You are here: Real Ghost Stories :: Misc :: Hometown Experience

Real Ghost Stories

Hometown Experience

 

I was born and raised in a family that doesn't really believe in the paranormal. We are quiet religious but was also brought up by my old folks telling stories that consist of the explainable and much to say (for me) "impossible" ghost stories. I do live near the famous White House in Baguio in which itself shares a whole bunch of scary and ghostly history.

Here's how my story started, my Grandmothers cousin in La Union died when I was 15 years old. We (my family including my uncle and my cousin) went there to formally say our condolences, and at the same time see our extended family. It was then that I knew that our clan originated in the said province. A lot of my cousins and uncles and aunts that I didn't know I have was introduced to us.

There was a lot of old sayings when attending a funeral in that place, like never walk around the coffin or, let's say, introduce yourself to the dead if it's your first time meeting him/her, in which I did only to respect what they believe was a must.

The night of the first day of the funeral, me and my cousin were playing with his new cellphone (I cannot really remember the model but I'm sure its a Nokia with a camera), we were so amused about it since we were really young and cellphone was a new thing for us, especially the camera. We were outside (about 10:30pm) and we tried the video capture feature of the cellphone. We made sure that we were alone because we might look ignorant trying out the new cellphone. So when we were sure that everyone was inside and there was just the two of us, we started rolling the cameras. It was about 1:54 sec long, then we took pictures as well, the garden, the front of the house and the night sky.

Upon reviewing the video, we noticed an eerie voice on the background, goosebumps started appearing on my body as I try to interpret what the voice was saying, and it says "DAHIL SAYO, DAHIL SAYO, DAHIL SAYO NAMATAY AKO! (BECAUSE OF YOU, BECAUSE OF YOU, BECAUSE OF YOU I DIED! (after was a sound that looks like someone was being whipped real hard) that was the background sound for more than 45 seconds, those were really high pitched voices and was very clear. Me and my cousin were paralyzed and couldn't move. We checked the pictures and what we saw sent us running back inside the house. There was a lady wearing a traditional clothes staring directly at the camera.

We had our uncles check the video and the picture, they were actually not surprised and just advised us that we shouldn't have done that because it was said that there were dwendes (end evil ones as well) dwelling in the area where we took the video, and as for the lady in the window, they said that it was the lady that used to own the place back in the Spanish era. She was found dead in the area and no one has a clue on who did it. The elders advised us to say a prayer and apologize, and delete the pictures and video as well because the dwendes and the ghost might follow us back to Baguio and something bad might happen.

The next day we were supposed to go home but me and my cousin woke up feeling heavy and we both have high fever. The elders performed a ritual and offered a chicken as a sacrifice, at the same time we deleted the video and the pictures. To my surprise after about 20 minutes we felt better. We then departed and went back home. I don't know if the event from the other had to do something with it but still it was something I will never forget.

Hauntings with similar titles

Find ghost hunters and paranormal investigators from Philippines

Comments about this paranormal experience

The following comments are submitted by users of this site and are not official positions by yourghoststories.com. Please read our guidelines and the previous posts before posting. The author, Tsanok, has the following expectation about your feedback: I will participate in the discussion and I need help with what I have experienced.

rookdygin (24 stories) (4458 posts)
 
8 years ago (2016-02-15)
curiouswriter,

It's may be connected to some Cultures belief in not wanting their picture taken for fear their soul will be captured on the film or in the picture. If the 'soul' is captured then it will 'follow' the image rather than stay with it's physical body.

Respectfully,

Rook
Mhannerism (2 stories) (82 posts)
 
8 years ago (2016-02-07)
Hello curiouswriter, I have never heard of that even though we are both Filipino. I've heard a story about a student recording herself singing, while she's singing the chorus, someone else *sang* with her, but she wasn't really singing, the *girl* was crying for help. The girl made sure she was alone in her dorm/bedroom. The one who recorded it didn't delete the video (I don't know how to find it but I know it was posted somewhere. She's a Filipino too) but the spirit who was crying for help didn't follow her.
Maybe it depends on the spirit or the location of your province. But good to know that there's a belief like that!
sds (14 stories) (1436 posts)
 
8 years ago (2016-02-06)
Hi Tsanok, welcome to YGS. As Mack said, it would have been a great thing for all of us if you had those pictures and sounds uploaded, if you hadn't deleted it.

Thanks Rook for clarifying the issue on animal sacrifice to Mack. Well, different societies, cultures have different kind of offerings and they do believe in it, not only for the dark side but also for Gods. In my country, in several places, I have seen and witnessed those offerings. It happens even in these days.

Regards and respects to Mack, Rook and Tsanok.

SDS
curiouswriter (2 posts)
 
8 years ago (2016-02-06)
To the people baffled about Tsanok deleting the images and video, it is actually a very common superstition/belief in the Philippines that ghosts/spirits follow people who took pictures of them. I have no idea where this came from, but I've encountered it plenty of times.
Mhannerism (2 stories) (82 posts)
 
8 years ago (2016-02-06)
Great story from my fellow countrymen!
It's a shame you deleted it, but I can't blame you, I would be scared too!
As for the sacrifice, they really need to sacrifice a chicken in order for dwendes to stop punishing/tormenting/play with them.
About witch doctors (which is called albularyo in the PH) did they try to exterminate the spirits in the house? Because if you can't convince them, exterminate them. Because the voice you captured on the video seemed angry and it might harm your distant relatives. 😢
rookdygin (24 stories) (4458 posts)
+4
8 years ago (2016-02-05)
Mack,

Your Hollywood assumption is pretty close... Animal sacrifices are MOSTLY 'from the dark side' however there are those 'sects' and religions that still make offerings to 'the light' (just saying to remain religion neutral).

Where and when this happens the ritual animal (s) seem to end up feeding entire villages because the animal, let's say a cow or water buffalo, is worth more than its weight in gold to these places. So the 'act' of the sacrifice appeases the 'gods' and is a true sacrifice for these individuals and the 'outcome' of the ritual feeds many people. This can be extended to some burial Rituals in remote societies as well.

Respectfully,

Rook
loneybone (8 stories) (78 posts)
+1
8 years ago (2016-02-05)
Macknorton Great answer I might say. Ofcourse I do I have some of the commentary near my house I was the red light and I snapped a few pictures and got lot of activity. Some photos ou have to pay close attention to see some of the ghost. One of them is certainly clear. I will submit a story and the pictures:)
Macknorton (5 stories) (646 posts)
+2
8 years ago (2016-02-04)
Hi Tsanok, welcome and thanks for sharing.

Wow, you actually simply deleted the sounds and photo of genuine spiritual activity?😲 That would have been GOLD to so many people! Can you see the tears of sorrow streaming down my cheeks? No? Well, they are there, believe me... (dab dab sniff)

Anyway, moving right along... I am surprised that murdering an animal is considered a good idea to "cleanse" some unwanted and considered unpleasant spiritual activity. "No Harm - No Fowl"?😉

In my opinion, I would have thought that kind of activity would only increase the unpleasant or negative atmosphere of an area.
Aren't animal sacrifices are usually associated with "the dark arts" etc etc, or maybe that's just Hollywood...?

Sounds like some good old fashioned superstitious beliefs going on there, such as not walking around a coffin. (No offence intended to those with good old-fashioned superstitious beliefs) Why on earth would that be considered not the done thing? Isn't coffin just wood, metal and screws? And the spirit / soul/ essence of that person in the coffin has long since departed (hence the corpse)?

And not introducing yourself to the dead? Well if that rule is based on offending the "dead" but you can still talk to the "dead" and they can "hear" you then, one can argue that they aren't "dead" at all, but their body that their spirit animated whilst on earth certainly is.

And what lady-glow said...

[at] Lonebone - do YOU have ghost photos on your phone?! Are you able to post those? Luckily, even though you were really scared about your skull picture and deleted it, you weren't terrified enough to post it on Facebook, so we were able to all have a look and form an opinion.

Regards

Mack
loneybone (8 stories) (78 posts)
+1
8 years ago (2016-02-04)
HI there Tsanok great story. This is truly chilling I would say. I understand different cultures do different things, but I never heard of sacrificing a chicken when doing a cleanse. I know dwendes do exist my mom has seen them. I know people as well who see garden gnome type people which like moving things around and in Spanish there also called dwendes. I don't know if to believe in that but my mom said she has seem them before. As far as the pictures and videos go I do not think that they will fallow you not unless your really scared and you keep thinking about them enough for them to know and fallow you. I have took several pictures before some with ghost and I have them on my phone and don't pay much attention to them. I also happen to live in house full of ghost and all I do is ignore them and they just leave me alone. In my opinion you should not be scared of these things unless they are actually harming you, spirits feed off of our fear and they use that to get stronger.

It is always cool to save things you never know when they will come in handy. Plus it's good proof in case people don't believe you. It happened to me I had something really weird happen. I took pictures something really odd appeared like a skull I though I deleted the image for being to scared and some really wanted to see it. Next time if you do happen to capture something please do keep it not many people are lucky to get something.
Tsanok (1 stories) (1 posts)
+1
8 years ago (2016-02-03)
Hi Good day lady glow,
For the first question: As far as I know my elders knew who the lady was. They actually told us that the lady was a close friend of one of our elders.

For the second question: After the original owners death one of my elders took responsibility of taking care of the house and after a few generations was legally owned by our family. And yes w/in those times, they actually realized that they were not the only resident of the house, they actually told us that a number of "Albularyo's" tried convincing the entities to go away but nothing happened.

For the 3rd question: YES, they actually experienced seeing and hearing things over and over again, maybe that's why they weren't surprised at all when we showed them the video and the picture. Its like they're used to it."No Harm No Foul" I guess.

And for the last question: As I have mentioned in the 2nd question, our elders actually have tried having the services of the "Albularyo" but nothing happened. As for the present generation I don't have any idea if they actually tried a house blessing, I'll have to ask them about that.
lady-glow (16 stories) (3149 posts)
+1
8 years ago (2016-02-03)
Welcome to YGS.
This was an scary experience!

I have some questions about your story:
-The Spanish ruling over the Philippines ended in 1899, did any of the elders knew the dead lady?
-Did your family buy the house after the lady's death and if so, have they reported any paranormal activity in the place?
-Have they seen the ghost and/or heard her wailing?
-Do you know if they have tried to cleanse the property in order to help the spirit to cross over?

I'm sorry for asking so many questions, but I don't understand that your family could live in that place for such a long time without experiencing anything or without doing something about it.

Thanks for sharing.

To publish a comment or vote, you need to be logged in (use the login form at the top of the page). If you don't have an account, sign up, it's free!

Search this site: