You are here: Real Ghost Stories :: Haunted Places :: Scary Afternoon

Real Ghost Stories

Scary Afternoon

 

I had heard many stories about ghosts and haunting but this was the first paranormal experience of mine.

The year was 2012. I used to live in Kharagpur, West Bengal with my husband and son. We had a government allotted bungalow. Let me give a detailed account of the bungalow as it is an important part of the story. It was a duplex with two rooms each on the ground floor and three on the first floor. There was a large verandah for entrance which straight away led to wooden stairs upwards. At the beginning of the stairs there were doors for two rooms of the ground floor. The stair took a u turn midway where there was a space that led to a small room which I had made into a Puja ghar. After the turn, the stairs took to the first floor. The bungalow dated back to British era and was not in a very good condition.

I used to live on the first floor, while in one of the rooms of the ground floor my househelp lived while the other was our living room. The incident happened when my househelp was on leave and his room was empty.

One afternoon, my husband went back to work after lunch. My son was 2 years old then and was sleeping in the bedroom. I went downstairs and locked the door from inside and came back to my bedroom. I was about to sleep when suddenly I heard footsteps on the stairs. As it was wooden, the sound was very clear. There were about 10 steps in the first half and I could clearly hear someone climbing the stairs step by step. I jumped out from the bed but didn't dare to look downstairs. I could still hear the steps. I was contemplating what I would do if whatever it was reached the first floor. And suddenly the footsteps stopped. It took me sometime to gather courage, then I looked down the stairs and there was no one. I think due to the Puja ghar, the entity was not able to move to the second part of the stairs.

Later, I asked people who used to live in the outhouses of the bungalow about any unusual thing they knew about the bungalow. They told the bungalow was ok but whenever it was empty, they heard footsteps on the stairs from outside. So, I made it a point that whenever I was alone in the bungalow I made sure to put on the TV at a relatively higher volume so that whatever was there in bungalow would know that it is not empty and would not come out. I didn't have any such experience in that bungalow later.

Other hauntings by MPS

Hauntings with similar titles

Find ghost hunters and paranormal investigators from India

Comments about this paranormal experience

The following comments are submitted by users of this site and are not official positions by yourghoststories.com. Please read our guidelines and the previous posts before posting. The author, MPS, has the following expectation about your feedback: I will read the comments and participate in the discussion.

Twilight1011 (9 stories) (320 posts)
 
6 days ago (2024-04-20)
I know this is a bit of a late post, to be making for this account, but just incase the poster does happen to notice my comment 😅 I wanted to suggest the possibility of this being a residual haunting đŸ€” as the only paranormal part that seems to be happening, are the hearing of footsteps, walking up the staircase, when the place is thought to be unoccupied, makes it come off residual. Like that's all that the spirit seems to do, is walk the staircase, whatever the time it may happen, more in a cycle type of way, I suppose. Perhaps it's not that they don't exactly walk up the staircase, when someone is known to be there, maybe it could be you and your husband didn't notice, depending what you were doing at the time, and where you two could have been in the bungalow etc? If that is a possible theory, that might be of help. I was just wanting to throw that thought out there, as a possibility, I could be wrong, as the paranormal world is one we have yet to fully understand. At least it didn't appear to be anything of the more, negative nature. Thanks for sharing your experience though â˜ș I enjoyed reading about it.
Rajine (14 stories) (776 posts)
 
1 year ago (2022-10-28)
Hi MPS

I suppose if nothing bad happened that entity could have been a old resident, or a passing harmless spirit...
MPS (3 stories) (8 posts)
 
2 years ago (2022-09-25)
Hi Rajine

Those people had heard footsteps from outside the bungalow when it was empty. They didn't had any idea who it could be. But I think it was harmless.
Rajine (14 stories) (776 posts)
 
2 years ago (2022-09-23)
Hi again MPS

I wonder who or what that could have been? Did the people around you give you any idea of what it could be?

To publish a comment or vote, you need to be logged in (use the login form at the top of the page). If you don't have an account, sign up, it's free!

Search this site: