You are here: Real Ghost Stories :: Pets / Animals :: Red-eyed Dog

Real Ghost Stories

Red-eyed Dog

 

It was somewhere around a decade ago, though I can't recall the exact year anymore. If I had to guess, I'd say somewhere between 2004-2006, but I couldn't say for certain anymore. It was cold, I remember, though whether it was fall or winter escapes me.

I was home alone, in the basement of my parents' house, laying on the couch, and talking with my girlfriend over the phone one afternoon. It couldn't have been especially late, since the sun was still up, but setting, and at that time of year, it's dark by six o'clock so it couldn't have been any later than five at the most.

We'd been talking a while, maybe ten minutes or so, when I heard what I could only describe as claws clacking against the concrete floor of the basement, coming from the next room. We didn't have any pets at the time, so I was confused as to what the sound might be. It didn't take long for me to find out.

Walking through the doorway came a smallish dog, perhaps a foot and a half or two feet off the ground, with scraggly black and tan fur. It walked a few feet into the downstairs living room, sat down and stared at me. And that is what made it so terrifying. Its eyes were entirely red, no white, no pupils, just large, red orbs. With the lights on, I can't say whether they were glowing, or not, but they were a vibrant, cherry red, at the very least.

Immediately, I began to cry, overcome with fear. It didn't growl or give any outward signs of aggression but, all the same, I could feel a malice in it. It felt as if I were not only prey, but a thing to be hated. I've never been so scared in all my life.

And then, even more quickly than it had come, it was gone. I don't remember if it faded, or if I blinked and it was gone, I just remember it was suddenly gone. And just then my mother had come home, and I bolted from the couch, the phone still in my hand, as I told her everything that had happened.

I went over to my girlfriend's house that night, not about to stay in that house, especially since my bedroom had only been one room over from where I'd seen that dog. I stayed for several days, before finally coming home.

I spent a long time, fearing it would come back and perhaps, this time, do me harm. I would lay in the dark, listening, dreading. Each time I would think about it, I would quickly try to push it from my mind, afraid that by thinking about it, I might call it to me. But it hasn't returned yet.

While some would be grateful for that - and I am - it only further confounds me. Why would something like that appear in my basement in the first place, let alone only once? What was it? I've looked around the internet, read several books on the paranormal, and nothing ever comes quite close enough to what I experienced to give me an answer.

If anyone has had a similar experience, or perhaps some insight you could share, please, feel free to send me an email. I've spent the last ten or so years looking for answers, but the search goes on. In its own way, this single event, no longer than a minute or so, haunts me, even after all this time.

Hauntings with similar titles

Find ghost hunters and paranormal investigators from Illinois

Comments about this paranormal experience

The following comments are submitted by users of this site and are not official positions by yourghoststories.com. Please read our guidelines and the previous posts before posting. The author, Venator_ignotarum, has the following expectation about your feedback: I will participate in the discussion and I need help with what I have experienced.

lady-glow (16 stories) (3154 posts)
+1
8 years ago (2016-04-20)
Sarah: I'm sure the community will like to know more about your experience, the best way to share it would be to submit it like your own story instead of just posting it on the comments section of Venator's experience.
Sarah (1 stories) (53 posts)
 
8 years ago (2016-04-20)
Hi,
My great grandfather told of being followed home one night. He could feel the presence behind him and when he turned he was greeted by what others may call a hell hound. This dog was very tall with flaming eyes. He was terrified after the ordeal. As the years passed other family members put it down to it just being a tale. That was until the 1980's when my older brother saw the exact same thing and I myself saw it in the 1990's! If you want to know more just let me know.
Hope it's nice to know that you are not alone in what you saw.
Tweed (35 stories) (2494 posts)
+1
8 years ago (2016-04-19)
Venator hello and welcome. Time for a capslock statement.

YOU'RE NOT THE ONLY ONE WHO'S SEEN A GHOSTLY DOG WITH RED EYES!

Ahem, there's a story here I think you'll enjoy. It's actually one of the first stories I read on here when I joined. In the comments to this story, someone suggested the red eyes be caused by light flare. As in seeing cats and dogs eyes caught in the light at night, they flare. Perhaps this ghost dog's red eyes is a similar phenomena which occurs in the spirit realm. Like getting red eyes from a flash in a photo.

I can't remember if it came up in the comments or within the story, but the home where this ghost dog visited was adjacent to a home who had a lot of Dobermans over the years.
Http://www.yourghoststories.com/real-ghost-story.php?story=21143
From memory this OP copped a lot of flack, but I felt she was being honest.

I highly doubt the dog which visited you meant you any harm. It sat down for heavens sake. Your reaction reminds me of some of my own when seeing a ghost. There's an overwhelming feeling and I think it's connected with our own sense of the unknown. It's pretty cool when you think about it. The dog you saw could have been someones pet from over the years. Or even a protective home/family guardian, typically animals.

Thanks for sharing and I hope this clears a few things up for you. Hope you're glad you had the experience now, even if it was terrifying at the time. 😊

PS there's probably other stories on here about dogs with red eyes, have a search around in the search bar to the right of the page.
2nd1st (1 stories) (118 posts)
 
8 years ago (2016-04-19)
Stories of ghostly dogs do seem common. But dogs have been close friends of humans for thousands of years so I suppose it makes sense that they would make their way into spirit folklore.

That's not to discount your story. My family have all been great dog lovers. My mother had had a couple if mediums at different readings seeing a dog sitting next to her. They described the dog in detail and it was a very specific match to a beloved dog she grew up with. The mediums had no way of knowing what the dog looked like as far as I can tell other than if they did actually see the dog next to her.

I've never had any reason to think that my two much loved dogs I grew up with are still around me but I hope they are.

The glowing eyes thing... Memory is reconstructive, not a recording. Is it possible that that detail may have become more significant in your memories over time?
Macknorton (5 stories) (646 posts)
+1
8 years ago (2016-04-19)
Hi Venator, to put that experience into context, have you had any other experiences such as that either before or after you saw this animal?

You know, to be frank, this kind of thing; the ghostly dog with red glowing eyes is more the stuff of folk lore and urban myths than anything else.

All I can say is; look on the bright side; at least it didn't leave muddy paw prints on the carpet, and it appeared to be reasonably well trained as it sat whilst it filled you with canine dread! Good boy! Now roll over! Goooood boy!

Regards

Mack
Venator_ignotarum (1 stories) (1 posts)
 
8 years ago (2016-04-19)
I'd be lying if I said I wasn't still a bit afraid, but more than that, it made me intensely curious. I've always been a believer in the paranormal, and this only made that more intense.

Specifically, I'd like to hear any similar stories people could direct me to, or anything from folklore that might pertain to this creature. After years of searching, I've found things that come close - hell hounds, and black dogs, primarily, but there are things that don't quite match my experience. So, I'm always seeking new articles, stories and the like, trying to figure out as much as I can. While still a horrifying, traumatic event, all these years later, it's become my personal mystery.
lady-glow (16 stories) (3154 posts)
+2
8 years ago (2016-04-18)
Venator: welcome to YGS.

I hope you do not take my words on the wrong way but, -what kind of help are you looking for if this experience happened around a decade ago? Would you like someone to explain what this dog was?

The truth is, some things are just unexplained and a person should consider himself lucky to have experienced something that proves that there's more to life than that we can see, touch and reproduce in a lab.

Let go of your fear and enjoy life.

Thanks for sharing.

To publish a comment or vote, you need to be logged in (use the login form at the top of the page). If you don't have an account, sign up, it's free!

Search this site: