the breathing got very close, she felt something tug on her arm. Even to this day, about 20 years later, she says she will never sleep with her arms or legs hanging out of the bed.

Also, she told me that one day she had an ominous feeling about my sister. So she slept in her room that night. She awoke during the night to the ghost trying to strangle her. She said she just closed her eyes and kept thinking about how good will always defeat evil, and then eventually it stopped. She didn't tell us this happened at the time, for obvious reasons.

There are lots more stories of this house I could share. Some of them I have forgotten after all these years. As I've mentioned, we moved out a week after I turned 9, and thankfully it didn't follow us. My mum was always positive that if we could move out of the house, we would be OK. She didn't know why she thought this but it turns out she was right. Though a few years after we moved, I did have a few instances where I awoke in the night, paralyzed, and could feel an evil entity standing by my bed and, on a couple occasions, sitting down on the bed. I know about sleep paralysis, however, and so I'm not sure whether it really happened or if it was just my mind playing tricks on me. I guess I kind of hope it wasn't a ghost and that it was just my mind.

A couple things in particular I noticed about our haunting is that it always seemed to occur after a fight/argument had happened, and that playing gospel music only seemed to irritate the ghost and made it louder.

We had a church minister come to our house along with some of the parishioners (some type of Protestant church). I wasn't there but my mum told me that they were all seated around the kitchen table and could all feel a cold presence circling the table. My mum was able to get holy water from the local Catholic Church. The priest himself was not allowed to help us directly, but he told her that whenever the ghost did something, to go around the house and sprinkle every room and walk around the house outside sprinkling it too, while saying some sort of prayer. It seemed to keep things at bay temporarily, but I guess I don't know if the holy water and prayers actually did anything or if it was just coincidence.

The reason I'm posting this story after all these years is because my mum contacted me last year and told me the breathing ghost was back. She has heard it a few times. I prayed for her (and she got a medium who deals with this sort of thing to pray as well), and it has apparently not reoccurred. Strangely, my mum's twin brother was staying with them at the time and I feel like his presence may have somehow set it off again. My wife and I recently went and stayed at my parents place for a couple weeks (we live in a different country and so don't get to see them that much), but neither of us felt anything strange or heard anything.

One more thing I will add is that this whole experience left an undeniable effect on us (well at least me and my sister). I've never talked to my brother about it, but I suspect he just tried to forget about it all. My sister and I, however, had a lasting fear of the dark. For several years after we moved off of the farm, I was terrified of the dark and would sleep under my covers every single night, being so afraid of looking out into the darkness of my room and seeing something. If I had to get up in the night to use the bathroom, I turned on every single light along the way (seven of them). I had recurring nightmares for several years too, all of which invariably involved our moving back to the farm house. My sister also was afraid of the dark for years and never went to bed at night unless she had a light on (or the TV or radio), and she was like this until she moved in with her husband.

I often still think about the whole experience and wonder why it happened to us and what it was exactly.

Hauntings with similar titles

Find ghost hunters and paranormal investigators from New Zealand

Comments about this paranormal experience

The following comments are submitted by users of this site and are not official positions by yourghoststories.com. Please read our guidelines and the previous posts before posting. The author, Waikaka, has the following expectation about your feedback: I will read the comments and participate in the discussion.

sheld999 (14 stories) (74 posts)
 
8 years ago (2016-05-30)
wow scary. Maybe the land was haunted prior to the house being built?
MrJ (2 posts)
 
8 years ago (2016-05-29)
I'v also experienced this heavy breathing. Around ten or eleven years ago, between the period of about 2 years, I heard what most have described, heavy breathing in the opposite end of my bedroom, being about 15 at the time, it really shook me, first my sister heard it in her room and although she only heard it once, I heard it on more than a few occasions and in two different locations, it knew I could hear it and it was aware of me, when i'd sit up it would stop and when i'd lay back down it would start again, deep breathing as though it was from an adult male, along with this I had been experiencing what they call "sleep paralysis" (a required scientific explanation for something that couldn't be explained in my opinion), that also ended at, more or less, the same time I stopped hearing the breathing. Personally, I believe it to be a jinn, a being that exists in a different dimension to us and is made from a different element, not necessarily harmful or aggressive, we as humans are naturally afraid of things we don't understand, especially something we can't physically see. Whatever you think it was, I think you can rest assure that you're not alone.
strangelife (3 stories) (16 posts)
+1
9 years ago (2015-10-12)
Walter! Not again... Same response? Are you going through every new story and pasting the same thing? Get it corrected atleast:D
chria29 (3 stories) (25 posts)
+1
9 years ago (2015-10-06)
Walterakram is a scammer. I just read another story and he literally posted the same exact, poorly spelled and horrible grammar post that he posted here.
samtillie (5 stories) (242 posts)
-1
9 years ago (2015-10-06)
Walter, why do you post the exact same comment on every story you have read? Very odd!
aussiedaz (19 stories) (1565 posts)
+2
9 years ago (2015-10-05)
Walter, I'm not sure what your brain was showing you but I don't think it will make any sense around here mate, your lucky zzsgranny didn't whack you with her trollalong song 😆😆😆.

Sorry Waikaka, your account doesn't deserve that nonsense!
Manafon1 (6 stories) (712 posts)
+1
9 years ago (2015-10-05)
Waikaka--Your account was interesting and I can imagine the breathing sound as something that could really creep you out. When I was around twelve, my twin brother was home alone one night and heard a loud breathing, "that seemed to come from everywhere", in the house. It turned out it was the refrigerator. Since that time I have had several refrigerators that occasionally make a sound best described as Darth Vader breathing.

It has something to do with the cooling element and is on a cycle. My present refrigerator "breathes" once a day, usually in the evening. Just wanted to give you one possible non-paranormal explanation for the breathing you heard. It actually sounds incredibly menacing and especially for a young child could really stir the imagination!
valkricry (49 stories) (3267 posts) mod
+1
9 years ago (2015-10-05)
Waikaka,
No, I think we can safely rule out the goldfish 😆. I think the toughest part of any paranormal event is trying to rule out any mundane 'normal' causes. The fact that your whole family (except for dear old dad) experienced it, at least let's you know you weren't imagining or exaggerating it in your head.
I don't think the heavy breathing sounds 'lame'. I think that would drive me nuts. Very going-to-get-youish, you know? Totally oooers.
zzsgranny (18 stories) (3329 posts) mod
+3
9 years ago (2015-10-05)
Walter: Give it a rest. I swear I don't understand why, if one doesn't believe in the paranormal, they feel compelled to come on a site like this and tell members they're imagining things. 😆 I'm sorry you've never had an experience but I'm sure there's a reason for that.

Waikaka: I truly enjoyed your account, having experienced heavy breathing in my ear once. I can't imagine hearing it as often LOL. Just a thought, possibly a former resident had breathing problems like emphysema or cancer?

Thank you for posting! 😊
Waikaka (1 stories) (3 posts)
+2
9 years ago (2015-10-05)
WalterAkram,

I understand that the supernatural can be hard to believe if you've never experienced it yourself, but you're going to be hard-pressed to convince those who have experienced it that such things do not exist.

Thanks for the laugh
Waikaka (1 stories) (3 posts)
 
9 years ago (2015-10-05)
annie16,

As far as I am aware, no one in my family ever saw an apparition (thankfully!).
Waikaka (1 stories) (3 posts)
+1
9 years ago (2015-10-05)
valkricry,

No, we had no indoor pets on the farm (unless goldfish count, ha!).

I know that heavy breathing sounds seem kind of lame and easily attributable to other more mundane and natural sources than a spirit, but there is no way, in my mind (and I'm sure in the minds of my family), that the origin of the breathing can be put down to anything other than a supernatural entity (ghost/spirit/whatever you want to call it).

It is, of course, hard to truly convey our experiences through the medium of writing, but I am convinced there is a huge qualitative difference between the sounds we experienced and those capable of being produced by an animal or other naturally occurring house sounds.

Despite having had these experiences, I am actually a fairly skeptical-minded person and am more than willing to put an experience down to a non-supernatural explanation if I can come up with one. However, neither am I a fundamentalist type of nonbeliever who refuses to admit the possibility that spirits may exist.
valkricry (49 stories) (3267 posts) mod
+1
9 years ago (2015-10-05)
Waikaka,
Not sure why this happened to you and your family, but on the bright side at least it never actually DID anything. Heavy breathing (without a known source especially) can be very scary. I wonder if you had any indoor pets?
I ask because there's times my cat (weighs like 6 or 7 pounds, not too big) will sometimes be very loud with snores and breathing. Especially when everything else is quiet.
valkricry (49 stories) (3267 posts) mod
+3
9 years ago (2015-10-05)
With apologies, Waikaka, but I need to:
Walter...you need to get a new song. So far you have made 3 comments and they're all identical. I'm beginning to think you're copy&pasting it. Just because YOU haven't had any experiences, doesn't mean no one else has. Apparently, you lack the ability to appreciate this. So stop crying 'fake' in a left-handed manner, and instead offer up REASONS you feel this account (or any other) is untrue.
annie16 (13 stories) (53 posts)
+4
9 years ago (2015-10-05)
walterAkram. Because you haven't experienced anything doesn't mean there is nothing. Remember, if we DON't want to see something we won't. The things I experienced were not as a result of fear. I was puzzled by it but definitely not fearful. And, it was definitely not my imagination.
Waikaka, I really enjoyed your story. My mom had a very similar experience many years ago. The sounds were always behind her. One day she just started talking to the entity and when she slowly turned around there was a full bodied apparition. She saw him regularly afterwards but was never afraid and the entity finally moved on.

This comment from WalterAkram is hidden due to low rating. Show comment

To publish a comment or vote, you need to be logged in (use the login form at the top of the page). If you don't have an account, sign up, it's free!

Search this site: