You are here: Real Ghost Stories :: Apparitions / Voices / Touches :: Tall Dark And Scary

Real Ghost Stories

Tall Dark And Scary

 

My story takes place in a small town in Nevada called Tonopah. My story is 100% real. I wouldn't lie to you, I just thought you may like to hear this story.

Tonopah is a small town in the middle of the desert. It was very prevalent with gold back in the old days but as soon as it was mined out and gold seekers continued west, the population went down to maybe 1,000.

My mother, sister and I moved there in 2002 after our parents divorced. We moved into an apartment complex and my mother was the night auditor at the Ramada Inn. My mother was very depressed from the divorce and took to her old ways of partying and using. Without adult supervision, my older sister became pretty wild too. My mother and sister began to fight so badly that at times it turned physical, so she went to live with my dad in Reno, NV.

After Alice left, my mother still worked the graveyard shift until 2:00 a.m. And even then sometimes she wouldn't come home, she would be out with friends until the next day. So I was left alone a lot. That's when all the paranormal incidences started to happen.

I don't believe the apartment was haunted, I believe all the bad things happening and the depression invited something dark into our lives. Darkness likes darkness.

Anyway, the first thing that started happening was the intense feeling of being watched. It didn't matter if it was day or night you were being watched and not only from within the room, it also felt like there were things outside watching you through the windows. This became so uncomfortable to me so my mother and I switched rooms. It didn't help I still felt like I was being watched so I started sleeping on the couch (which was right by the front door) so if I needed to escape quickly I could.

Well one day I was walking from the couch the the kitchen to fix myself something to eat. To my right was a hallway and at the end was a bathroom, with my mother's room to the left and mine was on the right. While I was walking to the kitchen I couldn't help but look down the hallway. When I did I saw a huge dark figure run from my mother's room into my room. It didn't really run, more like hovered (it did not touch the floor) but it was very very quick, that's why I say it ran. It was also tall enough to touch the ceiling with the top of its head. And it was very dark, I could not see through it at all.

Well me being 9 or 10 was totally freaked out. I began losing sleep the only time I would sleep is when I went to visit my mom at work. I would literally sleep at her feet behind her desk at work. My mother did start to worry about me, and she said she felt the watching eyes as well. But she had to work to keep the bread on the table. The only relief she could offer was tell me to come to her work.

Well one day I invited a friend over so I wouldn't be so scared. But when she came over she started feeling creeped out, so we stood on the porch and talked. As we were talking, we could hear someone coming from behind the apartment (there were leaves on the ground). We could hear them getting closer, people used to walk by all the time so we weren't scared. But as the sound of steps got closer and closer we realized no one was there and we actually saw the leaves being pressed down in the shape of a foot. But there was no body. And the steps were coming right for us so we screamed our heads off and ran to her house.

Then the last incident that happened to me in that apartment was one time I was laying down to go to bed (in my bedroom). I wanted to sleep but I couldn't. I felt very strongly that someone was watching me, I felt they were looming over me. So I turned my back to it and put the covers over my head. Then I felt pressure on the bed like someone got into the bed with me, and it whispered something in my ear but it was very quick and a whisper so I couldn't tell if it said my name "Kayla" or "Wake up". It was in a woman's voice. I was all alone frozen in fear and eventually I fell asleep.

A few months later we moved. Not out of town but away from those apartments. I hope you liked the story it was most definitely the scariest thing I've ever been through.

Hauntings with similar titles

Comments about this paranormal experience

The following comments are submitted by users of this site and are not official positions by yourghoststories.com. Please read our guidelines and the previous posts before posting. The author, kaykay3313, has the following expectation about your feedback: I will read the comments and participate in the discussion.

kaykay3313 (guest)
 
8 years ago (2015-10-27)
Yes I'm very appreciative to have some light shed on this situation, to be honest I've never known weather this was a dark entity or if it has stayed with our family through the years. I don't know a whole lot about poltergiest's but tweed definitely cleared it up for me. I do appreciate all the feed back but I have to respectfully disagree with mrmonty. It is possible that it was bad electrical but I don't think it was. I'm glad you all liked the story have a great day. Kaykay3313
sds (14 stories) (1436 posts)
 
8 years ago (2015-10-27)
Hello kaykay3313, interesting account and interesting comments too from mrmonty, tweed and of course, the mod,Miracles. I enjoyed them all. In one of my narratives when I joined the site a few years ago, I thought of starting that this is 100% true experience etc., but decided against it after reading it because I felt at that time, if people want to believe, it is in your experience and the way of writing and not by swearing that it is 100% true and all.

I go with tweed in this, it might be poltergeist energy activity and the negative energies might have been amplified because of the atmosphere and situation you were in. Perhaps the apartments were really having negative energy and the activities got increased owing to the circumstances you and your mother were going through. Hope you have come out of it by now. What mrmonty said is also quite interesting about the electrical fields.

Thanks for sharing.

Regards and respects to you all.

SDS
kaykay3313 (guest)
 
8 years ago (2015-10-25)
I was thinking about this story and I should have included this. Where my friend and I saw the leaves being pressed down in the shape of a foot, was right outside my window and my mother's to. Further validating my feeling of being watched through the windows.
Tweed (35 stories) (2494 posts)
+1
8 years ago (2015-10-23)
You're welcome Kaykay.😊 When I said 'poltergeist energy' I was referring to a phenomenon known as 'telekinesis' psychic or thought powered energy manipulation. It can occur without intention. With negative energy in a home this phenomenon can become chaotic and attract idiot trouble making ghosts drawn in by negativity.

You may have encountered a few things during that time. Including, idiot ghosts, poltergiest energy (negative impacts of telekinesis), and probably some nice guardian type ghosts who were trying to ward off the negativity. All in all much chaos.
Telekinesis isn't necessarily bad, it's merely energy. If the environment is negative, the energy reacts the same.

The tall figure and the footprints on the leaves I'm not so sure about. Could be the same individual. I'm not entirely sure this was even a bad guy. This figure may have been there in a protective capacity, despite his sinister appearance. That said he may have wished to scare you. I don't know.
Your description of this figure has me wondering if he was more of a nature spirit/protector. In recent times I've started leaning towards this possibility for these types of tall dark figures. If he was what I think he was, my impression is they don't really care what we think of them and they don't mind scaring us if they feel wronged. But they're not necessarily bad, just different to us.
This is ALL opinion based on my part, many would disagree.

Haha Miracles, and now you moderate a paranormal site! I think it's natural for most of us to go 'no joke this is REALLY true' and similar statements because it's often so unnatural to describe a ghost encounter! 😆
kaykay3313 (guest)
+1
8 years ago (2015-10-23)
Ive written a few other stories that haven't been published yet, and I made sure I didn't start any of them off like I did this one haha. 😁
kaykay3313 (guest)
 
8 years ago (2015-10-23)
That is a really interesting suggestion that it may have been poltergiest activity, because I always thought what was going on with the family caused the activity. But if it were a demon it would have just followed us wherever we went. But when we moved it all stopped perhaps because a lot of stress was taken off of everyone. My mother started doing a little better and my sister came back a little while later. I never thought of it that way. And thank you for the concern it was a really miserable time for me, but it did help me be a stronger woman today. I'm glad you liked the story kaykay3313
Miracles51031 (39 stories) (4999 posts) mod
+2
8 years ago (2015-10-23)
Tweed - I caught myself saying this many years ago and realized I started off my sentences the same way as a woman I was working with. And she was a compulsive liar. So I tried to make sure, even though whatever I was saying was 100% true, I didn't say it LOL
Tweed (35 stories) (2494 posts)
 
8 years ago (2015-10-23)
haha Kaykay, I think those guidelines have prompted many to state their story as 'true', only to raise the eyebrows of the more discerning reader. It took me a while to realise many honest folk were merely following guide lines lol.

I suspect what you encountered in that apartment was mostly down to poltergeist energy. Agree it was likely brought on by the stress in the home. I'm really sorry you went through that sucky time in your life. You had a too much to deal with anyway without stupid paranormal idiocy going on around you. Sounds like you were the fall guy for your Mother and sister's crap at that time. 😢
kaykay3313 (guest)
 
8 years ago (2015-10-21)
Ya your right, the only reason I emphasized that it was true is because of the guidelines you must follow on this site, you know no dreams because they're unreliable and it must be true no fiction ect. But thank you for believing me, I'm glad you enjoyed the story. Sincerely kaykay3313
mrmonty (8 stories) (48 posts)
 
8 years ago (2015-10-21)
I'm not saying I don't believe you, I'm just saying it's not the best way to get people to believe you. I truly believe you felt and saw something. Thanks
kaykay3313 (guest)
 
8 years ago (2015-10-21)
Fair enough. You can believe the story if you'd like. I guess only God and I will know the truth. But thanks for your input. And I do believe that could be true, they weren't very nice apartment's. But I don't see how that could explain all other account's. Also I believe Tonopah and Goldfield (a town about a mile away) Are supernatural hot spots due to the quarts in the land. Miners usually find gold by tracing a quarts vein in the rock they are excavating. Quarts is said to give spirit's energy.
mrmonty (8 stories) (48 posts)
 
8 years ago (2015-10-21)
Kaykay,
Just have to point out anytime gives me a 100% guarantee or says "I wouldn't lie to you", it gets my BS detector up, however, since you don't believe they place was haunted, I can give you a couple or reasons for your feelings of being "watched" it could be with the way the electrical system was set up in the place, higher electrical fields can give you a feeling of dread or being watched-or as you think, it might have just been from the negative vibes around your family at that time. Thanks for the story.

To publish a comment or vote, you need to be logged in (use the login form at the top of the page). If you don't have an account, sign up, it's free!

Search this site: