You are here: Real Ghost Stories :: Haunted Places :: My Father's Hometown 7: The Dead River

Real Ghost Stories

My Father's Hometown 7: The Dead River

 

I learned here that a river if dead, was full of trees in each banks, no flowing water, polluted and have trees and plants inside the river. And if the banks of the river was full of trees, some of the trees have their own occupants.

I told from my first story of my father's hometown that our house was facing a river. Actually, a dead river. These stories happened to my playmate, my mother and me. If you're going to enter our street, the road was actually beside of the dead river and you would see many trees around.

My Playmate, Intoy

Intoy is a boy and the same age of me. This was happened when one night he needed to go to a wake of their relative. His family already departed and he left so he needed to go on his own. He was using a bicycle that time. In a particular area near their house, there were two bamboos grew with a mango tree in the middle. When he was passing by on that area, he saw a light like a lamp in the mango tree. It was floating. When he was about near the tree, the light flew to the middle of the river. In the middle of the river was another mango tree and to his confused, he saw a nipa hut beside that tree. We knew that there was no nipa hut on that area and if you could build one, it will be destroyed by water because every time that there was storm and heavy rain, the river had full of water and that was the catching basin of our area. The light enter the nipa hut and form again as a lamp. He felt so much fear like his head was blowing so he put his feet on his bike to go as fast as he could. He told that story to us because we usually play on that mango tree in the middle of the river.

My Mother

My mother was often in Marikina but when it happened to her, she did not go home late at night on the road because of her story. It was rainy season and the road was dark and muddy. The tricycle she was riding can't pass through so she needed to drop off at the corner of the street and walk with her bag and other things. She had luck because it was not yet raining at the time but it was dark because of no electricity (that time when there was heavy rain or storm, usually our area had no electricity). There was an old big mango tree several steps from the corner that have a huge branch. The tree was located at right side of the road and that branch was like reaching the other side of the road where a bamboo plant was. When she was passing by that tree, she felt water drops fell on her. She thought maybe the rain will start but the branch of the tree moved like someone was shaking it that causes of water on the leaves dropped on her. Out of confusion, she looked up and freaked out when she noticed a dark man was shaking it. It was a giant tree or kapre here in the Philippines. Because of fear, she walked so fast in middle of the muddy road and prayed out loud. And that was the reason why she never went home that night.

They're toying with me

This is my story. I wanted to get some tamarind at the river bank. There was a tamarind tree near the bamboo from the story of Intoy. It was afternoon around 2 to 3 pm. That tamarind was full of fruit that time. Sometimes you could picked on ground or brought your own hook. In my middle of harvest, someone gossiped on me. "Psst!" I suddenly turned around to see where the sound came from. Then I continued hooking some tamarind and again I heard a gossip again. I freaked out maybe it was a snake so I got all my things and go away as fast as I could. But when I was on the road I heard someone called my name and I turned around again to look who it was. I saw nothing. I glimpsed at the mango tree in the middle of two bamboo but no one was there. I tried to look around again that maybe someone was toying with me. And I heard again another gossip. And maybe a few seconds someone called me again but the voice was too far from me. So I ran as fast as I could to get out on that area and went back at home.

I also told this story to Intoy after he stated his story about the light and the nipa hut.

Thanks for reading.

Other hauntings by unknownymous05

Hauntings with similar titles

Find ghost hunters and paranormal investigators from Philippines

Comments about this paranormal experience

The following comments are submitted by users of this site and are not official positions by yourghoststories.com. Please read our guidelines and the previous posts before posting. The author, unknownymous05, has the following expectation about your feedback: I will read the comments and participate in the discussion.

DarriuxDarkk (6 stories) (79 posts)
+1
4 years ago (2019-11-08)
Lady-glow

These kind of stories are very common especially those living near nature areas with lots of trees or shrubs.

I think it is very common in the Philippines to experience apparitions from the elementals or nature spirits. They have a lot of folklores surrounding these type of creatures or beings.

If I am also on their shoes, I wouldn't go investigating on my own towards mysterious sounds or sightings especially in a middle of a bank or forest, or wherever these elemental creature resides.

They tend to end very badly at most cases. This is where people get lost and never found again or in some cases these beings latch into you and makes your life miserable and at worse case possesses you.

Elemental creatures or nature beings can be very nasty at possession. It's not only demons can inflict that kind of negativity in ones life. You'd be surprised at how many stories some natives share about these creatures.

Thanks and God bless.
valkricry (49 stories) (3270 posts) mod
+2
5 years ago (2018-12-28)
Mystic,
I'd interject that not all English speakers do well at writing in their mother tongue either.😉 I can honestly say, that many, for whom English is a second language, definitely write much better than many of the native speakers. Personally, I think unknownmous05 did an admirable job.
As a side-bar for those interested, the English/American translation for "Psst" is (drum roll, please)... Psst! Lol Some things are just international.
MysticFrance (5 stories) (95 posts)
+3
5 years ago (2018-12-28)
Hi legionnaire97,

It would have been better if YGS have proofreaders, though, because not all Filipinos who can speak English are good at writing. But I can only imagine the workload.:-D

Anyway, we as Filipinos are known to be supportive and hospitable, let us show our support to our own 'kababayan'. I think we can all agree that he worked hard to share his story.
legionnaire97 (3 posts)
+2
5 years ago (2018-12-28)
Hi Majarlika,

Oh I see. Thanks for clearing that up. If it isn't too obvious, I just signed up for an account not more than an hour ago so please excuse me po 😁
majarlika012 (12 stories) (122 posts)
+2
5 years ago (2018-12-28)
Hi legionnaire97, we cannot submit stories using our mother tongue as other nationalities are also reading on this site.:)
legionnaire97 (3 posts)
 
5 years ago (2018-12-28)
di naman sa sobrang picky ako no pero parang ang sakit sa mata basahin ng story na to kasi daig pa kalsada sa probinsya sa sobrang sira ng grammar. Kung gusto mong mag tell ng story na maganda, why not leave it in Tagalog nalang? Bawal ba sa site na to yung Tagalog story? Please sana wag masamain ang comment. Opinion ko lang po 😁
unknownymous05 (12 stories) (16 posts)
+1
5 years ago (2018-12-10)
Hi All,

Thanks amor. Yes, I used google to translate "sitsit" and gossip is the result. "Psst!" is using here in the Philippines to call someone attention.
Well thanks to anyone for correcting me. Hehehe!

Unknownymous05
valkricry (49 stories) (3270 posts) mod
+2
5 years ago (2018-12-10)
Just a side note here; in many places (America, Canada, England, and probably more) gossip means casual conversation or reports about other people, typically involving details that are not confirmed as being true. For me the use of the word 'gossip' for the sound 'psst' or hissing for attention, was really interesting, although by the usage, I understood what unknownmouse meant.
beingtrish (1 stories) (13 posts)
+2
5 years ago (2018-12-10)
By gossip she meant calling her attention by making "psst" or hiss sound, this is very common in the Philippines. Gossip is not the right term but whisper (just a little louder though) enough to hear someone calling your attention from a far.
lady-glow (16 stories) (3157 posts)
+2
5 years ago (2018-12-10)
Paranormal or not, it doesn't seem like anyone took the time to investigate what was going on and instead decided on getting scared.🙄
Amor (5 stories) (64 posts)
+3
5 years ago (2018-12-10)
In response to Majarlika, well, let it go. He probably used Google to translate 'sitsit,' (which is some sort of calling someone's attention here in PH using some kind of unvoiced laminal/hissing sound). Well I'd say good to know some people don't know what 'gossip' is;)

To Unknownymous, thanks for your story. Although what do you mean by that 'dead river'? A biological dead one? Because if it is, there won't be much life forms, let alone thick trees and riparian thickets you described.

There are weird sounds in the woods. The hissing sound to call your attention could be just an animal/insect or something. And because you got afraid, you imagined people calling your name from other sounds in your surroundings that time.

Although the kapre story of your mom is really scary. But again, you said it was dark so how can she possibly see a man? Also where did he go when she didn't go home? But I would say I also saw a shadow kapre in a giant mango tree. Weird.

Anyway, thanks for sharing. Good to know you are all safe. Take care.
majarlika012 (12 stories) (122 posts)
+1
5 years ago (2018-12-10)
This got me a little confused 😐 "In my middle of harvest, someone gossiped on me. "Psst!" and the word "gossiped" was repeated 3 times.

To publish a comment or vote, you need to be logged in (use the login form at the top of the page). If you don't have an account, sign up, it's free!

Search this site: